Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Accorsi doesn't believe in taking offensive lineman in the 1st round

62 posts in this topic

Posted

Ok, then they better find somebody that can play RG. Cause fug going into 2012 with Gross-Silatolu-Kalil-Hangartner-Bell. Our depth is G. Williams, Campbell, Ziemba, Byers, Austin, and Z. Williams (who hasn't been healthy in 2 years). You guys dismiss OL to quickly. A quality offensive line can fix a lot of issues.

there are more places to find OL than in the draft.

i'm sure that RG will be addressed in FA.

really, all that is needed is an upgrade at RG and for the OL to be healthy and get the OL gelling quicker than they have in previous years. and no more rookies on the OL, either.

the OL isn't in all that bad shape as long as we have kalil where he's supposed to be and a RG that isn't a scrub. the left side will be better with silatolu having a year under his belt and bell is still growing (tho he could be upgraded pretty easily and cheaply in FA and probably should be).

Posted

I will continue to say OL in the first. But that's just my opinion.

just asking...have we met with are are we scheduled to meet with any OTs in the draft? i know we haven't/don't with OGs. pretty safe to say that OG won't be taken in the first. OT depends on how much they've looked at them.

Posted

I'm to the point that I don't care who is taken in the first as long as they are immediate starting and making an impact.

preferences aside, that's the mindset i've had for a few years.

Posted

there are more places to find OL than in the draft.

i'm sure that RG will be addressed in FA.

really, all that is needed is an upgrade at RG and for the OL to be healthy and get the OL gelling quicker than they have in previous years. and no more rookies on the OL, either.

the OL isn't in all that bad shape as long as we have kalil where he's supposed to be and a RG that isn't a scrub. the left side will be better with silatolu having a year under his belt and bell is still growing (tho he could be upgraded pretty easily and cheaply in FA and probably should be).

Speaking of health, that's another thing Gentlemen needs to address. Our team seems to lack toughness. They should name the IR after the Panthers. Maybe that's because the guys knew they were safe with Hurney at the helm. Maybe it will be a thing of the past. Regardless, We need to draft some tough SOBs, no matter the position.

1 person likes this

Posted

Speaking of health, that's another thing Gentlemen needs to address. Our team seems to lack toughness. They should name the IR after the Panthers. Maybe that's because the guys knew they were safe with Hurney at the helm. Maybe it will be a thing of the past. Regardless, We need to draft some tough SOBs, no matter the position.

If they can transport into my PS3 I can XP some toughness to their attributes in Madden 13..Brandon Hogan will always be able to run!!!!

Posted

Just think about it like this...

Replace Colbert, Jarrett, Marshall, Shelton, Ellison and the like from our blown second and third rounders under Hurney with an offensive lineman, and imagine how many quality starters you would still have.

Posted

all these threads about how easy it is to find and develop OL are made pretty moot by the fact that our OL sucks. if it were that easy we'd have done it.

If we would've held on to all of our mid-to-late-round OL picks from all those years instead of trying to patchwork our line with quality backups from other teams, our OL wouldn't be this bad.

Posted

No to tavon. Need a big body guy

Big is overrated. We just need a tough guy with a big heart, no matter the size.

Posted

You are 100% correct in OL being too low a priority on this board.

I wouldn't necessarily say that's true. Some people just believe that good to great offensive lineman have to be developed, and/or acquired through FA due to the somewhat perilous nature of drafting them with high picks---picks that could be used for genuine play-makers that are more likely to have a more immediate impact.

Posted

Under Gettleman, Giants have never drafted offensive lineman in first round. They either drafted DEs, DBs, WR, and or RB. They also drafted for position of need.

Didn't know this. Good info.

Posted

too bad there aren't more DBs in this draft. Would be great to get a good one at 14

Posted

preferences aside, that's the mindset i've had for a few years.

I'm behind the kurb then.