#46 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,990 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

i tossed out a proposal i came up with a few years ago that i would like to do with my wife the educator. she tutors/mentors at risk kids and does in home visits to make sure they finish school. they might be at home due to excessive abscences or fighting but mainly its teen moms.

some parents are on the ball she runs into but mostly they are out too lunch.

this is the disconnect that needs to be closed. find a way, some how, to bring the parents of those kids struggling and the teachers and go look. Johnny is doing bad in these areas and here are some things he can do to catch him up and at least help him pass.
then connect with the parent or guardian to see what is going on in their life. can they help? are they working to much to pay bills and survive? do they care? did they themselves graduate or where are they at?
in some cases, the parent/guardian may even need some tutoring or mentoring. it could be a host of things. but just throwing money on top of the problem isn't going to fix it. you have to compartmentalize the issues and fix them systematically.

sadly, some coummunities don't say much until its too late and a school is about to be shut down and then start going to school board meetings and screaming at the board that they don't care about kids or the future. umm. no. YOU don't care about the kids or their future by letting things fall down year after year.

the other thing i have proposed is the # of tenured or great teachers per low performing schools. usually, because the school is doing bad or has discipline issues etc, a new teacher may bolt after year 1 or 2. some may stick around for a few years but more often than not, the low perf school has too many new teachers who are just learning things and the balance of seasoned teachers is not there.

i think if you can stablize the quality of teachers at a tough school, while getting the hard data on the parents of those that are significantly under performing, you can fix some holes that nobody is willing to address.

#47 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

why are school boards and council people so afraid to focus on the at home break down of education?

Maybe its like all things in this gov today. Use gun laws for example. If we do not enforce the laws and bad things happen, they say the system failed and we need new gun laws. Instead of enforcing whats already on the books. Now parenting is obviously a big issue in a childs education. But the gov refuses to recognize that because its parents and not the system that is broken. But if the systems broken we can just come up with new programs, systems,ect. Like c-scope and common core. which all but remove the parents role in the childs education. creates more bureacracy, and calls for higher gov revenues to pay for the over-haul.

#48 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

Who is suggesting we give up on those struggling?

No one. But they get WAY too much of the attention.

Why are standardized test scores reported by % of students at grade level? That criteria focuses only on the kids at the bottom of the class and tells you absolutely nothing about how well that school is educating the average and above average students. You know, the students who are actually going to do something important with their lives (hard truth time)

#49 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:53 AM

Low performing schools gain nothing from encouraging smart kids to test themselves and learn things above and beyond the curriculum. This disproportionally hurts smart kids at poor schools who dont have the extra resources (and demanding parents) that wealthier schools with many high preforming students have. These are the kids we should care about because they are the ones who have a chance to really make a difference and do something, and they are the ones who get the least attention. Its a shame

#50 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

/waits for inevitable "Why doesn't the government run like I run my HVAC company" diatribe.

#51 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,990 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

yes del. thats a good tried and true talking point.

let the govt run like a govt, a household like a household, but the govt wants the household to pay them and rarely question them, then turn around and want that household to vote for them.

lets be ok with deficits in govt, but nowhere else is it allowed. lets have redundancy in govt but not at schools or other local entites that get that household money that HAS to avoid deficits so it can give those champions of fiscal responsibility the govt so THEY can burn that money.

see how easy it is to burn up cash when you didn't earn it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com