Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Police: North Carolina man accidentially killed son while cleaning shotgun

66 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I don't like guns, they scare me. But common sense has to tell you to never bring guns around kids and to make sure the gun is empty. Really feel for this father, sometimes people get too comfortable with guns and accidents like this happen. Very sad.

Posted · Report post

I received my first real shotgun when I was about 15. I got it from my dad that Christmas morning.

We had taken it outside on the back deck and had fired a couple shells through it just to check it out.

We came back inside and I was standing by him in his chair as he was showing me (and figuring it out himself, since it was an odd single action Russian make weapon). He closed the action with a shell in it, and the gun discharged... right there into the living room wall, destroying a lamp and the wall behind it with #8 bird shot.

This story could have been about me, and my situation was a total accident.

My dad and myself learned a valuable lesson that day. It was one that we carelessly disregarded at that point, but the very "realness" of the incident made us both respect guns a whole lot more.

I'm still a strong supporter of people arming themselves. But my story and this tragedy are examples of how, if you're going to be a gun owner, you need to be very very very very responsible.

There is risk involved. Absolutely. But put yourself in a situation like this father now finds himself in. Make absolutely sure that you do everything you possibly can so that it isn't you or someone you love that we're reading about next time.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Panthro' timestamp='1364392535' post='2177571']
Do you consider yourself a responsible driver?

Ever sped?
Ever had a beer too many then drove?
Ever roll stopped a stop sign?
Ever not wear a seatbelt?

Surely you cannot be considered a responsible driver if you've ever done any of those...[b]oh you can[/b]
[/quote]

If you do all of that, especially the second one, then I would say no you can't be considered a responsible driver.

Besides, I thought the analogy of vehicles was off limits.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Panthro' timestamp='1364401795' post='2177839']
I agree on the assumed risk. This kids would be alive if not for the gun. Assumed risk.
[/quote]

Yeah...but someone who died in a car accident would be slice if the did not get in a car.

Someone who drowned in the ocean would be Alice if they had not give swimming.

By your illogical logic, we should ban cars and swimming.

Guy was completely irresponsible....you don't clean a gun unless you KNOW it is unloaded. And, you never clean a gun around kids.

Guy was at fault....yet as usual you try and blame the gun.

Posted · Report post

Oh I completely blame the guy. I don't feel bad though because he knew the risk and thought owning a gun was more important than the safety of his kid.

Assumed risk.

My kid won't accidentally shot by me since I don't own a gun.

Posted · Report post

1. Treat every weapon as if it were loaded
2. Never point your weapon at anything you don't intend to shoot
3. Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire
4. Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire.

PROFIT.

How fuging hard is that???? He should have cleared the weapon before cleaning, and even while cleaning he shouldn't have been 'flagging' anybody with it. Some people should be fuging lobotomized and sterilized. If this dumbass had been sterilized his kid wouldn't be dead.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Panthro' timestamp='1364430884' post='2178728']
Oh I completely blame the guy. I don't feel bad though because he knew the risk and thought owning a gun was more important than the safety of his kid.

Assumed risk.

My kid won't accidentally shot by me since I don't own a gun.
[/quote]

I respect your decision.

I only own one gun (a pistol)....I keep it locked away in a gun safe with a finger print and keypad lock. I NEVER get it out if my kids are anywhere around. Accidental firings can happen and I don't want to live through what the father in this story will have to live through.

I have it there for one and only one reason....protection in the event of a home invasion.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Hoplomachus' timestamp='1364431716' post='2178741']
1. Treat every weapon as if it were loaded
2. Never point your weapon at anything you don't intend to shoot
3. Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire
4. Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire.

PROFIT.

How fuging hard is that???? He should have cleared the weapon before cleaning, and even while cleaning he shouldn't have been 'flagging' anybody with it. Some people should be fuging lobotomized and sterilized. If this dumbass had been sterilized his kid wouldn't be dead.
[/quote]

I agree 100%.

There is a valid debate to be made about assault weapons....and I am not going to get into that more here.

But, this was a case of an idiot having a HUGE lapse in judgement.

What he did was like jumping into his car in the driveway and just backing up without checking to see if anyone was behind him. If someone had done that, we would call the guy an idiot.....not blame the fact that he owned a car.

Posted · Report post

Simple IQ test needs to be a requirement for gun ownership

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Zod' timestamp='1364472169' post='2179091']
Simple IQ test needs to be a requirement for gun ownership
[/quote]

Or, at least mandatory gun safety training.....that has to be renewed every year or so.

Posted · Report post

"Poll taxing" on gun ownership.

Nah...minority rights don't matter if it's a liberal idea.

Regardless of the intent of your idea, it's stupid.

Posted · Report post

lol at minority rights

[yt]mxRCefkVBr8[/yt]