Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Free Agency Ever?

54 posts in this topic

Posted

I gotta see something on the field before I'm ready to say that.

I'm not a fan of playing the "looks good on paper" card. Lots of past teams that have looked great "on paper" wound up underachieving when it came time to play the game.

Can at least say that I'm impressed with what Gettleman has done so far. It definitely looks like this has the potential to be a great offseason. I have more hope for the future of this team than I've had for some time.

So yes, I believe this offseason will indeed translate to on-field improvement, but I gotta see the quality of the results before I can rightly judge the quality of the process.

Posted

It depends on how you define "Best FA". With the salary cap crunch we were in, this was an outstanding, eventful, surprising and caculating FA. We actually used FA to shore up positions of need to allow us to take the BPA in the draft. Gettleman is already better than Hurney, just to think if Gettleman had been with from the start?

Posted

...just to think if Gettleman had been with from the start?

Not criticizing, but thoughts like this (i.e. what could have been) depress me :(

I would add that my estimation of how good this free agent period has been will certainly go up if I'm given a reason to make a change to my sig pic.

Posted

we had the best team in the league on paper leading up to the 2006 season.

Posted

Can at least say that I'm impressed with what Gettleman has done so far. It definitely looks like this has the potential to be a great offseason. I have more hope for the future of this team than I've had for some time.

This. The fact that Hurney is gone has given me hope for the future.

Posted

This. The fact that Hurney is gone has given me hope for the future.

I've lost count of how many people have said we have "a real GM" now.

Posted

2003 with Davis, Delhomme, Proehl and Favors

Posted

Nope but I'm liking the positive energy creeping back into the forum

Posted

I think I was making this thread with the idea of "what did we not need to fix vs. what we did need to fix." That 1996 class with Beuerlein, Walls, Greene, and Davis, will probably NEVER be matched in terms of quality of player. That's 3 possible hall of famers in one FA class, all in their prime. A class like this is probably impossible to sign in FA these days.

That being said, we have a franchise QB now, so the holes should be easier to fill, yet we still had significant ones all around the roster. I also probably shouldn't have said "cap situation notwithstanding" because that does have a huge bearing on how incredible this FA period has been, all things considered.

Perhaps I was a prisoner of the moment in making this thread. Of course I knew who Beuerlein, Walls, Davis, and Greene were when we signed them back in '96, but I didn't understand how big that was back then because I was like 12 years old.

If we make a run at the Superbowl this year though, this FA class could be considered one of the, if not THE greatest ever, and that's all I'm concerned with.

Posted

Given you judge the quality of a FA class on the field, I will also reserve judgement until I see how everyone plays as a team.

Posted

Concisely put, I think a FA class should be judged by how it translates to success on the field.

For as great as that 1996 group was, we didn't really win with them.

Posted

For as great as that 1996 group was, we didn't really win with them.

12 regular season wins, a playoff game win, and a trip to the NFC Championship game isn't winning?