#121 Leeroy Jenkins PhD

Leeroy Jenkins PhD

HCIC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:06 AM

Again, Hixon has no impact and influence in what we do in the first round.

I mean seriously?

How can you even think that bringing in two FA WRs doesn't slightly affect our draft? I am pretty sure numerous factors go into our picks. Even though we want to draft BPA, this does not happen. If BPA in the first is a QB, were probably not going to draft him, due to the fact that we have 2 and a half already on the roster. Drafting purely BPA, you could end up drafting 7 Centers. The talent, roster room, cap space, etc all has an effect on our draft. It is ignorant to say that any changes to our roster does not affect the draft. I assume who we take is a fluid decision with multiple variables.

#122 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,275 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

How can you even think that bringing in two FA WRs doesn't slightly affect our draft? I am pretty sure numerous factors go into our picks. Even though we want to draft BPA, this does not happen. If BPA in the first is a QB, were probably not going to draft him, due to the fact that we have 2 and a half already on the roster. Drafting purely BPA, you could end up drafting 7 Centers. The talent, roster room, cap space, etc all has an effect on our draft. It is ignorant to say that any changes to our roster does not affect the draft. I assume who we take is a fluid decision with multiple variables.

How can you think bringing in the likes of Ted Gin and Hixon somehow means we shouldn't look to draft a WR early anymore?

Again, seriously?

Neither are anything more than depth. We still need to replace Smitty and upgrade our # 2.

I never blindedly said your roster and moves don't impact draft decisions....I said bringing in 2 middle of the road guys at WR both a half decade into there careers doesn't change our need to look at WR early in the draft.

It might impact it LATE in the draft but again makes zero impact with our top picks

#123 Leeroy Jenkins PhD

Leeroy Jenkins PhD

HCIC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:17 AM

How can you think bringing in the likes of Ted Gin and Hixon somehow means we shouldn't look to draft a WR early anymore?

Again, seriously?

Neither are anything more than depth. We still need to replace Smitty and upgrade our # 2.

I never blindedly said your roster and moves don't impact draft decisions....I said bringing in 2 middle of the road guys at WR both a half decade into there careers doesn't change our need to look at WR early in the draft.

It might impact it LATE in the draft but again makes zero impact with our top picks

I am simply saying it does have an effect on our draft choices. Whether this is right/wrong good/bad productive/inhibitive is not the point. It makes us less likely to draft a WR in the first. Much less likely. Where before, WR was such a pressing need taking a WR early was almost unavoidable, now we can see how the draft
unfolds

#124 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,275 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

I am simply saying it does have an effect on our draft choices. Whether this is right/wrong good/bad productive/inhibitive is not the point. It makes us less likely to draft a WR in the first. Much less likely. Where before, WR was such a pressing need taking a WR early was almost unavoidable, now we can see how the draft
unfolds

Again, drafting a WR early has nothing to do with Ginn and Hixon. They don't alter that view.

They may alter drafting one late.

WR is still a pressing need. Smith is getting old and our current #2 could be upgraded. All we are doing is tinkering with the 3rd, 4th and 5th spots

#125 Leeroy Jenkins PhD

Leeroy Jenkins PhD

HCIC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:29 AM

Again, drafting a WR early has nothing to do with Ginn and Hixon. They don't alter that view.

They may alter drafting one late.

WR is still a pressing need. Smith is getting old and our current #2 could be upgraded. All we are doing is tinkering with the 3rd, 4th and 5th spots

Agree to disagree? This team has other, more pressing needs. Like G, T, DT, CB, S, TE

#126 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,275 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:31 AM

Agree to disagree? This team has other, more pressing needs. Like G, T, DT, CB, S, TE

Hey, this teams has tons of needs...no argument there.

But we are playing with fire at WR. Smith is on borrowed time. You think odds are high he puts in a 3rd consecutive 16 game season at his age? With his style?

Gettlemen comes from an organization that stresses loading up a DE and WR early in the draft as well

#127 Leeroy Jenkins PhD

Leeroy Jenkins PhD

HCIC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

We have a 32, soon to be 33 year old left tackle and Byron Bell starting at right tackle..... Our 31 year old RG was NEVER meant to be a starter. We have a 31 year old DT and behind him? NO ONE. Fua? Cole? Kearse?

At WR we have a plethora of talent, most of it young and developing. Lafell, Joe Adams, Ted Ginn, D Hixon, ghettis? Pilares? Edwards? Bryant? And we have strength at RB, FB, TE that can contribute in the pass game.

In a perfect world, we could use a big time WR. When working with 5 draft picks and limited FA, you bring in Ginn and Hixon and draft to fill other more pressing needs

#128 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,199 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

unfolds

it took off some of the immediate pressure, but the pressure and dilemma is still there. we are still weak at WR for the long term. neither hixon or ginn are long term solutions. i mean they could be, but they signed one year deals.

the reality is that they have no solution for football without smitty. they aren't happy with the crop of WRs we have. if they see a guy who they (with their much superior eye than any pissy "expert" in the huddle) see as being a guy who can make a significant long term impact in the passing game....which is very likely...they will probably take him and bringing hixon or ginn in or having potential "studs" like gettis or pilares or that bryant guy isn't going to dissuade the team from picking him up.

they obviously have several areas they have keyed in on and the work that gettleman has done to shore up things on the roster has been to elevate the bottom of it, not address the top. they are still looking at mainly WRs, DTs, and DBs and the pick is going to be one of them.

perceived need or not, FAs acquired or not, they are going to draft one of the guys early that they are meeting with and they are going to likely focus most of the draft on those areas. we aren't more or less likely to address any of those because of what we've done prior to the draft.

#129 BelgianPantherFan

BelgianPantherFan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

Optimumscouting's view on possible draft trades:
http://www.optimumsc...-draft-day.html

Many say Gettleman must try to trade down, and pick DT late first round.
Seems like Rams and Vikings are possible trade partners.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com