Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Free Agency Ever?

54 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I know we got zero dollars, but all these 1yr contracts if the team does make a playoff push and bunch of these guys produce, were gonna be picking up scraps again next year.

Posted · Report post

We're making smart free agency moves. The big splash moves rarely pay off. Usually the teams that "win" free agency never live up to the hype on the field.

Posted · Report post

Yah because we added so many impact, pro-bowl starters...

Posted · Report post

The only true thing I can say is.. "this is our best year under gettlemania"

Posted · Report post

If you include the fact that we were $16 million over the cap, that the GM had to work around contracts that were unfeasible to cut, and that the team is in a pretty desperate situation, (Coach, QB*, and stadium), Gettlemen has played some hard ball. Sure, we outbid Dallas for Jake and Stephen Davis wanted to come home where he could be appreciated, but those deals cost money. Gettlemen is doing this with mirrors.
*I think we need to win soon to keep Cam positive and wanting to remain a panther.

If Cole returns for another good year, he upgraded NT.
Getting Dwan back (a 6-sack DT) was beautiful because Gettlemen played hard ball and called his bluff
Mitchell will surprise you folks. He is a hitter and will win fans over like Chris Harris did.
DJ Moore gives us depth at nickel, good special teamer, and wants to try safety. Hmmmm. He is a ball hawk.
Munnerlyn is a classic example of Hurney vs. Gettlemen. Hurney would have given him a 5-year, $20 million deal. We get him much cheaper and have a year to evaluate him vs. Moore. Munnerlyn has competition now.
Ted Ginn should give us better field position and make the special teams a scoring threat, something we have not seen since Bates went down vs. Dallas in preseason a decade ago.
Derek Anderson was a huge get because some backups are raking in the $$. He knows Cam, Shula, and the system.
Blackburn's work ethic and attitude are second to none. They kept trying to find upgrades in NY, but nobody stepped up. He will be solid depth, rotate in on short yardage situations, and lead special teams.

Gettlemen cut Gamble, who retired. We were about to pay a guy who was mentally done $10 million to play a season. He cut Anderson, but Blackburn and a free agent signing are upgrades when you consider what his new role would be.

Sure, Marty threw money around a few times and landed gems like Davis and Delhomme, but doing this with -$16 million is incredible.

Posted · Report post

Gettleman caved and gave Dwan the multi year deal he wanted, soooo...

Cool your jets, folks. He's better than Marty. A sizable percentage of the Huddle is too. We know nothing about Gettleman yet.

To qualify for a "best free agency ever" you typically have to sign at least one starter

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Proudiddy' timestamp='1364652329' post='2181105']
On paper, we have addressed several different positions with starters from other teams on really cheap deals.
[/quote]

Pre- Gettlemen we had holes at...

RG, DT, CB, S... Also big picture holes at WR, T

None of those have been filled....we brought in depth and guys who will backup the vacant holes. CB hole and T hole got bigger in the mean time.

Posted · Report post

I am satisfied with this free agency period. Our biggest moves have been restructures. We have made tons of great moves in restructuring contracts. We have had better Free Agency groups.

2001 was our best draft class of all time. We also brought in Jeff Mitchell, Tod Stuessie, and Kevin Donnally who took us to the Super Bowl. I think we brought in Brenston Buckner as well that year.

2005 we brought in Marlon McCree and Ken Lucas whom got us back in the playoffs.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='KendrickPanther' timestamp='1364741187' post='2181761']
I am satisfied with this free agency period. Our biggest moves have been restructures. We have made tons of great moves in restructuring contracts. We have had better Free Agency groups.

2001 was our best draft class of all time. We also brought in Jeff Mitchell, Tod Stuessie, and Kevin Donnally who took us to the Super Bowl. I think we brought in Brenston Buckner as well that year.

2005 we brought in Marlon McCree and Ken Lucas whom got us back in the playoffs.
[/quote]

Also Wahle in 05...and I think he was All Pro that year

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Mage' timestamp='1364653021' post='2181111']
What about the year we brought in Keyshawn Johnson?
[/quote]

Keyshawn was a big name but kind of blew chunks....

Posted · Report post

Keyshawn had a good year that year. There was really no reason to cut him other than he didn't fit the Panthers personality mold and it was assumed Jarrett would come in and do just fine

This kind of renders your opinion on this year's receiver prospects null and void..

Posted · Report post

70 grabs. Over 800 yards. 4 TDs.

Oh yeah. So glad we cut that guy. More proof against free agency right there folks!! It's been proven time and time again! Good players just don't help win football games! When will you people get it?!?