Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gross's new contract voids in 2014. OT now moves up priority list

118 posts in this topic

Posted

Worth noting that while he's taking a pay cut this year, he's taking a huge hit next year. Under his old contract he was scheduled to make $7.7 million ($6.7 base + $1 roster bonus) next season. However, with his base salary reduced to $1 million and all signing bonuses already paid, the most he can make under the current contract is $2 million next year (and that's assuming the roster bonus is carried over into the new deal).

So even if it is an option, I think he could easily make more than $2 million on the open market.

He has a 2 million dollar roster bonus for 2014 in the new deal.

Posted

He has a 2 million dollar roster bonus for 2014 in the new deal.

Ahh, didn't notice that before. Thanks, so $4 million.

That right there tells me it doesn't "auto-void." Why give a player a roster bonus if there's no chance he can get it? It's not like we get cap relief from it or something.

EDIT: Or maybe just $3 million, since the $2 million roster bonus likely takes the place of the $1 bonus on the old deal.

Posted

He does.

We are victims of horrible local coverage.

I'm sure some beat writer for the montreal allouetes will provide us with the scoop soon enough

Posted

I already considered LT a priority.

I'll wait until we see the contract details before i start to believe gross we be gone next season.

Posted

This reeks of an under the table agreement for him to opt out next year and renegotiate a team friendly deal.

Still, he'll be 34 then, this is a major risk for him to take. I guess team loyalty happens sometimes?

Posted

Still want a wr with 1st pick

Posted

Great of Gross to do this. Would be nice if we didn't somehow fug him over for it next year.

Posted

It's really a three year extension, he's got a roster bonus in 2014 worth 2 million and will make around 10 million total over the next two seasons.

Posted

this still doesnt change the fact that one of the top 3 ot wont be available at 14

Posted

A guy with the understanding of how NFL contracts work.

Gross' '14-'17 years automatically void if he is on Carolina's roster on the 5th day of the '14 league year waiver period (2/7).

https://twitter.com/corryjoel

Posted

Wow, retarded deal for Gettleman and the Panthers. Wow. It actually cost them money over the next two years vs if they had just normally cut him after this season.

Posted

Well this isn't confusing at all. I'm just gonna sit this out until someone can say what the fug is going on. Where is Hurney with his simple 10-year $500 mill contracts? :(