#76 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,641 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:16 AM

He won't be in that position all the time we will run a rotation. And the fact that he can do the 3tech some 5tech and can rush standing up and drop back. Makes him a nice piece to add to our defense.

With Ron's defensive mind and Richardson versatility it's a nice thing to think about. But I'm not married to him being the pick. I'm just having a open mind to the idea.

putting him at the 1 tech or NT would not be ideal in any situation.i think that is why we brought in Kawaan Short who actually fits the role and has played some 3 tech, 5 tech, and some 1 tech while at purdue. has shown the ablitity to anchor, penetrate, 2 gap, stuff the run, and rush the passer.

#77 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:33 AM

We're taking Patterson, get use to it.

You might need to get ready for some disappointment on draft night.

#78 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

putting him at the 1 tech or NT would not be ideal in any situation.i think that is why we brought in Kawaan Short who actually fits the role and has played some 3 tech, 5 tech, and some 1 tech while at purdue. has shown the ablitity to anchor, penetrate, 2 gap, stuff the run, and rush the passer.

I like Short and Brandon Williams to again I'm not married to any prospect or position in the 1st round. If we trade back and get more picks I'll be happy. As long as we get a DT in this deep draft I'll be happy. I'm not stuck on the idea we need to draft this position or that position in the 1st round like some are.

#79 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:46 AM

Sometimes great college DTs do not equate to great NFL tackles nfl hence the high bust rate.The great pro DTs have that combination of strength and speed. Most of the good college DTs have some speed but are lacking the strength to come out and start .Suh was one of the few that had both.If you have to draft a project, that most DTs are I would rather wait until later rounds.

That notion is a little misleading now. In the last 5 years 19 DT's were taking in the 1st round. 4 out of the 19 have been bust. But the other 15 have either been solid or really good. So the DT bust rate isn't as bad anymore.

#80 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,302 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

They run a variation of the Jim Johnson defense when healthy.

he was let go in chicago because he didn't run a tampa 2 like lovie was wanting. lovie came from the tampa 2 dungy tree. rivera came from the jim johnson tree. both 4-3s but very different mindsets. rivera wasn't lovie's choice, he was strongly encouraged by his bosses to hire him despite differing philosophies. the first chance he had to cut him loose and bring in his own guy who coached the tampa2, he did.

#81 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 6,175 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

manti teo in the first and denard robinson in the second

Hurney?

#82 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,621 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

he was let go in chicago because he didn't run a tampa 2 like lovie was wanting. lovie came from the tampa 2 dungy tree. rivera came from the jim johnson tree. both 4-3s but very different mindsets. rivera wasn't lovie's choice, he was strongly encouraged by his bosses to hire him despite differing philosophies. the first chance he had to cut him loose and bring in his own guy who coached the tampa2, he did.

Yep, he clashed with the HC on how the defense should be ran. He didn't want to run a Tampa 2, wanted to be more aggressive in approach. The defense in Carolina is a mix match of Buddy Ryan, Jim Johnson based out of a 4-3 under formation a large portion of the time.

This is the reason Carolina needs a NT badly, because of the 4-3 under scheme being so heavily used last year. With the way it's used by the Panthers, it basically boils down to a 3-4 defense with an extra DE playing the OLB rush spot. ( They also ran it with Applewhite standing up as well to blend it in and make it look more like a traditional old school 3-4 defensive front.)

#83 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

The interception by Beason to end the 1st game against the Saints was a variation of the Tampa 2.
The int by Kuechly in the Raiders game was a Tampa 2 formation.

Every team even 3-4 team runs some variation or philosophy of the Tampa 2.

It is why teams are going for the more fast side line to side line MLB over the slow big body, run stuffing thumper MlB.

Now I don't know what happen in Chicago between lovie and Ron. But Ron runs a variation of the Tampa 2 here as well as some 3-4 and some of JJ biltzing concepts.

Perfect example. Kuchely is more like Urlacher (Tampa 2 MlB) then J Trotter (JJ type MLB).

Not to mention we rush more with the front 4 and drop the LB back like the Tampa 2. Then we blitz with the LB's and Secondary like JJ's defense.

So we run a variation of all 3 defeneses.

#84 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,621 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

The interception by Beason to end the 1st game against the Saints was a variation of the Tampa 2.
The int by Kuechly in the Raiders game was a Tampa 2 formation.

Every team even 3-4 team runs some variation or philosophy of the Tampa 2.

It is why teams are going for the more fast side line to side line MLB over the slow big body, run stuffing thumper MlB.

Now I don't know what happen in Chicago between lovie and Ron. But Ron runs a variation of the Tampa 2 here as well as some 3-4 and some of JJ biltzing concepts.

Perfect example. Kuchely is more like Urlacher (Tampa 2 MlB) then J Trotter (JJ type MLB).

