#1 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,662 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

http://www.cbsnews.c...eating-scandal/

(CBS News) Thirty-five Atlanta educators are expected to surrender Tuesday after being indicted in the biggest alleged cheating scandal involving standardized testing in American history. The list of suspects includes everyone from the former superintendent to principals and teachers.

All 35 of those educators have until noon on Tuesday to turn themselves in for booking. At least two of them have already showed up for processing.

Investigators say Atlanta's school district orchestrated a culture of cheating to benefit those at the top.

Nearly 200 educators admitted to taking part in the massive scandal: they tampered with students' standardized tests and corrected answers to inflate scores. Some teachers had pizza parties to erase wrong answers and circle in the right ones. One principal allegedly handled altered tests wearing gloves to avoid leaving her fingerprints.

At one middle school, 86 percent of eighth-graders scored proficient in math, compared to 24 percent the year before. Prosecutors say that progress was a criminal mirage.

"The four principle crimes that are charged in the indictment are the statements and writings, false swearings, theft by taking, and influencing witnesses," Fulton County District Attorney Paul L. Howard, Jr. said.

Beverly Hall is Atlanta's retired school superintendent. Her system's turnaround won her national fame, awards, and more than $500,000 in performance bonuses. But investigators say she pressured teachers and principals to cheat, and punished those who refused. Hall, among those indicted, has denied the charges. A grand jury recommended her bail be set at $7.5 million.

Promoting ignorance...

#2 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • 3,904 posts
  • LocationRound about here

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

*sigh* How do we reach those keeeeeeeds?
Posted Image

#3 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 6,175 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

*sigh* How do we reach those keeeeeeeds?
Posted Image

And by keeeds I mean my half mil bonus!! The Answer is C!!!!

#4 Doyle

Doyle

Headed to the county line

• HUDDLER
  • 6,205 posts
  • LocationRichardson's toilet

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

I died laughing when I heard about this. Why didn't they just let the kids grade themselves. 24% to 84% and they gave her awards? Might want to look in to that a little first.

#5 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,662 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

I died laughing when I heard about this. Why didn't they just let the kids grade themselves. 24% to 84% and they gave her awards? Might want to look in to that a little first.

Lax reporting...lax oversight.

Amazing what can happen when you don't want to look for something that's "bad".

#6 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

And this is why you dont let test scores alter school funding

#7 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,688 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

You can blame no child left behind legislation for this.

#8 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,662 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

No...you can blame POS teachers and administrators directly for this.

If we didn't test, cases of kids being promoted without being properly educated would go unchecked even worse.

#9 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,561 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

Yeah before we had standardized testing we had the most poorly educated kids in the world, now we are great again

#10 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,421 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:18 PM

Who needs metrics in education?

#11 dos poptarts

dos poptarts

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:25 PM

I'll fall back to my favorite Freakanomics expression: People will cheat if there is personal incentive to do so.
The teachers cheated because they could gain from it. They didn't cheat for the student's benefit.

If it were a few individual teachers, I would just hammer them with a performance review and fine them if they received bonuses. But the Principles, Superintendant and her Aides should be fired, fined, and charged with fraud.

#12 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,190 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

Yeah before we had standardized testing we had the most poorly educated kids in the world, now we are great again

If not by standardized testing, how do you propose that we evaluate the effectiveness of teachers or the curriculum?

Oh I forgot...no need for education...we will just let the gov't entitlement programs support those who are left behind.

#13 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,688 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

Eliminate the federal department of education. Problem solved.

#14 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,876 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

I'll fall back to my favorite Freakanomics expression: People will cheat if there is personal incentive to do so.
The teachers cheated because they could gain from it. They didn't cheat for the student's benefit.

If it were a few individual teachers, I would just hammer them with a performance review and fine them if they received bonuses. But the Principles, Superintendant and her Aides should be fired, fined, and charged with fraud.

I agree with the first paragraph. But as to the second, there are plenty of zero tolerance rules out there for kids. This amounts to fraud as far as I am concerned and I would be firing most anyone involved.

#15 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,876 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

Eliminate the federal department of education. Problem solved.

Would you privatize education?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com