Photo
- - - - -

Another missed scandal

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,308 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:37 PM

http://www.suntimes....urbin13.article

The media will usually look to see if there is a (D) after a senators name before they decide whether or not to call it a scandal. I could just see MSNBC going ape if it were a Republican. Alas, more of the same. Bet Olberman never brings it up accept to defend Durbin.

#2 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,631 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:43 PM

Shouldn't you name this thread "Another bit of useless information that says nothing"?

As U.S. stock markets plummeted last September, the Senate's No. 2 Democrat, Dick Durbin, sold more than $115,000 worth of stocks and mutual-fund shares and used much of the money to invest in Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Inc.

The Illinois senator's 2008 financial disclosure statement shows he sold mutual-fund shares worth $42,696 on Sept. 19, the day after then-Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson and Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke urged congressional leaders in a closed meeting to craft legislation to help financially troubled banks. The same day, he bought $43,562 worth of Berkshire Hathaway's Class B stock, the disclosure shows.

Altogether, Durbin sold investments worth $116,000 in September. By Oct. 2, he had invested $98,046 in Omaha, Neb.-based Berkshire Hathaway, the form shows.

The Standard & Poor's 500 index plunged 4.7 percent last Sept. 15 after the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. and Bank of America Corp.'s government-engineered takeover of Merrill Lynch & Co. By the end of October, the index had fallen 22.6 percent.

"Durbin was doing what a lot of other people were doing, taking a look at their savings" and seeing it "start to tank and trying to preserve some level of wealth by getting out of the market," said his spokesman, Joe Shoemaker.

Shoemaker said Durbin didn't capitalize on anything Paulson and Bernanke told congressional leaders at the Sept. 18 meeting.

Whatever information Paulson gave lawmakers wasn't secret or classified and was disclosed publicly the next day, Shoemaker said.

Sounds like a smart investor.

#3 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,308 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:47 PM

And this is what I was speaking of the other day about the media.
The media will hold off and check out everything before reporting this.
If it were an ® beside his name, CNN and the rest would have had it in their first 5 minutes of broadcast.

® means crook
(D) means smart investor

#4 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:58 PM

And this is what I was speaking of the other day about the media.
The media will hold off and check out everything before reporting this.
If it were an ® beside his name, CNN and the rest would have had it in their first 5 minutes of broadcast.

® means crook
(D) means smart investor

Whitewater

#5 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,631 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:05 PM

Whaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh over nothing yet again...

#6 jkeough

jkeough

poop

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:27 PM

isnt playing the stock market a way to make money?

#7 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,631 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:32 PM

only if you are a Republican, apparently. If you are a Democrat, you can only make money by taking it from the mouths of starving Republican children.

#8 jkeough

jkeough

poop

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:35 PM

only if you are a Republican, apparently. If you are a Democrat, you can only make money by taking it from the mouths of starving Republican children.

no such thing

#9 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,631 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:40 PM

Wow, people are kind of winning my arguments for me today!

#10 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:06 PM

Wow, people are kind of winning my arguments for me today!

Your own avatar disgusts you, doesn't it?

#11 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,631 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:11 PM

Only because the Yankees symbol is not yet covered in blood.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com