Photo
- - - - -

The problem, Hardy and C.J. gives us so much, we have to give Hardy some of what he wants

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 thunderraiden

thunderraiden

Thunder God Member

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

TLDR AT BOTTOM

We all know Hardy wants that big contract, we all know we ain't got room for it, and we all know that Gettis isn't going to give Hardy's agent exactly what he wants.. which is C.J.'s contract. I say we can live with mediocre defensive tackles, maybe we draft a gem after try # 20, who knows, but I think without so much money wrapped into linebackers now, we could invest next year with having the start of a defensive end dynasty. We already have a stud linebacker with 2 other linebackers that are studs if they can go full speed. Our secondary was fine without Gamble last year, our Safeties lost us games. But what if via draft/free agency our safety situation changed and evolved over the next 5-6 years, how dominant of a pass rush would we have while Cam comes into his prime putting a lot of teams behind?

I know Hardy will be expensive, but what I'm saying, is that if we keep him, the entire secondary as a whole can be playing the marinara on Sunday's for the next 6 years and it wouldn't matter because most teams would be giving up sacks while they are behind.

TL;DR:We should try everything short of C.J. contract or above to keep Hardy as it will allow us to not have a secondary.

Play with this to get an idea of Gettleman's philosophy. Just click the switch botton that looks like your browsers "Refresh" button but much larger, to get the defense of the giants and the defense of the panthers up. Not much difference.
http://www.guardian....rolina-panthers

#2 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,553 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

If Frank Alexander flashes this year, Hardy is probably as good as traded.

#3 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,227 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

Somebody showed the numbers a few weeks back that showed CJ's contract made him a likely cap casualty toward the end of it. He'd be right near 30 and would be garnering an absolutely stupid cap hit.

If Hardy comes out and plays well again, we may try to move Johnson or just cut him outright.

#4 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,916 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

Somebody showed the numbers a few weeks back that showed CJ's contract made him a likely cap casualty toward the end of it. He'd be right near 30 and would be garnering an absolutely stupid cap hit.

If Hardy comes out and plays well again, we may try to move Johnson or just cut him outright.

Seems like the most logical move.

#5 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 19,655 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

Gettleman is making his mark. No more ridiculous contracts. He'll be fair. And if the player doesn't like it, he can leave. If a player doesn't want to restructure to help the team then be cut or traded. No more bending over and taking it raw like Hurney loved to do with players.

#6 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,338 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

People on this board on gonna flip poo if Hardy gets traded....But it is the logical moove.

#7 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,338 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

Double post.

#8 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,222 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

The notion that you "have to" pay a certain player is kind of what got us to the spot we're in now :unsure:

#9 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:43 PM

Hardy has played well for us but only in his/just before contract yr:
Tck. Sck. F
2012 61 (41). 11 (12.5) 2 (7) 2011 50 (40) 4. (9). 1 (1) 2010 30 (62) 3 (11.5) 2 (1)
CJ's numbers are in (). I don't see a big contract rght now. Hopefully CJ may restructure so we can resign him to a resonable contract.

#10 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 19,678 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:02 PM

Hardy should talk to his buddy CJ about wanting a new contract since he's eating a lot of the cap.

#11 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 19,678 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:10 PM

The notion that you "have to" pay a certain player is kind of what got us to the spot we're in now :unsure:

Yup, agree. And to pay a player the certain amount of money on the market is the bigger problem. We overpaid CJ thinking Ray Edwards was going to get a huge deal somewhere (Atl), while he who had almost identical stats to CJ coming out of FA was had for like "half" of CJ's contract. We paid Dwill, etc. money that was the market value.

Good teams in whatever reasons find ways to keep or add players for less than their market value i.e., Seattle signings of Avril and Bennett.

#12 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,197 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:22 AM

yep. this mindset needs to be avoided. cam and maybe kuechly are the only two players this should be applied to and even then we shouldn't pay above market value.

#13 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,573 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:50 AM

Hardy is so versatile that Alexander has some major shoes to fill...

#14 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,647 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:10 AM

If Frank Alexander flashes this year, Hardy is probably as good as traded.

Let me present this scenario that was thought up in another thread.

CJ turns 30 in a couple of years.
Hardy is younger and could actually cost less if the contract is done properly.
Alexander could also become a stud.

Keep CJ
Sign Hardy to an extension with low cap impact the first couple of years.
Cut/Trade CJ when he hits 30+ and causes low dead money.
Re-sign Alexander at cheaper deal.

http://www.spotrac.c...harles-johnson/
In 2015 we can cut CJ and actually save almost 4 million

Just a thought.

#15 PantherBrew

PantherBrew

Educated White Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,118 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:19 AM

Let me present this scenario that was thought up in another thread.

CJ turns 30 in a couple of years.
Hardy is younger and could actually cost less if the contract is done properly.
Alexander could also become a stud.

Keep CJ
Sign Hardy to an extension with low cap impact the first couple of years.
Cut/Trade CJ when he hits 30+ and causes low dead money.
Re-sign Alexander at cheaper deal.

http://www.spotrac.c...harles-johnson/
In 2015 we can cut CJ and actually save almost 4 million

Just a thought.

This would be okay.

However, this is all under the assumption that Hardy's career and production arc follows CJ. Also, this is assuming that personality and off the field issues are not a problem.

Lest we not forget, Hardy is the same guy who thought it was a good idea to raise hell on a motor cycle.

Granted, he may have matured. But when talking about 60-70+ million contracts, it may be a thing of the past.

The texans let Mario Williams walk and they replaced him with younger, cheaper option.

I'd rather use players to gain assets then draft well, and plug with cheap veterans.

Keep guys hungry for money.

Setting up a system that keeps players motivated, disciplined, and humble.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com