• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,104 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:08 AM

I think the 7 million in cap savings was total, given a voided contract maybe, not this season. The 900k seems mathematically close...I hope I am wrong.

Gross was set to make $8.7 million in 2013, but the franchise leader in starts agreed to drop his base salary to $1 million while earning a $4.5 million signing bonus on a contract extension through 2017.

The $6.8 million more in cap space gives the Panthers more than $7 million to spend on free agents and draft picks.

Read more here: http://www.charlotte...l#storylink=cpy

I don't know why they do not come out and explain the parts that really matter. In the grand scheme of things, I am only concerned about the cap. Here, he says $6.8 million, and I assume Chase Blackburn got $1 million, so we are over $5million over, with the picks left to sign>>>???

#17 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 41,442 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

A little less than five and a half million under. More to be cleared after June 1st.

Not bad.

Funny to think we were plus 14 million or so over not that long ago.

#18 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• HUDDLER
  • 9,591 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

Should have roughly $7.2M in cap space currently after you factor in Gross and Blackburn.

#19 jdpanther5

jdpanther5

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • LocationBurlington

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:21 AM

Gross took a paycut of $3.2 million, but the way it's structured actually saves us $6.8 million in cap space this year. I've seen that 900k number thrown around, but that's pre-Gross restructure. Basically we have $7.7 million minus whatever we paid Blackburn.

Have the Mitchell, Ginn, and Edwards salaries been announced? Based on this it looks like their total cap hit this year is $2.25 million.

#20 jdpanther5

jdpanther5

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • LocationBurlington

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

I don't know why they do not come out and explain the parts that really matter. In the grand scheme of things, I am only concerned about the cap. Here, he says $6.8 million, and I assume Chase Blackburn got $1 million, so we are over $5million over, with the picks left to sign>>>???

Basically we had 900k available before Gross' restructure, and he had a cap hit of $11.7 million ($8.7 base + $3 in bonuses). Basically he agreed to cut his base down to $1 million - an immediate savings of $7.7 million. In exchange, we gave him another $4.5 million as a signing bonus. The cap hit from the bonus is spread across the five years of the deal (even if they "auto-void") so $4.5/5 years creates a cap hit of $900k from the signing bonus.

So $7.7m savings in base salary minus $900k signing bonus hit = savings of $6.8 million. Hope that helps.

#21 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,104 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

Basically we had 900k available before Gross' restructure, and he had a cap hit of $11.7 million ($8.7 base + $3 in bonuses). Basically he agreed to cut his base down to $1 million - an immediate savings of $7.7 million. In exchange, we gave him another $4.5 million as a signing bonus. The cap hit from the bonus is spread across the five years of the deal (even if they "auto-void") so $4.5/5 years creates a cap hit of $900k from the signing bonus.

So $7.7m savings in base salary minus $900k signing bonus hit = savings of $6.8 million. Hope that helps.

Thank you. I am not sure I actually considered the fact that we extended Gross' contract for 3 years. That was not reported, initially. However, I think Gross can play until he is 35 or 36, maybe as a RT and a backup for most of it, but this was not a bad deal.

#22 Keep Pounding

Keep Pounding

Smith & Wesson 460

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • LocationIn your backyard!!!!

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

I would be happy if we could bring in one more DT... Alan Branch come on down........

#23 MrPickles

MrPickles

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

How the fug does Philly always have so much cap space!?

#24 DoubleTrouble34

DoubleTrouble34

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:36 PM

Sucks to see pretty much every team with more cap space than us

#25 Stroupe-a-loop

Stroupe-a-loop

SeƱor Member

• HUDDLER
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

A little less than five and a half million under. More to be cleared after June 1st.

Not bad.

Funny to think we were plus 14 million or so over not that long ago.

Yeah, I think it just goes to show that the NFL cap is not that big a deal, but people need something to talk about.

#26 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 41,442 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

Yeah, I think it just goes to show that the NFL cap is not that big a deal, but people need something to talk about.

Depends on who's managing it.

#27 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,299 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

i looked at sportrac and overthecap and they both had us with over $9mil in cap space. ($9,354,598 at overthecap and sportrac had us with $10,030,104

they didn't have numbers for dwan, chase, and mitchell yet, and sportrac didn't have the numbers for ginn either...but it's hard imagining that the collective of those contracts would be over $4mil. we know that ginn got $800k and mitchell got $725k so that's $1.525mil right there. i don't think that dwan and chase will have very big contracts either. top end i might see $1.25mil-1.5mil for each and i'm not expecting that for either.

i think we're in a lot better shape than people realize. better shape than most teams.

#28 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,299 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

Sucks to see pretty much every team with more cap space than us

good thing they don't.

#29 SIGCHI222

SIGCHI222

the illustrious potentate

• HUDDLER
  • 4,609 posts
  • LocationShelby

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:51 PM

Someone should market and sell WWMHD bracelets.

I'd buy one.

#30 Louie

Louie

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:36 AM

Someone should market and sell WWMHD bracelets.

I know what he would do.....Fug up the cap!

I'd buy one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com