Don't worry, we have Joe Adams.

#17 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,731 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

P55, the only guy that's got a 1000 yard season that fits Smith's play style and size is Drew Hill, the rest are almost all over 6-0 tall and completely different types of receivers.

I'm not saying that he can't do it, but history says it's not very likely that he gets 1000 yards after 34. I think if the team moves him to the slot like he wants, it's more likely to happen. Plus the team's already said they plan on playing him less this and maximizing his reps.

#18 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,461 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

Don't worry, we have Joe Adams.

Is there an echo?

#19 PhillyB

PhillyB

hari kari for amari

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,954 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

put him in the slot for the rest of his career and he'll post Gonzalez type numbers.

#20 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,160 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

best thing we can do is get some kind of legit receiving threat for defenses to worry about and draw attention away from smith. that guy isn't on the roster.

#21 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

Another thread about having to " draft a WR in the 1st round" in a draft without any sure fire elite WR.

How many angles are we going to go with this topic?

#22 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,924 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:36 PM

I agree we need a WR. It's just that this years class is not that great. Rather ride it out one more year and draft a stud next year in the fitst.

#23 Gucci Mane

Gucci Mane

Trap God

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts
  • LocationKitchen

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:36 PM

Armanti was drafted to be the next megatron remember?

#24 h0llywood

h0llywood

I HATE LUKE KUECHLY!

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,696 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:37 PM

2 Years left at 1k seasons.

However, as previously mentioned above, put him in the slot, and he can minimally, contribute another 2,000-2,500 yards over 3 seasons. He has too much fire in him to walk away from the game while he can still make a roster even at a reduced role.

#25 skarbar001

skarbar001

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

Here's some data to back this up. It's happened 25 times since 1970 and those 25 seasons are by 9 players.

http://blogs.nfl.com...ter-turning-34/

Posted Image

That list has to be wrong, Jimmy Smith put up (2) 1k yard seasons after turning 34.

#26 panfan32

panfan32

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationFayetteville, North Carolina

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

One thing that you all should remember is that most Wr's at this age have been replaced or their replacement is already on the roster. The team (coaches) in most case make the change and not the player. Is it possible some of these Wr's had more in them than it shows? Or was their receiving reduction due to a reduced role for a younger model. Marvin Harrison, Issac Bruce kept going and playing at a high level all the way up to their retirement.

You also have to look at QB and offensive play of the team at the time they hit 34. Did they have a Manning under center or a Vince Young? Stat sheets never tell the whole story.

#27 ThunderKatt

ThunderKatt

Hello to All my Haters

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationIn yo moma

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

Before Cam, who was our last first round pick? It's been so long I can't remember.

I suspect we'll look to get a WR in the 1st or 2nd round, but I don't want to see us reach on a guy. As much crap as Hurney gets and has earned, at least he made his 1st round picks count, and I don't want us throwing that out the window because Smitty is 34. If that WR is BPA sure (for our team), otherwise we're just reaching due to a need. Everything I've heard says this is a deep WR class but with no real elite prospects e.g. AJ Green, Julio Jones, etc.

#28 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,731 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

Before Cam, who was our last first round pick? It's been so long I can't remember.

Otah and Stewart in 2008.

#29 ThunderKatt

ThunderKatt

Hello to All my Haters

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationIn yo moma

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

That's what I was thinking as well and that isn't exceptable because we went years without having a first round pick. When you make those types of decisions then you get what we are now. Tbis isn't directed to carpanfan96, I am just speaking that Hurney did good with the first rounds but when you don't have any for 3 years that is a serious set back especially when you aren't drafting 1st round talents in later rounds or bringing in really good talent in free agency.

Otah and Stewart in 2008.

#30 Jai.

Jai.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:42 PM

One thing I learned about Smitty, never say never, about ANYTHING dealing with him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com