Photo
- - - - -

This year will tell if Rivera is a horrible coach or not.

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 ed bell

ed bell

Ruthless

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

G's magnificent offseason is being dramatically overblown....

We still have holes all over this roster and an oddly built offense around Cam

G is setting the table to burn the mofo down after this year...just like Gantt called. Rivera will be playing from a hole...just like the last 2 seasons. Rivera and Cam have come close to overcoming it the last 2 seasons....but no GM has put Rivera in an easy to win position

Gettleman is setting the table to burn the mofo down? Are you already stuck on your new hang-up? That Gettleman is a dinosaur that refuses to see the supposed new era of offense in the NFL?

#17 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,285 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

Well considering all of our FAs besides dwan are on 1 year deals and the report that we were

The 1 year deals reportedly are a league wide thing. The cap has influenced that. Seems like it is not as not as defining here as it sounds.

#18 Ken

Ken

Triple Threat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,637 posts
  • Locationnyc

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:07 PM

I somewhat agree. My caveat is that I will more look at if he improved as a head coach. His main (glaring) weakness is game management/situational football. Far too many times he's made head scratching moves. He was either far too conservative and then sometime unnecessarily aggressive. Some personnel moves have been questionable as well.

He's a very good defensive coach though and I really value that, as I'm sure Gettleman and JR.

If this team stays healthy for the most part and we don't get to at least .500 and his decision making has not improved, then I'm all for firing him.

#19 ickmule

ickmule

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • LocationNorth Myrtle Beach

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

Rivera ain't going anywhere. You all should stop wasting time and energy playing that garbage.

#20 Gabeking

Gabeking

• HUDDLER
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

The 1 year deals reportedly are a league wide thing. The cap has influenced that. Seems like it is not as not as defining here as it sounds.

I know but its the assistant coaching 1 year offers that really give the hint though IMO

#21 ed bell

ed bell

Ruthless

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

I know but its the assistant coaching 1 year offers that really give the hint though IMO

Well, obviously he's on the short leash with a new GM and only two years left on the contract. Why would you sign assistants to longer deals if they may not be welcome if Rivera craps the bed?

#22 chef17

chef17

Senior Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

That is the biggest bullshit I have read this entire offseason...I'm not gonna argue any further than that, because i know you like to have pages and pages of discussion. Pure bullshit.

While cap space limited what we could do, unless I'm missing something the only sure upgrade we have from last season is Ginn. I don't agree that Gettleman is preparing to burn it down, but I don't see how Rivera is in a much better position than he was last season from a roster standpoint.

#23 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

Don't forget, HC's and 1st rd QB's are usually tied together. If we change regimes we may be looking at more than just a new coach. Food for thought.

#24 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,307 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

That is the biggest bullshit I have read this entire offseason...I'm not gonna argue any further than that, because i know you like to have pages and pages of discussion. Pure bullshit.

What part?

The part where the GM will have a roster that he can easily clean house of after this year? Cam, Luke, Kalil, Johnson, Olsen....everyone else could be parted with....GM inherited Ron on a one year basis. Cam probably wouldn't be safe though. But a 180 degree roster overhaul is something the GM is also leaving open

Or that Rivera has been working from a hole with his stud QB since arriving? He has been running a modern offense with Fox left overs and holes all over his D.....

#25 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,947 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

I think everyone knows that this is his last chance to prove he's a HC in the NFL.
Playoffs or bust. Chico better go 2-2 in his first month or he's a goner.

#26 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,307 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

While cap space limited what we could do, unless I'm missing something the only sure upgrade we have from last season is Ginn. I don't agree that Gettleman is preparing to burn it down, but I don't see how Rivera is in a much better position than he was last season from a roster standpoint.

Ron isn't.

The new GM would be a fool to go all in for Rivera. He didn't hire him and easily could fire him next year....all in on Ron would be a bigger mess to dig out of.

I am not saying he would sabotage Rivera but just be cautious with how he helps him.

Rivera is a good coach....a shame he hasn't been given better defensive talent. Ron can win with D and Cam....he is that good of a defensive coach. But he calls the right stuff and we lose bc of weak D talent

#27 ed bell

ed bell

Ruthless

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

What part?

The part where the GM will have a roster that he can easily clean house of after this year? Cam, Luke, Kalil, Johnson, Olsen....everyone else could be parted with....GM inherited Ron on a one year basis. Cam probably wouldn't be safe though. But a 180 degree roster overhaul is something the GM is also leaving open

Or that Rivera has been working from a hole with his stud QB since arriving? He has been running a modern offense with Fox left overs and holes all over his D.....

Damn, I was going to respond to your post, but when I hit "quote" it became something almost completely different....

#28 Gabeking

Gabeking

• HUDDLER
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:31 PM

Well, obviously he's on the short leash with a new GM and only two years left on the contract. Why would you sign assistants to longer deals if they may not be welcome if Rivera craps the bed?

That's my point

#29 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

_RUN FOZZY RUN_

• HUDDLER
  • 17,314 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

This year?

#30 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,423 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:58 PM

What part?

You are implying things that are grossly ficticious:

1. That our new GM and bona fide "straight shooter" is not going to give Ron the proper weapons, within our budget, to win now. He just got his dream job, is he going to half ass it or not go all in?

2. The one year deals are a league-wide phenomenom. This has everything to do with the flat cap and our personal cap situation. He signed Dwan and Blackburn to 2 year contracts. In Dwan's case could he have not just said "screw it" we'll sign someone else. No he knew we had to sign Dwan to be successful THIS year, so he signed him, a 32 year old, to a 2 year deal. With what you were implying, he would have never done this.

I agree Rivera has been working from a hole with the Hurney mess, but to claim Gettleman is setting himself up so that he can easily overhaul the roster is not interpreting the facts correctly.

It's pretty much just a loser mentality, something that would be completely opposite of what Gettleman is all about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com