• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,991 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

Looks like he'll be going in first round.

Appearing on the Rich Eisen Podcast, NFL Films' Greg Cosell suggested Jonathan Cyprien of Florida International has a strong case to be the first safety selected in April's draft.
"This kid is really athletic," said Cosell. "When I watched him, I couldn't believe that he was 220 pounds and the way he moved. He had an interception against Louisville that was just unbelievable. He came from the middle of the field all the way to the sideline. For a second, it looked like Ed Reed. I don't think he'll be the first safety drafted, but I wouldn't have a problem if he was the first safety drafted." We expect Cyprien's draft window to begin at No. 18 with the Cowboys. The Rams at No. 22 could also be in play.

#2 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,829 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

projections are still projections, but with the lack of safety talent throughout the league, the position seems to be gaining appreciation.

#3 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,359 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Yep. His stock is rising every day.

#4 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,608 posts
  • LocationDa City

i can see him going at 14.Norris from roto mocked him there in early march.

#5 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

Wouldn't be surprised if the Panthers jumped on him at #14. Or traded back a few slots and hoped he was there. Panthers were set to take Mark Barron last year if Tampa didn't jump on him so safety is clearly on the radar. All depends on where they have him on their board...if he's BPA, do it.

#6 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,359 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

i can see him going at 14.Norris from roto mocked him there in early march.

The Panthers are interested in him for sure. He's interviewed and worked out with us on multiple occasions.

To me, he's the best safety in this draft. Cyprien can deliver huge hits and cover WRs and TEs.

#7 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,991 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

Dude is a hard hitting safety that can flat out fly. We got a major hole at FS. Giants are known for drafting DBs with 1st round. We'll see if Gettlemen does the same here.

#8 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,608 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

The Panthers are interested in him for sure. He's interviewed and worked out with us on multiple occasions.

To me, he's the best safety in this draft. Cyprien can deliver huge hits and cover WRs and TEs.

yep we talked to him at the senior bowl and worked him out the other day. i could see him here and being picked at #14 if he is BPA.

#9 OnlyPantherFaninMaine

OnlyPantherFaninMaine

All In.

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,436 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:22 PM

To be honest safety is one of those positions the Panthers have never really had a dominant player at. If he is deemed BPA at 14 and Gettleman and co. make the call to get him in a Panther uniform I will support the pick.

Would love a hard hitting/ball-hawking safety that can keep plays in front of him. Having an Ed Reed type to go with our version of Ray Lewis in his prime in Luke would go a long way to making this defense great...especially with our pass rush that should continue to get better.

#10 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,359 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

yep we talked to him at the senior bowl and worked him out the other day. i could see him here and being picked at #14 if he is BPA.

Me too. He's a vastly superior tackler than Vaccaro and covers better than Elam. The only knock on him is that he comes from a small school but he showcased that doesn't matter at the Senior Bowl. If the Panthers draft him at 14th, I sure as hell wouldn't whine.

#11 tiger7_88

tiger7_88

old skool SWAG

• HUDDLER
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

Panthers were set to take Mark Barron last year if Tampa didn't jump on him

Sometimes the best prayers are the unanswered ones.

#12 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,359 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

To be honest safety is one of those positions the Panthers have never really had a dominant player at. If he is deemed BPA at 14 and Gettleman and co. make the call to get him in a Panther uniform I will support the pick.

Would love a hard hitting/ball-hawking safety that can keep plays in front of him. Having an Ed Reed type to go with our version of Ray Lewis in his prime in Luke would go a long way to making this defense great...especially with our pass rush that should continue to get better.

Fans should also note that like Kuechly, Cyprien has good instincts and can diagnose a play very quickly. He appears like a meathead but his football IQ has been [quietly] praised.

#13 OnlyPantherFaninMaine

OnlyPantherFaninMaine

All In.

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,436 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

And he has dreadlocks. The more players on this team with dreads the better!

#14 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

He's a nice prospect but I can't say I'd be thrilled with him at 14. He likely won't be an elite coverage safety in the NFL. He's big and he isn't incredibly fast and those kind of guys typically don't morph into elite cover players. He can tackle well, sure, but I frankly don't care all that much about a safety's ability to provide run support when you compare it against his ability to cover the pass in today's game. The days of the box safety are quickly coming to and end and I don't know that I'd be ecstatic of spending the 14th pick on a guy whose likely to become known as a hard hitting run stopper rather than an Ed Reed.

Move down and I'd be okay with it, but if we're taking a Safety that high Id rather go Vaccarro who has shown to be a better cover man. You just don't build teams anymore on the merits of how well does each individual player support/stop the run and I'm just not sure Cyprien and his skillset show me an elite, ballhawking, turnover machine.

#15 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 6,086 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

1st is too rich for my blood..with the competition he played in..like Sherrod Martin at Troy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com