Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Greg Cossell talks top WR's and DT's for this draft.

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#31 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,938 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

your absolutely crazy if you think proehl couldnt teach someone how to run routes. you'll just say anything to prove a point

yep, and it's not like he's going to be teaching a squirrel to be a belly dancer. he's working with players who have a decent foundation and natural talent to work with and if they are a blank slate then that's fine as well because it will be easier than overcoming bad habits taught by others.

if you draft the right guy, he's got a good balance between potential and coachability. he'll be likely to reach his potential because he takes to coaching so well, puts in the extra work they all need to be putting in, and has shown growth.

#32 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

your absolutely crazy if you think proehl couldnt teach someone how to ru?n routes. you'll just say anything to prove a point

When the fug has he done it before?
It's crazy for you to just think that a guy who has never coached or develop talent can do it in his first shot at it. You act like Ricky is going to step in and be Richard Williamson.

#33 KJ89

KJ89

bottom line

• HUDDLER
  • 2,805 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

Tavon fugging Austin

#34 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

When the fug has he done it before?
It's crazy for you to just think that a guy who has never coached or develop talent can do it in his first shot at it. You act like Ricky is going to step in and be Richard Williamson.

You act like we'd be drafting someone who'd never played football before. He wouldn't be trying to teach some track star how to play WR. He'd be developing a college WR to play WR in the NFL.

This is why I DON'T want Patterson in the 1st. He's just too raw. I don't want a player who is that raw at #14. No thanks.

If we take a WR at #14, I want to take a WIDE RECEIVER, not a talented athlete to try to develop as a WR. Patterson may turn into a very good NFL WR for all I know, but I think it's going to be a few years down the road. I wouldn't expect much out of him as a WR for the first couple of seasons. I don't want a project at #14.

#35 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

You act like we'd be drafting someone who'd never played football before. He wouldn't be trying to teach some track star how to play WR. He'd be developing a college WR to play WR in the NFL.

This is why I DON'T want Patterson in the 1st. He's just too raw. I don't want a player who is that raw at #14. No thanks.

If we take a WR at #14, I want to take a WIDE RECEIVER, not a talented athlete to try to develop as a WR. Patterson may turn into a very good NFL WR for all I know, but I think it's going to be a few years down the road. I wouldn't expect much out of him as a WR for the first couple of seasons. I don't want a project at #14.

Then we are saying the same exact thing. I said in my post I think we should take a WR this year. But it should be option for rounds 1,2,3 if we can get a 3rd and 4. It shouldn't be just a 1st round option. And I don't want Patterson at all.

#36 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

At this point I would take 4 or 5 WR over Patterson.

#37 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

I don't think it's ever a good idea to force a pick. You should never go into the draft saying "we're gonna draft position x in the 1st". IMO, our biggest needs are WR, DT, OL, and DB in no particular order. In the 1st and 2cd, we should take the BPA out of those positions.

#38 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:42 PM

I don't think it's ever a good idea to force a pick. You should never go into the draft saying "we're gonna draft position x in the 1st". IMO, our biggest needs are WR, DT, OL, and DB in no particular order. In the 1st and 2cd, we should take the BPA out of those positions.

I agree my only hope is they don't take the gamble with Patterson at 14. If we trade back get some more picks then I wouldn't have a problem drafting him either just not at 14 and only have 4 picks left. As long as we get starters out of our 1st 2-3 picks I'm happy. Preferably either at Ol, Dt, and the secondary.

#39 SOJA

SOJA

King McNutt 2016

• HUDDLER
  • 9,157 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

the more I hear about Patterson the less and less I want him, we aren't known for developing receivers, and this kid is going to take a lot of work

#40 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

the more I hear about Patterson the less and less I want him, we aren't known for developing receivers, and this kid is going to take a lot of work

But you get called a hater if you're concerned about his flaws.

#41 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

I don't think it's about "hating", it's about legitimate concerns. We only have 5 picks. We gotta make 'em count. If we were the 49ers coming off of a Super Bowl appearance and having 14 picks to play with, it'd be more tempting to roll the dice on a prospect like Patterson. We just have too many holes to fill and too few picks to do it with to take such a big gamble.

#42 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

I don't think it's about "hating", it's about legitimate concerns. We only have 5 picks. We gotta make 'em count. If we were the 49ers coming off of a Super Bowl appearance and having 14 picks to play with, it'd be more tempting to roll the dice on a prospect like Patterson. We just have too many holes to fill and too few picks to do it with to take such a big gamble.

Tell this to the Pro Patterson group. Where have you been the last month when I was getting torched for the same opinion?

#43 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• HUDDLER
  • 11,328 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

Steve Smith credits Proehl for making him a better receiver and route runner. As do Tory Holt and Issac Bruce. I'd say that's a pretty good track record for helping young WR's out and making them better.

#44 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• HUDDLER
  • 7,703 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

But you get called a hater if you're concerned about his flaws.

You're a hater because you never shut the fug up about it.

#45 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• HUDDLER
  • 11,328 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

Why is it a gamble? This isn't a playoff team right now and it isn't close to being one. There's way to much of a lack of talent at key positions. There's issues on the OL at RG and RT, there's age and health issues at LT. There's issues at LB with health, there's issues in the secondary with no starting caliber players at all at CB or safety. There's a lack of a starting caliber DT on the team as well. WR talent is shallow and the one good player is a getting old. There's question marks along the coaching staff and what the direction of the team is going forward.

Oh and then there's the flat cap and a group of 5 that take up an increasingly large part of it over the next few years.

It's development and rebuild time, there's nothing wrong with taking a wr that's going to take time to develop when the whole team needs a huge talent influx and it's going to take a few years to replace the damage done by the lockout and previous poor drafting.

Team needs,
Starting RG, RT Future starting LT
Starting WR, future wr #2 or slot receiver.
Starting DT, Starting NT, future starting DE plus depth all across the line.
Starting caliber backups at SLB and WLB, depth for ST
An entire starting caliber secondary

There's too many holes to think this is a playoff team and this draft isn't the one to replace most of them with. It's weak as hell and there really isn't too many sure fire things in the draft. No DT's, No OL, No CB's or LB worth a 14 pick that are expected to be there. You simply have dream scenario's of some one falling that's a top prospect or take a chance on a safety or WR really at 14.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.