Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:00 AM

Hard work = financial success

Remember that, kids.

Can I work hard and not achieve financial success? Can I only work a little and have financial success? I'm an idiot so if you could tell me that would really help.

#107 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,319 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

Fwiw, Joseph of Arimethea was rich and Jesus seemed to be perfectly ok with him. So maybe jesus didn't have a problem with all rich people, just the stingy ones. :)

Btw, the temple money changers were not really like the IRS. They were more like stock traders and bankers in todays terminology, and I believe Jesus's main issue was them doing it in the temple.

#108 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

Fwiw, Joseph of Arimethea was rich and Jesus seemed to be perfectly ok with him. So maybe jesus didn't have a problem with all rich people, just the stingy ones. :)

Of course not he was required for the prophecy in Isaiah whatever whatever.

#109 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,208 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

How many times does Jesus have to say give everything you have away for Christians to actually think that he meant it. If that isn't good enough. Look at Jesus, was he a rich man with a fancy home, fancy clothes, eating and drinking fancy foods, entertaining himself to death? No. He had nothing and ran around telling everyone the Kingdom is coming soon. I hear/heard Christains all the time saying they want to be like Christ and memic him yet their lives look nothing like His did.

So would this mean you are a fan of Jesus? But not some of the hypocritical followers?

I agree with you,

#110 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,162 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

Seems like you don't understand it. You may want to do some study on the subject.

A rich person has a more difficult time getting into heaven because he is not doing what was instructed.... ie loving thy neighbor and helping the poor. If you have accumulated wealth while others in your community live in poverty, you have failed as a Christian.

(prediction: this is not a desirable smorgasbord item, lets interpret around it)

The entire gist of your statement can be summed up in the final sentence.

"you have failed as a christian"

Someone's wealth around you has absolutely nothing to do with your success or failure as a christian. Does it mean you help your neighbour? Absolutely. The reason Jesus tested so many with money during his time was to test what they felt was most important to them (aka idolotry wrt to money). Give away all your money and FOLLOW ME. It had nothing to do with who he gave to. He could've taken all his posessions and put them in a pile and set it afire. Had nothing to do with the point he was trying to make. The point he was trying to make was that he wasn't dedicated to helping save people's lives through salvation. He chose to continue his life and go back to his riches and holdings.

Good deeds does not make a christian.

#111 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 19,179 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

what is "don't eat pork" a metaphor for?

Don't share a bed with Rosie O'Donnel

#112 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

Good deeds does not make a christian.

(looks around)

True.

#113 Mvp2014

Mvp2014

Phenom

• HUDDLER
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

I takes what i can gets.

#114 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,086 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

Hard work = financial success

Remember that, kids.

Ignorance and laziness = Delhommey

Remember that, kids

#115 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• HUDDLER
  • 7,866 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

I can't stand hardcore Christians or hardcore Athiests...

Nobody really knows what the fug is going on

Were spinning on a rock through space for crying out loud.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

#116 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,443 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

Btw, the temple money changers were not really like the IRS. They were more like stock traders and bankers in todays terminology, and I believe Jesus's main issue was them doing it in the temple.

Joseph's role with Jesus was updated throughout early Christendom. At first he was just a guy who put crucified bodies in tombs in order to comply with Jewish burial laws, but later he was updated to be a follower of Jesus. It's unclear what he was, really.

And regarding taxes, Matthew was a tax collector and of course we have the "That which belongs to Caesar render unto Caeser" line. Still, not even Jesus could love taxes.

#117 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,079 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

So would this mean you are a fan of Jesus? But not some of the hypocritical followers?

I agree with you,

I'm neither a fan or hater of the historical Jesus. Some of his advice is decent, some isn't, which is expected from someone who lived 2000 years ago. And yes his followers that are loud mouth hypocrites annoy me.

#118 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,208 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

Joseph's role with Jesus was updated throughout early Christendom. At first he was just a guy who put crucified bodies in tombs in order to comply with Jewish burial laws, but later he was updated to be a follower of Jesus. It's unclear what he was, really.

And regarding taxes, Matthew was a tax collector and of course we have the "That which belongs to Caesar render unto Caeser" line. Still, not even Jesus could love taxes.

The "money changers" and "tax collectors" were both price gougers per se.

The money changers took advantage of folks who HAD to buy their items for the yearly sacrifice and the mc'ers took horrible advantage charging them many times what the fair market value was on lambs, doves, etc. And they did this not outside the town, not inside the town, but inside the very temple. Thus, the reaction of Jesus.

The tax collectors did more than just collect for the government. If you owed 10, they charged you 20, keeping a portion for themselves. Thus, all Jews hated those who collected taxes, they saw them in such an unfair light, they did not associate with them, nor did they want Jesus to do so.

Jesus never spoke against taxes, but always against unfair advantage.

#119 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,319 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

The Jews hated the tax collectors because they collected taxes for an occupying power, the Romans.

#120 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,305 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

Jesus was sitting among some pharisees and a servant woman came in and began to clean his feet with alabastar. The pharisees rebuked pointing out how much of that could be used on the poor. Good answer right?
But Jesus said the poor you will always have and pointed out the woman for her heart of serving.
Does this mean Jesus hates the poor? No. Time and place and the context is everything.
But good to see some passages about Jesus being used.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.