#31 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

We dominated time of possession though!

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,989 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

Those were the good 'ol days.

our roster was nuts that year. we had just been in the nfc championship game and it was allegedly one of those "one piece away" type scenarios.

jake coming off a pro bowl year and steve smith coming off the triple crown + keyshawn johnson signed. hartwig was considered a strong upgrade at center over mitchell. ken lucas and gamble arguable pro bowl snubs. brought in one of the top DTs in free agency in kemoeatu with jenkins coming back healthy. landed williams in the draft too.

then steve had hamstring problems all through camp, preseason, and the first two weeks of the regular season and we went 8-8.

#32 Stroupe-a-loop

Stroupe-a-loop

SeƱor Member

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

Ken Lucas, Mike Wahle, and Marlon McCree had good performances here, and we made it to an NFC championship game, so I'd take the 05 class over this one too.

It's not really fair to this years class because some guys from this one could surprise and start or we could have a nice season, but I'd take 96, 03, and 05 over this one easily right now.

#33 Udogg

Udogg

Cardiac Victim since 95

• HUDDLER
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

Just woke up from a really good nap. Did I miss the entire season? Because afaik none of these guys have played a snap in Carolina uniform so how can we judge this class? It's kind of like the draft grades given out. There is always someone who was rated an A immediately after the draft that after a few years it's really an F. Vice Versa...

#34 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,276 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

i think it's among the most impressive from a cap perspective where we were prior to FA starting and where we are now and having taken no steps backward (and i don't see losing gamble and ron as being steps backward, esp gamble because of how little impact he made).

from a personnel standpoint we are at least as good as we were and in much better cap space with quite a bit of room to use even this year to improve.

it's also given us a glimpse of what we can expect from gettleman in his handling of the cap. remember, he wasn't considered a cap guy...he was considered a football guy whose greatest strength was is talent scouting.

we may want to wait to see what his acquisitions do on the field, but if his ability to scout talent and find hidden gems is his strong point, I've got very little reason to doubt the talent that he's brought in.

One of the better quotes I remember reading about Gettleman came from Tom Coughlin.

Coughlin said "Dave knows what a football player looks like."

#35 The Golden Child

The Golden Child

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

our roster was nuts that year. we had just been in the nfc championship game and it was allegedly one of those "one piece away" type scenarios.

jake coming off a pro bowl year and steve smith coming off the triple crown + keyshawn johnson signed. hartwig was considered a strong upgrade at center over mitchell. ken lucas and gamble arguable pro bowl snubs. brought in one of the top DTs in free agency in kemoeatu with jenkins coming back healthy. landed williams in the draft too.

then steve had hamstring problems all through camp, preseason, and the first two weeks of the regular season and we went 8-8.

That was a hell of a roster, should have been a hell of a team.

#36 panthers04100

panthers04100

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

hard to believe that was 7 years ago. Crazy how time flies. Hurney use to be able to put a great team together on paper it just seems like he lost his mind after that Arizona playoff game.

#37 ForMac

ForMac

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:47 PM

I know we got zero dollars, but all these 1yr contracts if the team does make a playoff push and bunch of these guys produce, were gonna be picking up scraps again next year.

#38 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 5,247 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:29 AM

We're making smart free agency moves. The big splash moves rarely pay off. Usually the teams that "win" free agency never live up to the hype on the field.

#39 SauceBoss

SauceBoss

IT IS WHAT IT IS

• HUDDLER
  • 2,294 posts
  • LocationGreenville, SC

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:23 AM

Yah because we added so many impact, pro-bowl starters...

#40 Jakob

Jakob

never conquered rarely came

• Stop Making Threads...
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:29 AM

The only true thing I can say is.. "this is our best year under gettlemania"

#41 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:05 AM

If you include the fact that we were $16 million over the cap, that the GM had to work around contracts that were unfeasible to cut, and that the team is in a pretty desperate situation, (Coach, QB*, and stadium), Gettlemen has played some hard ball. Sure, we outbid Dallas for Jake and Stephen Davis wanted to come home where he could be appreciated, but those deals cost money. Gettlemen is doing this with mirrors.
*I think we need to win soon to keep Cam positive and wanting to remain a panther.

If Cole returns for another good year, he upgraded NT.
Getting Dwan back (a 6-sack DT) was beautiful because Gettlemen played hard ball and called his bluff
Mitchell will surprise you folks. He is a hitter and will win fans over like Chris Harris did.
DJ Moore gives us depth at nickel, good special teamer, and wants to try safety. Hmmmm. He is a ball hawk.
Munnerlyn is a classic example of Hurney vs. Gettlemen. Hurney would have given him a 5-year, $20 million deal. We get him much cheaper and have a year to evaluate him vs. Moore. Munnerlyn has competition now.
Ted Ginn should give us better field position and make the special teams a scoring threat, something we have not seen since Bates went down vs. Dallas in preseason a decade ago.
Derek Anderson was a huge get because some backups are raking in the $$. He knows Cam, Shula, and the system.
Blackburn's work ethic and attitude are second to none. They kept trying to find upgrades in NY, but nobody stepped up. He will be solid depth, rotate in on short yardage situations, and lead special teams.

Gettlemen cut Gamble, who retired. We were about to pay a guy who was mentally done $10 million to play a season. He cut Anderson, but Blackburn and a free agent signing are upgrades when you consider what his new role would be.

Sure, Marty threw money around a few times and landed gems like Davis and Delhomme, but doing this with -$16 million is incredible.

#42 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,240 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

Gettleman caved and gave Dwan the multi year deal he wanted, soooo...

Cool your jets, folks. He's better than Marty. A sizable percentage of the Huddle is too. We know nothing about Gettleman yet.

To qualify for a "best free agency ever" you typically have to sign at least one starter

#43 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,337 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:40 AM

On paper, we have addressed several different positions with starters from other teams on really cheap deals.

Pre- Gettlemen we had holes at...

RG, DT, CB, S... Also big picture holes at WR, T

None of those have been filled....we brought in depth and guys who will backup the vacant holes. CB hole and T hole got bigger in the mean time.

#44 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,056 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

I am satisfied with this free agency period. Our biggest moves have been restructures. We have made tons of great moves in restructuring contracts. We have had better Free Agency groups.

2001 was our best draft class of all time. We also brought in Jeff Mitchell, Tod Stuessie, and Kevin Donnally who took us to the Super Bowl. I think we brought in Brenston Buckner as well that year.

2005 we brought in Marlon McCree and Ken Lucas whom got us back in the playoffs.

#45 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,337 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

I am satisfied with this free agency period. Our biggest moves have been restructures. We have made tons of great moves in restructuring contracts. We have had better Free Agency groups.

2001 was our best draft class of all time. We also brought in Jeff Mitchell, Tod Stuessie, and Kevin Donnally who took us to the Super Bowl. I think we brought in Brenston Buckner as well that year.

2005 we brought in Marlon McCree and Ken Lucas whom got us back in the playoffs.

Also Wahle in 05...and I think he was All Pro that year

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com