Photo
- - - - -

Inconvenient Truth GM Edition(Hurney vs Gettleman)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
85 replies to this topic

#37 FutureDynasty

FutureDynasty

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

Gettleman has WON Superbowls (albeit not in the GM position) so off the bat I'm already more impressed by him.

#38 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

From what I've observed most huddlers are cautiously optimistic regarding Gettleman. Why does it have to be one extreme or the other as you describe it? I appreciate you taking the time to post all that, but it just isn't necessary. How about we atleast let the guy complete the draft first before comparing him to Hurney...

#39 frash.exe

frash.exe

Freddy Frashbear

HUDDLER

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

I'm actually surprised someone still has the nerve after all of this to still be creating an epic appeal for Hurney

Actually I'm not surprised because on this forum nobody ever admits they were wrong they just try to slide their argument in by a different angle

#40 panther4life

panther4life

HUDDLER

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

I really should have just said its too early to judge Gettleman yet but so far so good. My bad for tying to be in depth.

#41 MtnJax

MtnJax

SUPPORTER

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

for the 2011 contract debacles, i hold Hurney at fault along with JR. i'm sure JR told Hurney to do what it took to keep those players, but as has been mentioned already Hurney overvalued the players and spent more than was needed. remember, even CJ said he was shocked at what he was offered which says to me we didn't need to offer that much

#42 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

BPA

SUPPORTER

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

Td; dr

(Too dumb didn't read)

#43 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

HUDDLER

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

I really should have just said its too early to judge Gettleman yet but so far so good. My bad for tying to be in depth.

I understand the point of this thread. And you will get people who give one liners, because most either don't like to engage in these conversations or are two lazy to type out how they really feel about it.

The dude inherited a complete mess. You can blame that on the owner, the GM or both. Most blame it on the GM. So when Gettleman comes in here and doesn't bullshit around. Gives an offer, the player decides to test the market, and then comes back and Gettleman offers basically HALF of what he had originally offered. That is what gets me excited. Moves like that. The Anderson move, the Blackburn signing.

I never saw Hurney make moves like this before. The mammoth CJ contract (i'm actually fine with this but it's still a lot), the Anderson contract, the Beason Contract (he had a known achilles problem), the D-Low and Stewart contracts. These were fiscally irresponsible and hindered other areas of our team from progressing.

If Gettleman proves through this draft that he is the great talent evaluator, which i believe him to be, it will just be icing on the cake in this discussion.

#44 Mvp2014

Mvp2014

Phenom

HUDDLER

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

People still in denial over Hurney being a terrible GM?

#45 panther4life

panther4life

HUDDLER

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

I understand the point of this thread. And you will get people who give one liners, because most either don't like to engage in these conversations or are two lazy to type out how they really feel about it.

The dude inherited a complete mess. You can blame that on the owner, the GM or both. Most blame it on the GM. So when Gettleman comes in here and doesn't bullshit around. Gives an offer, the player decides to test the market, and then comes back and Gettleman offers basically HALF of what he had originally offered. That is what gets me excited. Moves like that. The Anderson move, the Blackburn signing.

I never saw Hurney make moves like this before. The mammoth CJ contract (i'm actually fine with this but it's still a lot), the Anderson contract, the Beason Contract (he had a known achilles problem), the D-Low and Stewart contracts. These were fiscally irresponsible and hindered other areas of our team from progressing.

If Gettleman proves through this draft that he is the great talent evaluator, which i believe him to be, it will just be icing on the cake in this discussion.

Funny thing is nowhere in the op did I praise Hurney. I just said the escape route was already put in place by the same cap guy (rob Rogers) who is in place now. I said the moves were not something that took some masterful GM powers to make, as evidenced by more than a few posters predicted them to happen before they did.

The inconvenient part was that its fun to claim Hurney is the worst ever( I def. see the argument for it) but at the same time Gettelman has made the same moves that were pre arranged by Hurney/Rogers to get us under the cap.

Basically many praise Gettelman for getting us under the cap, when the blueprint was already laid out by the most hated person on this board with the assistance of Rogers.

Does that make sense?

Then as you mentioned the lazy posters want to assume I'm saying Hurney was the greatest and Gman sucks. Far from the truth and anyone can see it if they just the read post

#46 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

HUDDLER

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

Funny thing is nowhere in the op did I praise Hurney. I just said the escape route was already put in place by the same cap guy (rob Rogers) who is in place now. I said the moves were not something that took some masterful GM powers to make, as evidenced by more than a few posters predicted them to happen before they did.

The inconvenient part was that its fun to claim Hurney is the worst ever( I def. see the argument for it) but at the same time Gettelman has made the same moves that were pre arranged by Hurney/Rogers to get us under the cap.

Basically many praise Gettelman for getting us under the cap, when the blueprint was already laid out by the most hated person on this board with the assistance of Rogers.

Does that make sense?

I think bottom line is Panthers fans have a bad taste in their mouth from Hurney. We're not used to a good GM. So when i use words like masterful, it's because I'm so use to Hurney making the wrong decisions.

How were these moves pre-arranged by Hurney? He just signed Anderson to that 5 year contract in 2011? Gamble? Yea, maybe Hurney would have cut him. But, you seemed to brush over the signings Hurney made and you say he would have made the same choices as Gettleman has made this year? Hurney gave money out with his heart, not his head. He was a fan GM. The facts lay that out.

Some of your proclamations i think are just interpreting the facts wrong. But that's just my opinion.

And for you to make this thread telling people to "quit exaggerating" when in my opinion you are exaggerating your claims is well, you probably know the word. People like what they see now because this is how a real GM operates. You evaluate and value players based on your head and not your heart. Hurney never did that. This little bit of time we have seen Gettleman work has already shown he is the opposite. Although, working out that Syracuse QB had me scratching my head.

#47 frash.exe

frash.exe

Freddy Frashbear

HUDDLER

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:55 PM

Don't blame people for being lazy because you don't know how to captivate readers

#48 panther4life

panther4life

HUDDLER

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

I think bottom line is Panthers fans have a bad taste in their mouth from Hurney. We're not used to a good GM. So when i use words like masterful, it's because I'm so use to Hurney making the wrong decisions.

How were these moves pre-arranged by Hurney? He just signed Anderson to that 5 year contract in 2011? Gamble? Yea, maybe Hurney would have cut him. But, you seemed to brush over the signings Hurney made and you say he would have made the same choices as Gettleman has made this year? Hurney gave money out with his heart, not his head. He was a fan GM. The facts lay that out.

Some of your proclamations i think are just interpreting the facts wrong. But that's just my opinion.

And for you to make this thread telling people to "quit exaggerating" when in my opinion you are exaggerating your claims is well, you probably know the word. People like what they see now because this is how a real GM operates. You evaluate and value players based on your head and not your heart. Hurney never did that. This little bit of time we have seen Gettleman work has already shown he is the opposite. Although, working out that Syracuse QB had me scratching my head.

Cutting Gamble and Edwards had to be done and I like to think any gm would have done so to get us under the cap. Thats what I refer to as prearranged moves.

I do you see your point otherwise and see the error of my ways, so congrats on being the first to logically and successfully help see things a little more clearly from an opposing perspective.

Thank you.