Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

panthers04100

This season will be smittys last 1000 yard season

I'm hoping Smitty beats the odds and has 1000+ yards seasons past 35 but counting on it is not a good strategy.

put him in the slot for the rest of his career and he'll post Gonzalez type numbers.

this is my reasoning for not wanting tavon in the first

said it before and Ill say it again we would be silly not to go WR with the first for many reasons, smiths age being the top reason

yeah, lets bank everything on him beating the odds again.

he's done enough beating the odds by not getting hurt and missing significant time the past couple years. he is on borrowed time.

i don't want to go into the season with lafell being our best WR and the rest a bunch of question marks who have been on the team for a year or two and haven't done poo.

Yep...he is definitely playing on borrowed time. With his age and style...the fact he has put in 2 back to back healthy seasons means odds aren't good for him.

best thing we can do is get some kind of legit receiving threat for defenses to worry about and draw attention away from smith. that guy isn't on the roster.

This is key, I don't think it's likely that Smitty can keep up this level of production facing constant double teams as he ages. He needs someone to take the pressure off him. And while I actually think LaFell does exactly what is asked of him, he'll never be such a significant receiving threat that teams have to double him. We definitely need someone defenses need to account for as a receiving threat.

put him in the slot for the rest of his career and he'll post Gonzalez type numbers.

Smitty isn't Gonzo...

Cam isn't Brady....he isn't going to pick teams apart throwing quick hitters. Smitty needs to be a #2 working those routes. Ideally Cam IMO would work 2 TE sets with Smith as a #2.....but we never started sailing down that road

Smitty will play in 2013 and likely 2014. His base salaries are guaranteed both years so we will have to pay them anyway. He probably will retire after that.

This is what he is owed going forward:

http://www.spotrac.c...rs/steve-smith/

So much of this discussion is likely moot anyway...............

smitty has consistently put up 1000 yard seasons being the only legitimate wide receiver on the team coupled with quarterback issues and a run-first offense.

he has the quarterback now, give the team a complimentary receiver and let 89 rotate in and out of the slot when teams can't double cover him because of other threats. he will transcend his age.

Smitty will play in 2013 and likely 2014. His base salaries are guaranteed both years so we will have to pay them anyway. He probably will retire after that.

This is what he is owed going forward:

http://www.spotrac.c...rs/steve-smith/

So much of this discussion is likely moot anyway...............

Unless Ron gets axed....I think that would cause his odds of retirement to skyrocket.

said it before and Ill say it again we would be silly not to go WR with the first for many reasons, smiths age being the top reason

This.

Unless Ron gets axed....I think that would cause his odds of retirement to skyrocket.

We are going to make the playoffs and he will get votes for coach of the year. Get with the program ................

Which is why some on the huddle shouldn't be GM

I had high hopes for Joe Adams but you cant expect anything from him going forward anything you get from him is supposed to be a bonus which is why we have to go WR cause it will most likely be BPA

Nobody on the huddle should be a GM.

Guest BlueBoyRamses_E1b1a

That didn't get us anywhere last year. All those damn personal shtats(yes, shtats!). Cam deserves a true #1 WR, not a novelty act of a receiver. "oh, look at me, I am a short little dude playing a big boys' game". Don't have the patience for that year in and year out. Sure he overcame and did well for his size. But he should have been playing the slot a long time ago like Welker. I have nothing against Smith but losing lost its fun when you have a dynamic QB like Cam. Plus, catches are more valuable than yards when it comes to WRs(in my opinion)

Sorry, guys. Just read we only have 900k in cap space. second lowest to dallas who only have 51k. Even the redskins(playoff team) with a 28mil penalty still have more cap space than the panthers. I can't be excited for a player's personal gain right now. If we win then I'll be excited for Smith.