Not to mention we rush more with the front 4 and drop the LB back like the Tampa 2. Then we blitz with the LB's and Secondary like JJ's defense.

So we run a variation of all 3 defeneses.

Beason interception was cover 3, not Tampa 2, they had three safeties on the field during the play.

Kuechly was actually on a low zone to protect against the screen, his man ran out of his zone and he made a great play. It wasn't however Tampa 2.

#85 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

Beason interception was cover 3, not Tampa 2, they had three safeties on the field during the play.

Kuechly was actually on a low zone to protect against the screen, his man ran out of his zone and he made a great play. It wasn't however Tampa 2.

Dude stop lying to yourself Beason drop back to cover the seem route of the TE. With 2 deep safeties over the top. We were in a cover 2.

Same on the Kuchely play where he was covering the flat.

I know you need to be right but you're not.

Ron runs a variation of the Tampa 2, the 3-4 with some of JJ blitz packages sprinkle in.

#86 IamSoClutch

IamSoClutch

CaptainCam

• HUDDLER
  • 2,063 posts
  • LocationKinston, NC

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

a rotation of sheldon richarson and kwame geathers with hardy, dwan and cj would be crazy.

kwame at nt against the run
richardson at nt against the pass

#87 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,191 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

lol kkl do you even know what a cover 2 is?

#88 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,621 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:42 PM

Dude stop lying to yourself Beason drop back to cover the seem route of the TE. With 2 deep safeties over the top. We were in a cover 2.

Same on the Kuchely play where he was covering the flat.

I know you need to be right but you're not.

Ron runs a variation of the Tampa 2, the 3-4 with some of JJ blitz packages sprinkle in.

Watch the Beason play again, your wrong it's a cover 3. There's 3 deep safeties on the play.

http://www.nfl.com/v...hers-highlights

check the video out at 3:12, there's 3 deep safety's there. That's a cover 3 coming out of a 3-2-6 formation.

Difference between a cover 2 and Tampa 2 is that the MLB hook coverage is deeper (roughly 11 yards deep). While the OLB's handle anything to the outside and stay close to the LOS to protect against dump off's and screen's. The corners play zone and stay out in the flat to under zone areas, only going about 7-10 yards deep with the WR. The two deep safeties are intended to cover the whole field side line to side line and take any routes on the outside past 7 yards.

Same concept with a Cover 2 (shown below) Except that the MLB doesn't go back as deep with his hook zone (only about 5-7 yards deep) everything else is pretty much the same, except the OLB's take on more responsibility and are deeper down the field while the corners stay in the flat to protect against dump off's and screens.

The similarities between the two is that they are types of coverage's not defenses.

Posted Image

http://www.bucsnatio...fense-explained

The Kuechly play was Cover 2, not Tampa 2. You can tell because Keek's hook zone drop isn't that deep down the field. His guy leaves his zone and he recognizes where the QB is going and makes a great play on a bad pass.

#89 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

lol kkl do you even know what a cover 2 is?

I know what a cover 2 and Tampa 2 is.

The difference is based on the depth of the drop of the MLB.

But thank for the drop in post.

#90 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

Watch the Beason play again, your wrong it's a cover 3. There's 3 deep safeties on the play.

http://www.nfl.com/v...hers-highlights

check the video out at 3:12, there's 3 deep safety's there. That's a cover 3 coming out of a 3-2-6 formation.

Difference between a cover 2 and Tampa 2 is that the MLB hook coverage is deeper (roughly 11 yards deep). While the OLB's handle anything to the outside and stay close to the LOS to protect against dump off's and screen's. The corners play zone and stay out in the flat to under zone areas, only going about 7-10 yards deep with the WR. The two deep safeties are intended to cover the whole field side line to side line and take any routes on the outside past 7 yards.

Same concept with a Cover 2 (shown below) Except that the MLB doesn't go back as deep with his hook zone (only about 5-7 yards deep) everything else is pretty much the same, except the OLB's take on more responsibility and are deeper down the field while the corners stay in the flat to protect against dump off's and screens.

The similarities between the two is that they are types of coverage's not defenses.

Posted Image

http://www.bucsnatio...fense-explained

The Kuechly play was Cover 2, not Tampa 2. You can tell because Keek's hook zone drop isn't that deep down the field. His guy leaves his zone and he recognizes where the QB is going and makes a great play on a bad pass.

I'm on the phone so I can't post the video. But please watch the Urlacher int of Peyton in the Superbowl and Compare it with the Beason play and you can see it's the same drop and assignment by the MLB. And both were Tampa 2 plays.

But even with that do you really believe we run more of JJ's defense then the Tampa 2?

Better then that do you seriously believe we weren't running a Tampa 2 this year?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com