Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nctarheel0619

What happened to the Warmack bandwagons?

70 posts in this topic

As much as love a "stuff down youre throat run game", Ive coverted over to those who think skill positions should be taken in early rounds. Ya can get a servicable guard elswhere, and doesnt require a first round pick.

Ive came to the realization that DoubleTrouble of 2008 will most likely never return.. ;(

The Giants (I realize that we are not the giants and this is a different draft, but my point is that Gettlemen might adhere to the same philosphies about drafting Guards) drafted Chris Snee in the second-about like Silatolu last year. Other than that, they really have not drafted OL early.

Most of the time, the teams drafting at the top of the draft have multiple needs, usually at positions that are considered "hard to find": QB, pass-rushing DE/OLB, LT, etc. Guards are rather easy to find, so they are drafted later. Teams with few needs draft late in the first round, and they grab elite Guards.

Rayzor's point about the second contract is a good one. To add to that, let's talk cap and savings. rookies make about the same $$, depending on where they were picked and not what position they play. Since we have a QB on a rookie deal, that is saving us about $15 million per year. If we had a G on a rookie contract because we took him high, he would be making about what Guards are making now, probably saving us about $1-4 million.

My feeling is this: Your first rounders should be at key positions that are hard to find. Even if G is our biggest need, it does not have to be our first round pick.

There both better then DeCastro from last year. Seriously, they are two of the best Guard prospects to enter the NFL draft in the last 15 years.

Decastro graded significantly higher than Cooper is graded now. There are multiple guards who grade within 2 points of Cooper this year while Castro was around 6 ahead of Cooper. Warmack grades at a 95.something....higher than either.

The Giants (I realize that we are not the giants and this is a different draft, but my point is that Gettlemen might adhere to the same philosphies about drafting Guards) drafted Chris Snee in the second-about like Silatolu last year. Other than that, they really have not drafted OL early.

Most of the time, the teams drafting at the top of the draft have multiple needs, usually at positions that are considered "hard to find": QB, pass-rushing DE/OLB, LT, etc. Guards are rather easy to find, so they are drafted later. Teams with few needs draft late in the first round, and they grab elite Guards.

Rayzor's point about the second contract is a good one. To add to that, let's talk cap and savings. rookies make about the same $$, depending on where they were picked and not what position they play. Since we have a QB on a rookie deal, that is saving us about $15 million per year. If we had a G on a rookie contract because we took him high, he would be making about what Guards are making now, probably saving us about $1-4 million.

My feeling is this: Your first rounders should be at key positions that are hard to find. Even if G is our biggest need, it does not have to be our first round pick.

True, but reaching for a position in order to get the best value for a starter only works if that player is good enough to start and be considered a deal. If that makes sense..

He fell because of Warford could be available in the 2nd and is not that far off from him.

There are just as many "serviceable" WRs to be had in later rounds, too. "Serviceable" = "mediocre".

I don't think some of you have a friggin' clue how football is played.

If he is still there at 14 I PROMISE we will draft him. I will be willing to bet anybody on here $5,000 that we do. Not even kidding

lol

Decastro graded significantly higher than Cooper is graded now. There are multiple guards who grade within 2 points of Cooper this year while Castro was around 6 ahead of Cooper. Warmack grades at a 95.something....higher than either.

Warmack and Cooper are graded around the same by a ton of scouts. NFL network had 2 of the three on the segment on them pick Cooper. All had the rated the same or too close to call grading wise.

fwiw...

Citing "whispers around the league," ESPN's Adam Schefter hinted on his blog that Alabama OG Chance Warmack could be in for a draft-day mini-slide.

Schefter believes it "wouldn't be completely shocking" if Warmack were available at the Cowboys' No. 18 overall selection. Warmack is a lock first-rounder, but keep in mind many pegged David DeCastro as a top 10-15 pick last April and he lasted to the Steelers' pick at 24. Guard is not a coveted NFL position. Apr 5 - 2:55 PM

Source: ESPN Insider

I still want his fat ass as our RG

I still want his fat ass as our RG

only if he falls to our second pick.