Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Inconvenient Truth GM Edition(Hurney vs Gettleman)

86 posts in this topic

Posted

Ok Gettleman brought in a guy who makes our return game relevant again. He played hardball with Munnerlyn and owned him. He brought in guys for pennies who have ability and who will help balance out our roster. I mean do you not realize the cap situation? Go try boxing with one hand tied behind your back and tell me how it goes.

I addressed this in the OP. Munnerlyn was offered a 3 year 5 million dollar deal by Gettleman. For whatever reason Captain scoffed at it and tested the market. By the time he came back to us we had already replaced him with D.J. Moore. So therefore Gettleman backed his offer down.

You guys act like Hurney would have played it any different but can't name me 1 time he let a nickel corner bully him around.

Posted

Gettleman has a leg up because of his ability to navigate a situation he didn't create. He had it dropped in his plate. On a short schedule he came in evaluated our roster studied our contracts and still managed to scout free agents and I'm just assuming here, he is prepared for the draft. These "names" that we brought in are light years ahead of what hurney looked for.

Hurneys downfall was that he was retained to long and his wounds were allowed to fester. Gettleman immediately gets the nod because he's new. He has improved his stock by doing things this offseason most of us thought were not possible.

First of all Rob Rogers the cap guy who at the very least assisted in setting these contracts up helped Gettleman navigate them. Fans on this message board called the moves that he made in advance, because they were no brainers.

How can you say these names he brought in are light years ahead of what Hurney looked for??

I agree with your bolded part.

Posted

Gettlejuice gets the nod over Hurndawg because he is an actual football talent evaluator and has years of scouting experience whereas Hurney was just a sportswriter who thought he could be a GM

1 person likes this

Posted

Gettlejuice gets the nod over Hurndawg because he is an actual football talent evaluator and has years of scouting experience whereas Hurney was just a sportswriter who thought he could be a GM

I agree Gettleman's resume smokes Hunrney's but his limited actions so far are not the night and day difference many are proclaiming it go be.

He's his own man so he surely will be different and hopefully better in every regard than Hurney but it's not proven yet is all I am saying.

Posted

I agree Gettleman's resume smokes Hunrney's but his limited actions so far are not the night and day difference many are proclaiming it go be.

He's his own man so he surely will be different and hopefully better in every regard than Hurney but it's not proven yet is all I am saying.

I think we'll see if Gettleman separates himself from Hurney or not come draft time. That is when his scouting background should show over Hurney's

Posted

Great thread OP, and I agree with you about Gettleman somewhat. I'm going to wait to see how some of these pieces workout on the field, and some of the moves next offseason before I crown Gettleman.

1 person likes this

Posted

Hurney, is that you?

Posted

Very good posting.

Most fans won't agree with any of it, out of their blind hatred for hurney.

They all did the same with fox too.

Hurney was one of the best at getting under the cap with room to sign key free agents.

They ONLY difference i see, is that Gettleman is a football guy. Which is a huge plus for him, as he's going to have his own opinion (a good one knowing his track record), on players other than what the scouts are telling him.

Posted

What he has proven so far is that he places proper value on players, something Hurney has never done. That in and of itself makes him far superior to Hurney. While the players he has signed have to "prove" themselves, he has done a masterful job thus far in my opinion.

Posted

Are you really comparing Hurney to a top tier in-house evaluator and tape guru who has six trips to the Superbowl and three Lombardi trophies under his belt with off-season moves? Holy ****.

Get back to me when Gettleman has actual room to work with. This is a poorly constructed argument if I ever saw one. Yes, Hurney signed Dwan, Nakamura and Tolbert but he also placed us in Cap hell (outrageous contracts) and drafted duds beyond the first round.

Posted

reminds me of the old P4L thread about how Hurney was such a great GM and we couldn't possibly find anyone better.

Posted

lol here you go