Educators in Atlanta surrendering due to massive cheating scandal

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#11 dos poptarts

dos poptarts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:25 PM

I'll fall back to my favorite Freakanomics expression: People will cheat if there is personal incentive to do so.
The teachers cheated because they could gain from it. They didn't cheat for the student's benefit.

If it were a few individual teachers, I would just hammer them with a performance review and fine them if they received bonuses. But the Principles, Superintendant and her Aides should be fired, fined, and charged with fraud.

#12 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon
HUDDLER

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

Yeah before we had standardized testing we had the most poorly educated kids in the world, now we are great again

If not by standardized testing, how do you propose that we evaluate the effectiveness of teachers or the curriculum?

Oh I forgot...no need for education...we will just let the gov't entitlement programs support those who are left behind.

#13 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• LocationShallotte, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

Eliminate the federal department of education. Problem solved.

#14 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

SUPPORTER

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

I'll fall back to my favorite Freakanomics expression: People will cheat if there is personal incentive to do so.
The teachers cheated because they could gain from it. They didn't cheat for the student's benefit.

If it were a few individual teachers, I would just hammer them with a performance review and fine them if they received bonuses. But the Principles, Superintendant and her Aides should be fired, fined, and charged with fraud.

I agree with the first paragraph. But as to the second, there are plenty of zero tolerance rules out there for kids. This amounts to fraud as far as I am concerned and I would be firing most anyone involved.

#15 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

SUPPORTER

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

Eliminate the federal department of education. Problem solved.

Would you privatize education?

#16 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• LocationShallotte, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:44 PM

Would you privatize education?

Yeah, and allow for parents to apply for subsidized funding if they couldn't afford it - Much like daycare is handled.

#17 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

SUPPORTER

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:27 PM

If not by standardized testing, how do you propose that we evaluate the effectiveness of teachers or the curriculum?

Oh I forgot...no need for education...we will just let the gov't entitlement programs support those who are left behind.

Haha MadHatter is on record thinking that we need to have elected officials in charge of determining effectiveness of educators

We managed to build the greatest education system in the world without this crap. I'd much rather have my kids learn in school instead of studying for a standardized test. I'd rather trust teachers and dedicated school administrators than a government panel. I'd rather spend our tax dollars training, retaining and rewarding good teachers instead of building more F-35s than we need.

But sure Mad. no standardized testing must mean we have no need for education, keep rollin with your unique perspective.

#18 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

HUDDLER

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

I heard that bail set for one of those accused of cheating was around 5 million. Maybe its just me, but that seems a bit excessive. :)

#19 Delhommey

Delhommey

Moderators

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

Yeah, and allow for parents to apply for subsidized funding if they couldn't afford it - Much like daycare is handled.

Because that's one thing you'll NEVER find in private enterprise- fixing the numbers to get a bigger bonus.

#20 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• LocationShallotte, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

Because that's one thing you'll NEVER find in private enterprise- fixing the numbers to get a bigger bonus.

Huh? I think you're missing my point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users