62 replies to this topic

#31 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,378 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:15 PM

You are comparing the 2 because you can't find another WR that was this raw, with this little of college exp. and this little amount of production at his pro position ever drafted in the top 15.

Top 10 picks -

Darrius Heyward-Bey - 2008 Maryland - 42 catches - 609 yards - 5 TD's
Ted Ginn JR. - 2006 OSU - 59 catches - 781 yards - 9 touchdowns
Troy Williamson - 2004 - Scar - 43 catches - 835 yards - 7 touchdowns

I mean there's plenty of other ones over the last 10 draft's, but those came off the top of my head. I just had to look up the stats for them. There's been other players taken in the top 5 that have never had a 1000 yard college season as well with in the last 5 or 6 drafts as well. These are just the players that have been taken in the top 10 as well, this list grows even larger if you include the top 15.

I imagine that the list would be probably 10-12 players deep just over the last 10 drafts if you include the top 15.

Patterson has more upside then any of the above I listed as well.

#32 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

Top 10 picks -

Darrius Heyward-Bey - 2008 Maryland - 42 catches - 609 yards - 5 TD's
Ted Ginn JR. - 2006 OSU - 59 catches - 781 yards - 9 touchdowns
Troy Williamson - 2004 - Scar - 43 catches - 835 yards - 7 touchdowns

I mean there's plenty of other ones over the last 10 draft's, but those came off the top of my head. I just had to look up the stats for them. There's been other players taken in the top 5 that have never had a 1000 yard college season as well with in the last 5 or 6 drafts as well. These are just the players that have been taken in the top 10 as well, this list grows even larger if you include the top 15.

I imagine that the list would be probably 10-12 players deep just over the last 10 drafts if you include the top 15.

My bad I forgot to add "and succeeded ".

Bay was at UM for 3 years

Ginn was at Ohio State for 2

You're right with Willamson.

But as you can see from your examples it didn't work out to well.

#33 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:27 PM

CarpanFan did you see path to draft and the risk and reward segment last night?

#34 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,378 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:27 PM

My bad I forgot to add "and succeeded ".

Bay was at UM for 3 years

Ginn was at Ohio State for 2

You're right with Willamson.

But as you can see from your examples it didn't work out to well.

None of those guys set records in the SEC either though, which Patterson did. Gotta be kinda hard to do considering how tough the SEC has become. I just don't feel like doing the research on this, but I know there's a couple of prospects that succeeded in the NFL.

#35 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:33 PM

None of those guys set records in the SEC either though, which Patterson did. Gotta be kinda hard to do considering how tough the SEC has become. I just don't feel like doing the research on this, but I know there's a couple of prospects that succeeded in the NFL.

In all purpose yards.

We have enough RB to take hand off and now we have Ginn for KR/PR.

What we need is a WR. I wish he had set records in being just that.

#36 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,378 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

The last situation that this really came up in was a while back, Guy was in school for three years but only saw a lot of playing time in year 3 because he switched from QB to WR was way back in 1993 when Curtis Conway was selected 7th overall based on talent and potential not production.

He went on to play in the NFL for 12 years scoring over 50 total touchdowns. He was even less polished then Patterson and he did pretty fine. That's really the only situation minus Williamson that I can find for a player with as little playing time as Patterson does.

Patterson also blew it up in Juco as well, so he's got a bit more experience under his belt and has shown way more flashes then any of the past examples that I can find.

#37 BigSyke

BigSyke

I Know you Watching me but I'm watching you too Playa...

• HUDDLER
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

Man we can use past players all day to justify any current player.

You either like a prospect or you don't.

#38 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

The last situation that this really came up in was a while back, Guy was in school for three years but only saw a lot of playing time in year 3 because he switched from QB to WR was way back in 1993 when Curtis Conway was selected 7th overall based on talent and potential not production.

He went on to play in the NFL for 12 years scoring over 50 total touchdowns. He was even less polished then Patterson and he did pretty fine. That's really the only situation minus Williamson that I can find for a player with as little playing time as Patterson does.

Patterson also blew it up in Juco as well, so he's got a bit more experience under his belt and has shown way more flashes then any of the past examples that I can find.

