• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:02 AM

Stop trying to report "Breaking News". Those services are no longer needed. There is a massive world wide instant breaking news platform, its called Twitter. Let the actual players and teams announce that crap. They no longer need you to distribute that information.

Now, what to do with all that extra time I saved you? How about interesting in depth long form content. We have new players we know nothing about. We have a new OC with big question marks. There are tons of stories out there for the taking if you reporters would start...reporting.

#2 jtm

jtm

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:05 AM

I hear you, but a lot of people want "insider" information. People here kill Person if a story is not broken by him. I actually think he does a decent job.

#3 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:10 AM

People are idiots. These reporters don't make much money, have families, and can't be on twitter 24/7.

I would gladly trade their giving up on the "breaking news" game in return for a higher quality traditional long form content.

#4 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,081 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:11 AM

Yeah, but the team announces stuff days and days after the fact....and who the heck wants to follow every NFL player on twitter to find out transactions?

#5 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,472 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:17 AM

You can basically follow two nfl reporters and find out everything.

The question for me...Why do I need to know within seconds that Chase Blackburn signed?

I hate this age of instant gratification

#6 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:20 AM

You can basically follow two nfl reporters and find out everything.

The question for me...Why do I need to know within seconds that Chase Blackburn signed?

I hate this age of instant gratification

You don't. Its silly.

#7 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:29 AM

I've been thinking this for a while. They are employed by the papers to write yet they spend nearly every moment twitterizing with 20 year old dudes. Even if I don't find out for a week it doesn't change anything about the situation. Maybe write an informed piece about it and get the situation correct. Ignore the whining twitter folk, they don't pay your salary.

#8 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,826 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:37 AM

you can thank ted turner and cnn for instant news, but really it's been like this since the beginning. emphasis has always been to try and beat your opponents (the other news outlets) in breaking the story first. every new news medium has been considered a departure from the old/better ways.

#9 jtm

jtm

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:45 AM

People are idiots. These reporters don't make much money, have families, and can't be on twitter 24/7.

I would gladly trade their giving up on the "breaking news" game in return for a higher quality traditional long form content.

I agree, but very few get this. I bet you every local beat writer would gladly give up the instant reporting to write insightful articles, but too many fans like we see on this very forum, unrealistically expect both.

#10 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • 12,092 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:59 AM

If you want the latest news in the NFL follow Aaron Wilson, Adam Schefter, and Jay Glazer on twitter. If you're like Zod, myself, and most of us and don't care to learn right when a signing happens then don't follow them or spend all day on twitter. There, problem solved

#11 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:00 AM

you can thank ted turner and cnn for instant news, but really it's been like this since the beginning. emphasis has always been to try and beat your opponents (the other news outlets) in breaking the story first. every new news medium has been considered a departure from the old/better ways.

Do you feel we we better off?

I enjoyed sports more 15 years ago. Anything important I could see on the evening news sports report or in the paper or papers website the next day. Jump on an internet forum to discuss those things.

There was a leisurely quality to following a team.

Now its fugging stressful. Check your twitter! Turn on ESPN! Something could happen any minute!

It has made being a fan much less enjoyable.

#12 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,535 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:06 AM

Do you feel we we better off?

I enjoyed sports more 15 years ago. Anything important I could see on the evening news sports report or in the paper or papers website the next day. Jump on an internet forum to discuss those things.

There was a leisurely quality to following a team.

Now its fugging stressful. Check your twitter! Turn on ESPN! Something could happen any minute!

It has made being a fan much less enjoyable.

You can still follow it the exact same way as you always did. You choosing to avidly follow the Twitterverse and other real time news sources only serves to perpetuate the system that you are deriding. You choose to follow in real time, no one is forcing you

#13 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,640 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:06 AM

Yeah, but on twitter I have to parse the actual news from what the beat writers think about the weather, the pope, their kids' TV watching habits and their political opinions.

#14 Match.com

Match.com

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:15 AM

Going to sleep

#15 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 17,389 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:29 AM

I sometimes think that these local reporters like Person come in here (the huddle) for their info. Using us as their unnamed sources.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.