MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,998 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

And here is the root of the problem.

People treat Christianity like a smorgasbord. Oh hey, that looks good, I'll have a bit of that. Nope, don't like that, I'll pass. Oh wow, look at that dessert, yes please.

If this were true of any religion, one would expect numerous groups to develop over time each with their own varied set of beliefs.

Kinda like this....

http://en.wikipedia....n_denominations

Jesus did not preach "hate".....yet you think that he hated people who had wealth.....regardless of whether the person was a kind and just person.

Talk about ignorance...you just took the cake.

#62 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,963 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:10 AM

So Delhommey, you interpret that scripture not to mean "do not love wealth or depend on your wealth" but
"Jesus hates rich people"

Now I see why you view God, Jesus, the Bible, the way you do.

#63 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,529 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:11 AM

Do people really understand why it's more difficult for a rich person to get to heaven?

The moneychangers reference was where Jesus was busting up a scam with priests dictating law and when the people would break these laws...they'd then SELL sacrifices to people from within the temple. It was quite the scam.

Separate issues...but answer the first question.

#64 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,963 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:14 AM

The same scripture could be used today and send half of the congregations home shaking their heads just like the rich young ruler. Some "Christians" value they wealth and standing, far more than they value their faith. If Jesus were to tell them to sell their goods, give to the poor, and follow him, they would have the same reaction.

Oh, and Jesus does not hate them either. Just illustrates their hypocrisy

#65 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:17 AM

Jesus did not preach "hate".....yet you think that he hated people who had wealth.....regardless of whether the person was a kind and just person.

Talk about ignorance...you just took the cake.

Of course Jesus did not preach hating people. Thats obvious...

BUT.....

Jesus did preach to hate sin.

My point was that just as you did, many people will "interpret" the bible around their lifestyle like a smorgasbord. I don't blame them for doing it, mind you, as all of it is just silly. But when they take those "interpreted beliefs" and use them in voting as a basis for their decision making it effects all of us.

I'd much prefer logic and reason in the voting booth over faith in their interpreted dogma.

#66 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

Bible verse says something Conservative Christians agree with:
"The Bible is the LITERAL word of God, and the Bible clearly says..."

Bible verse says something Conservative Christians disagree with:
"Well you have to understand the context. Not all the Bible is literal."

#67 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

Do people really understand why it's more difficult for a rich person to get to heaven?

The moneychangers reference was where Jesus was busting up a scam with priests dictating law and when the people would break these laws...they'd then SELL sacrifices to people from within the temple. It was quite the scam.

Separate issues...but answer the first question.

Seems like you don't understand it. You may want to do some study on the subject.

A rich person has a more difficult time getting into heaven because he is not doing what was instructed.... ie loving thy neighbor and helping the poor. If you have accumulated wealth while others in your community live in poverty, you have failed as a Christian.

(prediction: this is not a desirable smorgasbord item, lets interpret around it)

#68 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,963 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

BUT.....

My point was that just as you did, many people will "interpret" the bible around their lifestyle like a smorgasbord. I don't blame them for doing it, mind you, as all of it is just silly. But when they take those "interpreted beliefs" and use them in voting as a basis for their decision making it effects all of us.

I'd much prefer logic and reason in the voting booth over faith in their interpreted dogma.

Herein is the major rub for all of us.

Following Jesus/God is good for society when they like the teachings, love your neighbor, do good to others, turn the other cheek, etc. The problem is when the parts you don't agree with come up. I am sure you are referring to the homosexuality discussions here. Jesus also hates divorce. Pre marital sex. Drunkedness (not drinking). There are many areas where you might agree with Christians when they are doing what you like, but hate them when the follow the other teachings.

Delhommey thinks Jesus hates rich people, most of you think Christians hate gay people. Neither could be further from the truth.

#69 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

Delhommey thinks Jesus hates rich people, most of you think Christians hate gay people. Neither could be further from the truth.

Oh, there are plenty of Christians that hate gay people. Not all, but plenty.

Of course Jesus does not hate rich people. He does hate sin however.

#70 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,963 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:26 AM

Seems like you don't understand it. You may want to do some study on the subject.

A rich person has a more difficult time getting into heaven because he is not doing what was instructed.... ie loving thy neighbor and helping the poor. If you have accumulated wealth while others in your community live in poverty, you have failed as a Christian.

(prediction: this is not a desirable smorgasbord item, lets interpret around it)

While I agree with part of your premise, many people equate what you do good and what you do bad as being Christian or not being Christian.

The heart and motivations are more key than actions or lack thereof. Ideally, good actions will be born out of a good heart, but they can also be born out of a coniving, self serving heart. If the poor got help, great, but if the giver wanted accolades, then he fails.

#71 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,963 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

Oh, there are plenty of Christians that hate gay people. Not all, but plenty.

Of course Jesus does not hate rich people. He does hate sin however.

Very true. Most people look at others sin and decry while letting theirs get swept under the rug.

Many passages of scripture apply that that also. Plank/eye, cast first stone, etc.

#72 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,312 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

Mark 10:25
"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

Luke 6:24
"But woe to you who are rich, for you have already received your comfort."

Luke 16:22-25
" And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;  And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.  
And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented."

But I go to church on Christmas Eve and Easter, so I'm good.

#73 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:45 AM

I find all of this amusing.

A bunch of anti-religious people....using religion to justify their anti-wealthy agenda.

You guys should just admit what we all know....you are jealous of those who have achieved financial success.

Bluster Deflectors! Full Power!

#74 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,998 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

BUT.....

Achieving wealth and financial success is NOT a sin....no matter how much you liberals want to make it out as such.

My point is that you are judged on your actions and what is in your heart. A wealthy person can be a kind and just person.....just like a poor person can be a complete piece of poo.

And vice versa.

And, I agree with you about the voting booth. That is my biggest gripe with the far right in the Republican party. They allow their staunch religious views to dictate their entire agenda. And, they do not reflect how much of the Republican Party feels.

#75 Goondal

Goondal

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,518 posts
  • LocationHighlands Ranch, CO

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

I am not sure what a paid holiday is, but I sure would like to get in on some of that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com