• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#46 XClown1986

XClown1986

I'm Rick Grimes, Bitch

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

What can happen????? The team isn't going to be able to get one in FA, they shouldn't be in place to get one that can start immediately year one in next years draft either. That leaves this years draft with the team picking in no man's land for LT talent.

Dude you need to take half a valium. This restructure essentially is the same thing as spreading a cap hit over two years, while also getting to keep the player for one of those years. Also, Gettleman has stated that he has to be thoughtful, not only in free agency, but how the cap is handled as a whole, as well as how the team drafts. Can we see what happens next before we declare Cam a dead man in 2014?

#47 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,670 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

The problem is the Panther's would've saved more money next year by keeping him on the old deal.

You really need to quit worrying about cap figures outside of the current year. There's just to many things that can and will happen between now and then to make any accurate assumptions about a cap crisis. Williams could, and more than likely will be cut after this year. There are also restructures waiting to happen. Try to stay in the present my friend.

#48 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,712 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

This is how Rotoworld released the news:

Gross was scheduled to make $8.7M this season, an untenable number for the cap-strapped Panthers. He'll now earn $5.5M, and will be able to void his 2014 contract on Feb. 7 of next year. Gross, now entering his age-33 season, was ProFootballFocus' No. 14 left tackle last season. Mar 27 - 12:56 PM

#49 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,571 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

Dude you need to take half a valium. This restructure essentially is the same thing as spreading a cap hit over two years, while also getting to keep the player for one of those years. Also, Gettleman has stated that he has to be thoughtful, not only in free agency, but how the cap is handled as a whole, as well as how the team drafts. Can we see what happens next before we declare Cam a dead man in 2014?

I took a whole one, my head was hurting.

#50 BigBeezy

BigBeezy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

yes, next years class is very strong at LT. However only a couple of those guys will be ready to come in and start right away.

I think Lewan, Matthews, and Hurst all could end up being Day 1 starters in the NFL as well as Yankey and Kouandjio, if they decide to come out. Good thing is they all have another year to improve.

#51 mario

mario

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

5.6 million cap hit once the deal voids, if he would've been cut next year his cap hit would've been around 1-2 million at most.

It would have been 2 million under the old deal. So the difference is about 3.6. They have free up 6.8 in cap space this year. What's the problem?

#52 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,312 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

Well this isn't confusing at all. I'm just gonna sit this out until someone can say what the fug is going on. Where is Hurney with his simple 10-year $500 mill contracts? :(

Lol

#53 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,571 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

It would have been 2 million under the old deal. So the difference is about 3.6. They have free up 6.8 in cap space this year. What's the problem?

He only had 1 million in bonuses left on his contract minus his Roster bonus, which if he was cut wouldn't have mattered anyways. It still saves the team money, I'm just having fun while I'm stuck at home sick. lol

#54 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

The question is, is the 3rd best OT better than the 2nd best WR? Or CB? Or the top 1 or 2 safety?

BPA!!!!!!!!!!

#55 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,670 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

The question is, is the 3rd best OT better than the 2nd best WR? Or CB? Or the top 1 or 2 safety?

BPA!!!!!!!!!!

I doubt very much that we draft an OT with our first pick baring some remarkable draft day tumble by a top prospect. The likely scenario is that we draft a second or fourth round tackle to groom behind Gross during his last year with the team. We will also pick up a vet tackle during FA either this year or during the next off season, as a safety valve in case our drafted talent isn't ready to start.

#56 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,608 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:21 PM

^^^ i agree, there are several prospects in the 2-6 rounds that could be groomed to take over at LT.

#57 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,742 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

If Gross voids his contract after next year exactly how many folks will come out of the woodwork to bid on him? Next year it supposed to be tighter than this year and 2015 is supposed to be flat at well. Someone called the cap regressive not even flat as automatic costs for vet minimums etc continue to grow. He won't exactly be able to command top dollar and there should be plenty of folks around to pick up.

#58 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,571 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

Seriously, I expect them to use a pick on a LT with one of the first three picks depending on how the draft falls. Much more likely they use the 2nd rounder on one though.

#59 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

Didn't read all of the posts-sorry if stated already:

If you have Gross, you don't draft a LT in the first round. You have time to develop a raw prospect, one available later in the draft. Here are some ideas that could drop to the fourth round:

Quessenberry San Jose St
Faulk LSU

#60 jdpanther5

jdpanther5

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationBurlington

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

I guess the more I look at it, it makes at least some sense. Basically we could have cut him now and taken a $5m cap hit (or if June 1 cut, $3m this year and $2m next), but now we get him for another year, save a little money, and take a $3.6m cap hit next year (again, that could be reduced with a June 1 cut).

After talking to Joel Corry on twitter, turns out the roster bonus was in the old deal, so that wasn't added in the new deal. He also said we had less than $1 mil in cap space prior to the restructure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com