Conway Really??? That's the best you can come up with??

Well lets go ahead and bust that bubble for you.

Conway never lived up to being the 7th pick in the draft.

http://espn.go.com/n...8/curtis-conway

He had more season with less then 500 yards receiving then he did 1,000 yard.

Just by comaprison

Steve Smith who has played 12 season

http://espn.go.com/n...622/steve-smith

Has 7 1,000 yard season 28 more TD rec. and 3,232 more yards.

Now if that's what you want out of a top 15 pick then have at it.

#39 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:33 PM

CarpanFan did you see path to the draft and Mayock's risk reward segment??

#40 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,378 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:38 PM

CarpanFan did you see path to the draft and Mayock's risk reward segment??

Yea, Mayock has repeatedly said that Patterson was a top 10 player that wouldn't go in the top 10 but around the 17-20 mark.

#41 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

Yea, Mayock has repeatedly said that Patterson was a top 10 player that wouldn't go in the top 10 but around the 17-20 mark.

What about the other issues he mention?? And the fact he is on a risk reward segment should make you nervous as well.

#42 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:46 PM

The Conway thing makes me not want Patterson even more. Wow that's the best player you can come up with.

#43 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,378 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

What about the other issues he mention?? And the fact he is on a risk reward segment should make you nervous as well.

Not really, every player in the draft is Risk vs Reward. All at the same rate as well, you just can't tell what's going to happen with a player. There's been plenty of sure things that have been bust in the NFL and just as many players who weren't expected to do anything becoming pro bowl players.

A player being named on a risk - reward segment doesn't bother me at all.

I'm not even saying he'd be the only guy I'd look at with the 14th pick, I just Like the combination of Size, speed, agility, vision and the high potential he has. He's like a taller Tavon Austin, just explosive after the catch or with the ball in his hands. He just hasn't had the playing time to polish his fundamentals like Austin has. He's got a higher upside though then Austin just because of his size and arm length.

If you note you'll see Mayock call Patterson the most explosive player in the draft, then mention Tavon Austin. It's pretty crazy that you can compare a 6-2, 217 pound WR to a 5-9, 175 pound WR on explosiveness and it be questionable on which one has more pop.

That's freakish athletic ability at Patterson's size.

Sometimes you've got to take chances to hit the lotto and the Panther's have been playing it safe the last decade. Last time they took a big gamble it payed off with Newton.

That Newton pick certainly looks good right now doesn't it?

#44 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,378 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:54 PM

The Conway thing makes me not want Patterson even more. Wow that's the best player you can come up with.

it's really the only comparable situation rawness wise that I could find, there might be other examples though.

#45 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:23 PM

Not really, every player in the draft is Risk vs Reward. All at the same rate as well, you just can't tell what's going to happen with a player. There's been plenty of sure things that have been bust in the NFL and just as many players who weren't expected to do anything becoming pro bowl players.

A player being named on a risk - reward segment doesn't bother me at all.

I'm not even saying he'd be the only guy I'd look at with the 14th pick, I just Like the combination of Size, speed, agility, vision and the high potential he has. He's like a taller Tavon Austin, just explosive after the catch or with the ball in his hands. He just hasn't had the playing time to polish his fundamentals like Austin has. He's got a higher upside though then Austin just because of his size and arm length.

If you note you'll see Mayock call Patterson the most explosive player in the draft, then mention Tavon Austin. It's pretty crazy that you can compare a 6-2, 217 pound WR to a 5-9, 175 pound WR on explosiveness and it be questionable on which one has more pop.

That's freakish athletic ability at Patterson's size.

Sometimes you've got to take chances to hit the lotto and the Panther's have been playing it safe the last decade. Last time they took a big gamble it payed off with Newton.

That Newton pick certainly looks good right now doesn't it?

Yeah I don't think Ron wants to gamble with his job or Gettle wants to gamble with his 1st pick in his 1st year as a GM in a 40 year career in football. Just saying a lot is riding for them to take that kind of gamble.

Allen is the safer and smarter pick if they go WR in the 1st round and there are 2nd round wr with pretty good upside as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com