91 replies to this topic

#16 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

you left out that he had 75 tackles. you may not like him but that's damn impressive.

#17 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

double post

#18 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 19,104 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

Don't want Richardson. Sorry, but he screams bust. He looks like he's on roller skates when you run at him.

Like my post above, he is a Terrell McLain clone.

#19 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

Like my post above, he is a Terrell McLain clone.

Yep. Drafting a bust in the 3rd stings a little, but drafting a bust at #14 sucks complete ass.

#20 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

Partially correct, he is a great athlete, but failed to run a sub 5 40 and his split was good. Good athlete yes, elite athlete, hell no. All of his ability is a wonderful thing but his production 4 sacks, 10.5 TFL does not warrant the 14th pick for a guy who gets run over in the run game

He also had 75 tackles leading his team which is unheard of for a DT. Plus got to the backfield constantly against the best Olines in the the country. If they kept QB pressures as a stat in college like they do in the pro's he would lead all DT in that.

#21 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,937 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

if we're going to go DT in the first couple rounds, i'd rather it be a run stuffer than a pass rusher. i just don't see richardson as being that run stuffing space hog.

tbh, i'd rather have hankins....i mean maybe not at 14, but i don't want richardson there, either.

#22 Fan01

Fan01

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

Partially correct, he is a great athlete, but failed to run a sub 5 40 and his split was good. Good athlete yes, elite athlete, hell no. All of his ability is a wonderful thing but his production 4 sacks, 10.5 TFL does not warrant the 14th pick for a guy who gets run over in the run game

That was at the combine. He ran again at his pro day and did a 4.81 and 4.86. Good? Elite? Depends on your definition but the guy can penatrate and is super quick for a DT.

He is very good at using his hands and seems to slip by on his initional move or use hands to redirect his opponet and then zip by them. Has an extremely, extremely high motor and you'll see him making tackles 30 yards downfield with DB and LB. Seems like whomever gets the tackle he's right there. He always played on a team where he was pretty much the only talent and played some great SEC teams.

. i just don't see richardson as being that run stuffing space hog.

That's because he's not. He's no NT and he's not great against the run. He's a really quick 3-tech DT who can put some pressure on the QB. With our trio of defensive ends a guy like this can be elite. Do you really think that Dwan Edwards is really the second best DT in the league as his stats indicated last year? No, Dwan has some talent but the fact that you almost need to double team both ends gives the DT a lot of one on one battles.

He is also easily fast enought and big enough to play outside LB in a 3-4. I know Ron likes to mix that in a lot and he'd fit in well there. He a great tackler in space.

The guy is a legit top 20 pick and despite having Dwan on a 2-year deal he'd be a great asset to the Panthers.

I know what our defense looked like before we got Dwan. It was a different animal. We need that DTpressure for our DE. Teams can handle them if we don't have crap coming up the middle but we get some pressure there, look out. In my eyes this is the single biggest reason for how much our D has improved from last year to this year.

#23 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

You were really close to making a point until you suggested Richardson could play OLB in a 3-4.

LOL

#24 Fan01

Fan01

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

You were really close to making a point until you suggested Richardson could play OLB in a 3-4.

LOL

Yeah, you're right there. I meant to say you can stand the guy up and drop him in coverage while only rushing three thus making in like a linebacker in a 3-4 coverage. I would not line him up at linebacker.

#25 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

Hell, he probably should just move to LB

#26 Fan01

Fan01

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

Richardson is pretty similar to Fletcher Cox who was brought along slowly in Philly but became the starter during the season and was playing lights out. I'd love to see the same thing here. Rotate him with Dwan. Win-Win.

#27 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,399 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:13 PM

I'm torn, while I'd like to get another 3 tech to play with Dwan, I'd also like to go ahead and fill the NT need since it's an immediate concern.

I haven't watched a lot of Richardson, but most of what I've heard from the talking heads is very good. If I'm not mistaken, Warren Sapp was listed as an explosive 3 tech who needed a lot of work against the run.

#28 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,254 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

Every mock last year had Carolina taking Fletcher Cox or Quinton Coples. This year every one says Richardson. When have these things ever been right?

#29 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,937 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

Every mock last year had Carolina taking Fletcher Cox or Quinton Coples. This year every one says Richardson. When have these things ever been right?

for years people had us taking a TE early. when we picked cam, most had us taking a DT or something.

they are very rarely right. usually the more consensus there is about who we are going to pick, the more wrong they are.

here's the thing about richardson...we haven't met with him, at least not yet. from what i can tell we've only met with a couple DTs. mostly it's been WRs. if we haven't met with the guy before the draft, you can pretty much bank on him not being the pick.

#30 Fan01

Fan01

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

for years people had us taking a TE early. when we picked cam, most had us taking a DT or something.

they are very rarely right. usually the more consensus there is about who we are going to pick, the more wrong they are.

here's the thing about richardson...we haven't met with him, at least not yet. from what i can tell we've only met with a couple DTs. mostly it's been WRs. if we haven't met with the guy before the draft, you can pretty much bank on him not being the pick.

Maybe but who knows how Gettleman runs a draft. Maybe he's all smokescreeens. Wouldn't be the first time teams have meet with a bunch of guys they have no intention of picking just to make sure a guy they do want drops.

This draft has a number of good quality players around both our 1st and 2nd round pick. They also happen to be players that are a need for us. DT, CB, WR.

I wonder what Gettleman's draft philosophy will be. Does he reach for a player of need? How likely is he to trade up or down in a draft? Etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.