271 replies to this topic

#61 Riverboat Ron

Riverboat Ron

The Gambler

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

Would give us some good competition at the position.

Posted Image

#62 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,497 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

this will not and should not stop picking up a WR in the 1st or 2nd.

#63 Fan01

Fan01

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

Don't sleep on Lafell. He has gotten better and better every single years he's been here. I still think he can be a quality #2 guy for us.

#64 Jakob

Jakob

never conquered rarely came

• Stop Making Threads...
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

Would be a solid third.

#65 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • 10,354 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

this will not and should not stop picking up a WR in the 1st or 2nd.

Agree, time for Smitty to retire that #1 WR spot.

Also, Hixon is extremely injury prone. He reminds me some what of DJ Hackett. I'd sign him as #3 maybe #4 WR.

#66 jdpanther5

jdpanther5

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationBurlington

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

Hixon is a very good receiver. Unfortunately though he's been very injury prone. With his ability, I think he's a good number two if he can stay healthy.

I also don't think signing him would preclude us from taking a WR in the draft. Consider the team our new GM came from...the Giants drafted Barden a couple rounds after Nicks. And then despite having those two as well as Cruz and Hixon, they still spent a second on Rueben Randle last year.

If we sign Hixon (or another similar caliber receiver) and draft another. I'd imagine we'd start the season with Smith, LaFell, Hixon, Ginn, Rookie, and 1-2 of Gettis, Adams, Pilares, Edwards, and Bryant (who we could also send back to the practice squad if necessary).

#67 panthers90

panthers90

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationFremont, CA

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

Anyone else starting to think that we aren't picking a WR in the first couple of rounds- with no top 15 consensus WR, and everyone not having that star potential we need to replace Smitty.

If we have Smitty, Lafell, Hixon, Ginn, Adams/Gettis- that's a pretty solid WR core. After Hixon (assuming we get him) does it really matter? I don't think we are going to run any 4 WR sets, and have Ginn/Adams for any gadget plays we want to run.

Looking at our TE group , I can see Gettleman going after someone like Ertz instead of a WR.

#68 BigBeezy

BigBeezy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

Gettleman said he wanted to bring in more playmakers for Cam and improve the overall talent of the team.

Hixon is a solid #3 WR and can step in as a decent #2, like last year when Nicks got injured. He can also play special teams.

If Hixon is signed, it'll just signify that nobody's role on the team, outside of Smitty, is safe including Lafell. Players tend work that much harder when there is someone breathing down their neck trying to take a job from them.

Also, I don't think signing Hixon would or should rule out us taking a WR in the 1st 2 rounds. Keep in mind that in addition to Smitty being near the end of his career, Lafell is in contract year and will be a FA after next season.

This move would just allow us to take BPA, which has been the plan all along.

#69 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,497 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

and even if he does sign here, he might not be on the roster past TC. with him, Nicks, Cruz,Jerringan and Barden the Giants still invested in Randle in the 2nd round.

#70 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

As has been stated, it is almost a surety that Gettleman does not have the faith in our WR corp, nor value or evaluate them the same way as some of the Huddle homers. The WRs here do not get Gettleman's stamp of approval, and I might add that they are not likely getting endorsed by Rivera either. And if you're really objective about it, why should either of them be impressed with any WR other than the enigma, Smitty? Adding Ginn and possibly another C level WR that has B level potential does not mean that we are going to pass on a WR in the first or the second that we feel is a legitimate playmaker. Why would it? Moreover, adding a couple of guys---one with a definite injury history---who have upside and potential to be better than what we already have should not only make our current corps nervous, but it should really indicate to fans that no one is really safe at the position (which they really aren't), except for 89, and possibly LaFell, And, even LaFell should be concerned with losing his starting spot because he hasn't done enough to secure it.

The Village People of WRs is not safe, There is going to be a competition all the way up until the beginning of the regular season to see who will stay, and who will go.

#71 nagai

nagai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

If we do sign Hixon or any other receiver from here on, I think that would pretty much seal the faith on a WR in the 1st or 2nd. Base on the moves in FA, its looking like Gettleman is putting us toward to taking a DT at 14.

No, you're not thinking like Gettleman. He's gonna draft BPA regardless. My guess is that he's not comfortable with the WR's as they are, if we don't draft a wideout.

Put it this way, say you're in love with Richardson, Star and Floyd. You're convinced that one of them should be drafted at 14. But when draft day rolls by, something crazy happens (as it always does) and none of them are there when it's our pick. Meanwhile, your highest rated prospect is Tavon Austin and he's sitting right there, ready to be drafted. Are you gonna do something dumb and reach for Kawaan Short or something?

Gettleman said that he'll use FA so we can draft BPA. What does that mean? It means you sign cheap veterans so your positional needs are completely horrible. When most of your positions are at least adequate, you can go ahead and draft the best talent, rather than reach.

My guess is that Gettleman thought the WR situation's pretty bad. If they sign Hixon, they'll be adequate. Will they be awesome? No, they won't. Would that stop them drafting a WR if that guy's the BPA? No they won't. Gettleman's just setting the stage.

#72 BigSyke

BigSyke

I Know you Watching me but I'm watching you too Playa...

• HUDDLER
  • 2,125 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:03 PM

Decent sure handed slot, but very slow. Still need to draft wr in 1st or 2nd.

#73 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 17,200 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

Don't sleep on Lafell. He has gotten better and better every single years he's been here. I still think he can be a quality #2 guy for us.

Hes half of what Moose was

#74 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 17,200 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

No, you're not thinking like Gettleman. He's gonna draft BPA regardless. My guess is that he's not comfortable with the WR's as they are, if we don't draft a wideout.

Put it this way, say you're in love with Richardson, Star and Floyd. You're convinced that one of them should be drafted at 14. But when draft day rolls by, something crazy happens (as it always does) and none of them are there when it's our pick. Meanwhile, your highest rated prospect is Tavon Austin and he's sitting right there, ready to be drafted. Are you gonna do something dumb and reach for Kawaan Short or something?

Gettleman said that he'll use FA so we can draft BPA. What does that mean? It means you sign cheap veterans so your positional needs are completely horrible. When most of your positions are at least adequate, you can go ahead and draft the best talent, rather than reach.

My guess is that Gettleman thought the WR situation's pretty bad. If they sign Hixon, they'll be adequate. Will they be awesome? No, they won't. Would that stop them drafting a WR if that guy's the BPA? No they won't. Gettleman's just setting the stage.

No one know how Gettleman thinks. The guy been here for like 3 months only.

And one of my three favorite DTs (Star, Floyd, Sheldon) will be there at 14. Im not a fan of Kawaan at all. If all three of them do end up being off the board by 14, Hankins, Syl. Williams, and maybe a Jon Jenkins is still good enough to be taken at 14.

Mayock said that he believe that a lot of OL could be taken in the 1st. That there is a big drop off after a guy like Pugh that could force teams to reach for a Pugh or Fluker earlier than they should. Guys like Joeckel, Fisher, Lane, Warmack, Cooper, Fluker and Pugh could all go in the 1st. If that happen, a Star or Sheldon should very well be there at 14. I don't see why Gettleman would pass them up for a receiver. The only thing we know about Gettleman or try to know about him is that he came from NYG. A team built on having good Dline play.

#75 BigBeezy

BigBeezy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

Decent sure handed slot, but very slow. Still need to draft wr in 1st or 2nd.

I wouldn't necessarily classify him as very slow, he ran between 4.36-4.48 coming out of Akron, but I agree that we should still grab a WR in the 1st or 2nd even if we sign him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.