Photo
- - - - -

So whatever happened to Johnathan Hankins?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 CharlottePanther

CharlottePanther

• Stop Making Threads...
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:10 PM

He was everyone's draft darling a couple months ago and a darling of mock experts like Mcshay, but lately we havent heard a peep about him. Has his stock fallen? Did he have a bad pro day/combine? Did he have a injury surface or something? Kind of odd he was almost on all mock drafts of us taking him and now, nothing. He is more of nose tackle, run stuffing DT and we need that more than the undertackle Sheldon Richardson type if we address D line at all.

#2 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,043 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

Nothing really. No bad workouts, he's just not one of the media's golden boys. Doesn't have a sob story like Floyd to make him a better story. He's still my 2nd favorite DT in this class and would be happy if we took him at 14. Perfect for a 4-3 NT, big enough to plug the middle but still quick and agile enough to make plays in space (unlike the Georgia boys). Long arms, strong, quick off the snap, reads plays well, motor is above average (not great, but above average). Would be a perfect fit here.

#3 CharlottePanther

CharlottePanther

• Stop Making Threads...
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

Nothing really. No bad workouts, he's just not one of the media's golden boys. Doesn't have a sob story like Floyd to make him a better story. He's still my 2nd favorite DT in this class and would be happy if we took him at 14. Perfect for a 4-3 NT, big enough to plug the middle but still quick and agile enough to make plays in space (unlike the Georgia boys). Long arms, strong, quick off the snap, reads plays well, motor is above average (not great, but above average). Would be a perfect fit here.

Yea, he would make a perfect fit for a run stuffing 4-3 NT, rather him than Richardson

#4 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • 6,043 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

Here's a decent video to watch of him:

Even in the weaknesses section, in the clips it's not like he's getting bullied and completely abused like Floyd often does. He's still plugging his gap, taking on multiple blockers and not getting pushed back, he's just not putting pressure on the QB every single play.

#5 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • 6,043 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

Here's another one, a lot of snaps shown vs a solid OL. Really shows his great hand usage and awareness.

#6 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • 6,043 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

And another one. The second play in the video, he takes on 2 or 3 blockers and doesn't budge, stuffing the play. The third play, he puts on the pressure that leads to an interception and then has the hustle to throw the block that lets the DB score the TD.

#7 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Champions are made in the offseason.

• HUDDLER
  • 4,029 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

Big 10 football isn't exactly the greatest but if we draft him that means Getty likes him and that's enough for me.

#8 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,239 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

Hankins stock fell because he was never a Top 15 prospect to begin with. The combine pretty much killed his chances to be a first rounder. He was slow, stiff, and didn't impress scouts with his work ethic.

#9 Sod

Sod

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

Yeah, nothing. All this 'movement' with guys shooting up or falling down draft boards is media hype, I doubt team boards change a whole lot

#10 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 6,371 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

I'd love to have him. I'm not sure the draft will work out that we can take him though.

#11 Panthers4lyfe

Panthers4lyfe

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:28 PM

If we could somehow land tavon Austin ot patterson in the 1st and Hankins slip to the second I'd be in love with the draft and gettleman would need a statute built outside the stadium lol

#12 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,239 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:35 PM

Yeah, nothing. All this 'movement' with guys shooting up or falling down draft boards is media hype, I doubt team boards change a whole lot

Yep, and Hankins was on board that train until he underwhelmed at the combine. Big Hank has been carrying a big red flag since high school and he hasn't given scouts any confidence that his work ethic has improved.

#13 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

JASON VERRETT 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 15,518 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:22 PM

Big JON Hankins is still one of my favorite prospect and my no.2/3 best DT.

(1) Star
(2) Floyd/Hankins
(3) Sheldon

He's exactly the player we need also. A true big body NT. He's more than a run stuffer. Hankins is a better interior pass rusher than Star and a better sideline to sideline tackler. Has some quickness to make tackles across the field. Only question is his physical condition.

#14 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

JASON VERRETT 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 15,518 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:24 PM

If we could somehow land tavon Austin ot patterson in the 1st and Hankins slip to the second I'd be in love with the draft and gettleman would need a statute built outside the stadium lol

Amen. And a FS in the 4th

#15 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

JASON VERRETT 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 15,518 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:26 PM

Yep, and Hankins was on board that train until he underwhelmed at the combine. Big Hank has been carrying a big red flag since high school and he hasn't given scouts any confidence that his work ethic has improved.

He didn't overwhelmed at the combine. He had a so so combine like most of the other DTs. In a wonderful world, teams do questions his work ethic and he falls right to our lap at 44.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.