Photo
- - - - -

G-man setting Chico up is preposterous. Please, Stop!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,056 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

More than a few people are still proclaiming that Gettleman is basically putting Rivera in a position to fail (in so many words). Why would he do that? Basically, you're calling the man a liar. G-man doesn't strike me as a bullshitter in any shape, form or fashion. He wants Rivera to succeed, and obviously has made moves to strengthen the team overall---hopefully on the field and on the spreadsheets, and, arguably, there hasn't even been any appreciable loss in terms of bottom line results and quality of play on the field. G-man has given Rivera more pieces to succeed. There is more depth in the defensive backfield and at WR, plus the return game just got a shot in the arm, and we added a starting level, Super Bowl champion, at LB. I don't know how that equates to setting Rivera up. Gettleman is going to do exactly what most Panthers fans should probably be doing, and that's having an open mind, being objective, and letting the season play itself out before drawing conclusions.

Furthermore, for the immediate future, Rivera is J-Rich's guy. Why would J-Rich bring back Chico, and basically force Rivera on Gettleman for the immediate future, only to allow Gettleman to leave Ron's ass hanging out there in the wind? That's not productive. It would literally be a waste of time for all parties involved from the FO to coaches, players, and even fans. Is it an endorsement? No.
But it is obviously a gamble, not only with time, but with the Charlotte and the surrounding area's good will, and Panthers fans' support. Like I said, it's not an endorsement, but short term investment. You think Richardson would let G-man just come in and fug everything up because G-man wants to (in order to get his own guy)? It makes no sense whatsoever----professionally, or personally. There is no Machiavellian plot or acceptable lame duck status on any level to G-man's approach as it pertains to Rivera's status this coming season. To suggest anything to the contrary is just being analytically lazy, or more concerned with being dramatic and/or sarcastic than realistic.

G-Man has made moves to improve the team for the immediate future, which is exactly what's necessary to give Rivera more than a puncher's chance (G-man's term) to succeed. Let's hope that Rivera comes through.

#2 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,836 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

What Getts has done so far with the train wreck Hurney left behind has been very encouraging. Rivera will be reviewed at the end of this season.

#3 Keep Pounding

Keep Pounding

Smith & Wesson 460

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts
  • LocationIn your backyard!!!!

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

To be honest I like how the team finished last year and the two guys we cut James Anderson and Chris Gamble did not play down the stretch.... So to if you really think about it, G-Man has not dismantle the team, he pretty much has added to it......

Now I would like to see him bring in Alan Branch and maybe some more OL depth.... But for the most part, I really feel good about G-Man and Ron Rivera going into the season.....

#4 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• HUDDLER
  • 9,779 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:08 PM

What type of idiot would even think of such a ridiculous idea? Yeah the new GM is going to purposely sabotage this team to bring in his own posse... LOL.

It's just like the same imbeciles that believe Rivera chose Shula over anyone else because he didn't want to hire his replacement.

#5 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,627 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:08 PM

cough CRA cough cough

#6 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,585 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

Great post dawg.

#7 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,951 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

Jerry Richardson properly identified the problem in Charlotte. Marty Hurney was horrible, as we all know. He thought we could get by with Practice Squad players at important positions and poured tons of money into positions that are easy to fill.

In addition, aside from RB, we had no depth.

Rivera was not a good game manager--he had a young staff and he needed help, I guess. However, the lack of talent took away options. He could not pull Norman out and replace him vs. the Bears. Marty gave him a special teamer to play at S, something I am sure the Atlanta staff knew too well. What could he do? Put Martin in? Remember when he got burned vs. New Orleans in week 17 the week before?What could he do when his scrub DTs were getting blown back vs. Tampa Bay?

Ron simply did not have options, so we really do not know how good he could be yet. Sure, his game management is not good yet--neither is Bill Billichek's game management. He has players--depth and balanced talent. That is the difference.

Gettlemen is working right now to give Rivera some depth--options. Variations of talents and skills.

I am NOT comparing Ron Rivera to Billichek, but if you think Rivera lost 9 games last year, you are wrong. He never played. Without Brady, New England is average and Billichek has no rings. To his credit, however, he recognized Brady's talent and added him to the roster when everyone thought Bledsoe was the man in NE. This move gave BB options, and you know the rest of the story.

Gettlemen is giving Ron options. If he makes the wrong decisions, he will be fired.

#8 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

G is tuning the engine so that it runs correctly. If Rivera can drive it, then fine, if not.......

#9 BeasonBeastingBacks

BeasonBeastingBacks

Farewell Sweet Prince

• HUDDLER
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

he is a liar and a cheat I doth declare!

#10 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,637 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

there is a difference between

1. setting someone up to fail

2. carefully planning so you don't dig yourself into a bigger mess b/c you likely could fire your coach and have to do a 180 the next year

3. and being all in with a coach

Gettlemen is doing 2. He isn't going to do anything that doesn't also put him in position to completely start fresh with a new coach after this year.

#11 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,395 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:34 PM

So, if I have this correct, you are saying that Gettlemen is doing just enough to make it look like he is helping Rivera. When in all actuality, he is just waiting for Ron to fail, so Ron can be fired.

No big signings because Gettlemen is saving his prized resources for the coach he actually wants.

So, while playing hotsy totsy with the bottom of the roster looks good and all. It is all just a smokescreen covering up for a hidden agenda by Gettlemen. To not help Rivera so he fails, gets canned, and a new better/improved coach can be hired.

If that is correct? You go boy. Cuz that one is out there.

Who knows, Gettlemen may have his own guy in mind. But until Ron Fs up, Ron will be here.

#12 cookinbrak

cookinbrak

tastes like chicken...

• HUDDLER
  • 3,049 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

An OC that doesn't call a "read option" on 3 out of 5 plays will help Rivera immensely.

#13 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • 6,299 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

I'd say Gettleman is setting up Ron to do as well as he possibly could given the cap situation.

#14 The Golden Child

The Golden Child

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

This is stupid.

#15 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,637 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

So, if I have this correct, you are saying that Gettlemen is doing just enough to make it look like he is helping Rivera. When in all actuality, he is just waiting for Ron to fail, so Ron can be fired.

No big signings because Gettlemen is saving his prized resources for the coach he actually wants.

So, while playing hotsy totsy with the bottom of the roster looks good and all. It is all just a smokescreen covering up for a hidden agenda by Gettlemen. To not help Rivera so he fails, gets canned, and a new better/improved coach can be hired.

If that is correct? You go boy. Cuz that one is out there.

Who knows, Gettlemen may have his own guy in mind. But until Ron Fs up, Ron will be here.

Ron is on a trial period....Gettlemen would be a crappy GM if he wasn't trying to walk the line and have this team in a good position if he is ready to move on QUICKLY from Rivera. His coach may want completely new pieces. That is why it is best to wait out the bulk of Hurney's mess, do 1 yr deals in the mean time....do the best you can for Ron under conditions he may not be the guy.

ANYONE who thinks the new GM is all in on Ron being his coach from here on out.....is ignoring the Big Cats actions. Big Cats has already made it known Ron's seat is on fire.

Our "offseason" is being greatly overplayed.....we brought in one year band aids or low tier guys, lost our best CB.....and made painfully obvious cap moves the likes of Joe Person even knew had to be made.

GM is doing a fine job given the CONDITIONS he is in.....bad cap and a coach he is forced to endured or a season. Not complaining about what Gettlemen is doing. Doing all he can given where he found himself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com