Photo
- - - - -

Inconvenient Truth GM Edition(Hurney vs Gettleman)

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#76 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,416 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:03 AM

and another thing regarding Hurney's interest in Jacoby Jones. He couldn't lure him here for whatever reason, but somehow, a year later, Gettleman imports a return guy from the NFC champions to play for us. ...And you don't see a difference in that? C'mon, get fuging real.

#77 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,284 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:27 AM

Its not an argument.It's me voicing my opinion on seeing several remarks exaggerating the genius of the moves that Gettleman has made thus far and the blind hate for Hurney becomes it seems like the cool thing to do. Who gives a fug about him now that he's gone, before this thread you rarely see me mention his name anymore.

I just wanted to have a conversation about it but I do blame myself somewhat for not knowing how to tactfully state that I disagree with others opinions on here without coming off as arrogant or what have you. I at least give in depth reasoning behind my thought's and basically that's all I want for others who care to participate in this thread.

Your opinion is woefully misguided though. It's fine to believe The Huddle is suffering from another hyperbolic breakdown (this place isn't known for logic and reason anyhow) but come on, man. Gettleman's tenure just commenced. He's signing the guys we can afford with the limited resources we possess, and he's done a great job thus far.

#78 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,035 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:24 AM

The biggest difference, to me, is not the quality of the players-Gettlemen had negative money. The biggest difference is his willingness to address all of the positions on the field. We are actually looking at WR and DT now.

Do you think Gettlemen would have re-signed DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart to those monster deals? Shave about $20 million off the Charles Johnson deal and he still comes to Carolina--Marty was paranoid. Did Beason and Kalil really deserve to be the highest paid players at their positions in NFL history? When we thought Godfrey was a bust, Marty made him rich.

Maybe we need to see Gettlemen blow through about $70 million in cap space to change our minds, but Gettlemen is showing me that he understands free agency. I get the feeling that we will never be much of a free agent big spender, but we will pay a special player who can put us over the top. Spending $70 million to re-sign the core from a 2-14 team is CRAZY!!!

#79 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,380 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

I just completely disagree. What was the cap like in 2002 when Hurney was hired? I was 14 years old, it couldn't have been worse than what Gettleman has had to deal with.

I think you have some sort of deep seeded resentment towards Gettleman because of his comments about read-option QB's.

lol....b/c I don't claim a GM is a genius a few months into the offseason where he hasn't done much outside some pretty obvious and small deals? Bpttom line is we don't know what Gettlemen is or isn't about yet. He could be great or a completely differently yet equally bad as Hurn-dawg.

And yeah, if you are a Cam Newton mega supporter, which I am..his comments are a tad worrisome. I easily admit that....but all that matters is Ron wins this year. Ron stays, Cam stays, and we continue to part of innovative NFL football. Give Gettlemen a clean slate and he seems more prone to hire a coach that isn't about the new Cam era of ball based on his old school mentality. History also shows new HC means new QB in 2 years pending he didn't inherit a Superbowl champ.

#80 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,380 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

The biggest difference, to me, is not the quality of the players-Gettlemen had negative money. The biggest difference is his willingness to address all of the positions on the field. We are actually looking at WR and DT now.

Do you think Gettlemen would have re-signed DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart to those monster deals? Shave about $20 million off the Charles Johnson deal and he still comes to Carolina--Marty was paranoid. Did Beason and Kalil really deserve to be the highest paid players at their positions in NFL history? When we thought Godfrey was a bust, Marty made him rich.

Maybe we need to see Gettlemen blow through about $70 million in cap space to change our minds, but Gettlemen is showing me that he understands free agency. I get the feeling that we will never be much of a free agent big spender, but we will pay a special player who can put us over the top. Spending $70 million to re-sign the core from a 2-14 team is CRAZY!!!

All those are fair points....

But there are some that look at it and ask....how much was Hurney vs Richardson.

#81 Gabeking

Gabeking

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:54 AM

He's setting us up nicely to draft BPA, which hurney hasn't ever been able to do consistently. And if you look at the giants FA history during his period their, they barely ever missed on a signing (gettleman was in charge of free agency in NY). So it's giving us fans something to be optimistic for, nothing wrong with that.

#82 mjligon

mjligon

@mleezy53

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

fug this thread

#83 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,380 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

He's setting us up nicely to draft BPA, which hurney hasn't ever been able to do consistently. And if you look at the giants FA history during his period their, they barely ever missed on a signing (gettleman was in charge of free agency in NY). So it's giving us fans something to be optimistic for, nothing wrong with that.

How do you figure we are more set up now than the day before he arrived. All be brought in was depth and some of that is questionable.

What holes did he fill? Outside of return man

#84 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

Remember how bad Fox was, and how he would never get another HC job?

Both Fox and Hurney were the best at their jobs the franchise had to that point, and they did a great job at making the Panthers relevant year in and year out. Both had flaws, but neither was nearly as bad as some of the posters here would have you believe. Right now, it's Hurney's turn to get dumped on, and it will be until people start disagreeing with stuff that Gettleman does.

I just hope that Gettleman does as well in his first few years as Hurney did in his. And I also hope that he doesn't get so attached to his own guys that he allows the team to suffer for it.

#85 OneBadCat

OneBadCat

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:33 AM

How do you figure we are more set up now than the day before he arrived. All be brought in was depth and some of that is questionable.

What holes did he fill? Outside of return man

Well he brought Captain back and brought in DJ Moore. Those guys aren't starters but we now have two players who are #3(sometimes #2) caliber CB's who will be on the roster as the 3rd and 4th CB's. With Josh Thomas and Norman that is pretty good depth. No clear cut #1 CB but those guys won't be push overs.

Mike Mitchell brings competition and actually has some range which is some Nakamura never had. Not a clear cut starter but is probably an adequate player with competition.

I think Dave is setting us up to bring starters in through the draft. I think DT will be #1 because it doesn't look like we are signing anyone else and we need someone who can play NT. I don't think we're bringing anyone else in at CB and I"m in the minority here that would say it's not necessary.

A talented WR should be in our grasp in the first two rounds. He's building our team from the ground up which I think is awesome because it will show late in games when guys get tired and you need the secondary guys to fill in and come up bbig.

#86 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,380 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

I think Dave is setting us up to bring starters in through the draft. I think DT will be #1 because it doesn't look like we are signing anyone else and we need someone who can play NT. I don't think we're bringing anyone else in at CB and I"m in the minority here that would say it's not necessary.

Starters? Plural? For 2013?

You are lucky to get one legit year one starter out of a draft. We have aren't going to plug all our holes with draft picks....I mean we could but that is the Hurney way( and as Steve Smith points out it makes it tough to win).

Realistically, if you replaced Amini and Norman last season with 2 average vets....we probably would have been a better team with more wins. They both should of been bench riders working on their game

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com