Photo
- - - - -

What happened to the Warmack bandwagons?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
69 replies to this topic

#61 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

So one of the best guard prospects in years and played for a national championship team isnt worth 14th overall pick or a first round pick but a 5'8 slot receiver is???.....................Great huddle logic.

it is...because one of those guys is a guard. you don't miss out on much by passing one up in the first. that's why most teams are going to be passing them by. teams late in the draft who might pick one up are usually ones who don't have many needs and can afford to burn a pick on a guard.

#62 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:24 PM

it is...because one of those guys is a guard. you don't miss out on much by passing one up in the first. that's why most teams are going to be passing them by. teams late in the draft who might pick one up are usually ones who don't have many needs and can afford to burn a pick on a guard.

Dude.......tell that to the niners, they used 2 top 20 picks on Offensive linemen and its paying off pretty well for them. Damn well. You can never have enough talent on a offensive line to the point it doesnt matter how talented your QB is. You can still win. Lets not even get into how good we would be if we had that talent.

#63 rayzor

rayzor

Moderators

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

dude.....tell that to all the successful teams who have good olines who don't draft them very often at all in the first.

dude....

#64 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

Dey Hate Us Because They Aint Us!

HUDDLER

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:16 PM

So one of the best guard prospects in years and played for a national championship team isnt worth 14th overall pick or a first round pick but a 5'8 slot receiver is???.....................Great huddle logic.

One gives defensive coordinators nighmares the other is a blocker.

#65 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

SUPPORTER

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

Sebastian Janikowski says hey.

How long ago was that? Who drafted him?

Yeah...

#66 SIGCHI222

SIGCHI222

the illustrious potentate

HUDDLER

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:58 PM

Allen...mark it.

#67 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

HUDDLER

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:59 AM

dude.....tell that to all the successful teams who have good olines who don't draft them very often at all in the first.

dude....

And i guarantee you those teams arent going deep into the playoffs consistently every year and able to switch Qbs like its nothing as well...........DUDE.

#68 rayzor

rayzor

Moderators

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

And i guarantee you those teams arent going deep into the playoffs consistently every year and able to switch Qbs like its nothing as well...........DUDE.

looking back at the OL taken in the first round and who took them the last 10 years...neither the giants nor the colts took one.

the saints, green bay, pats, houston, and falcons have only taken 1 in the first round in 10 years and the one the saints drafted isn't on the team anymore.

the ravens, seahawks, denver, and bears have only drafted 2 in the first round in 10 years.

the steelers and 49ers took 4 and only 3 are with the 49ers still and 2 with the steelers.

comparing OL taken in first vs. second.... there's been 100 OL taken in the first two rounds since 2002. 48 in the first and 52 in the second. 34 of 48 are still active who were taken in the first compared to 33 of 52 in the second. there just isn't that much difference. looking at the 3rd round there have been 53 taken in that time frame and 34 of those are still active so even then it's not that big of a deal and you can find pro-bowlers, all-pro, and even just starters all through those rounds.

point is, teams do just fine without taking OL in the first round. taking more isn't a sign of greatness and it isn't the path to being a perennial contender. it's a path that some teams might use, but not many at all have. it's just not the crucial piece people make it out to be. you can find good value in the 2nd and later and teams usually do.

#69 jarhead

jarhead

HUDDLER

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

Yea I subscribe to the theory that most teams picking between 1 and 15 have allot more needs than a OG.I look as it as a pick for a team that is only missing a guard to make a run.I say he slips.

#70 rayzor

rayzor

Moderators

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:19 PM

Yea I subscribe to the theory that most teams picking between 1 and 15 have allot more needs than a OG.I look as it as a pick for a team that is only missing a guard to make a run.I say he slips.

agreed. typically the only teams taking an OG in the first really don't have that much in the way of holes to fill.