Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Someone please explain the Tavon Austin hype.

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Monday Night Shyamalan

Monday Night Shyamalan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationHollyweird, CA

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

I'm not a big proponent of the combine or pro-days in the first place, I don't think combine variables necessarily translate onto the field, and are looked at too seriously.

Is Tavon an explosive athlete? Of course, but so was this guy we just signed to a 1-year deal who was drafted #9 overall in 2007 (and outside of ST, we can all agree he was a bust for where he was drafted). Both seem to be similar type players coming out of college.

I would rather have the Allen's, Patterson's, Hunter's, Hopkin's, Wood's. #14 is too high to draft a gimmick player who I feel was more so a product of WVU system.

People on here would give their left nut to draft him in the 1st, someone please convenience me why he would be worth it...

#2 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,662 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:29 PM

Yeah, this thread was definitely necessary. You couldn't have just jumped into the conversation in one of the various 30 page long threads on this very subject.

#3 JonathanGerald2022

JonathanGerald2022

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

I'm not a big proponent of the combine or pro-days in the first place, I don't think combine variables necessarily translate onto the field, and are looked at too seriously.

Is Tavon an explosive athlete? Of course, but so was this guy we just signed to a 1-year deal who was drafted #9 overall in 2007 (and outside of ST, we can all agree he was a bust for where he was drafted). Both seem to be similar type players coming out of college.

I would rather have the Allen's, Patterson's, Hunter's, Hopkin's, Wood's. #14 is too high to draft a gimmick player who I feel was more so a product of WVU system.

People on here would give their left nut to draft him in the 1st, someone please convenience me why he would be worth it...

this is stupid

#4 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,895 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:31 PM

It happens each year on the Huddle.

Every February, "a star is born". It is no longer a team sport once the combine occurs

#5 Dex

Dex

Knight of Sunlight

• HUDDLER
  • 6,688 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:44 PM

Everyone wants the new Smitty. We as a fanbase have a hard on for undersized recievers.

#6 Monday Night Shyamalan

Monday Night Shyamalan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationHollyweird, CA

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:57 PM

Yeah, this thread was definitely necessary. You couldn't have just jumped into the conversation in one of the various 30 page long threads on this very subject.

Meh ... clicking over 30 pages takes too long. Plus I want the sarcastic posters with more than 10,000 posts to enlighten me ... I mean you have to be an NLF expert / insider with that many posts right??

#7 nickzz

nickzz

o

• HUDDLER
  • 2,884 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

i've never seen anyone as quick/electric as austin. ginn and ss89 included.

i'm not saying he should be the pick at 14, but if he's there you have to consider it. unique talent.

#8 Monday Night Shyamalan

Monday Night Shyamalan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationHollyweird, CA

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

Everyone wants the new Smitty. We as a fanbase have a hard on for undersized recievers.

Agreed, which is why I don't understand the hype / need.

I may be alone on this, but I'm still holding out hope for Joe Adams (not that he is Austin, but could serve a similar purpose). Plus the addition of Ginn, makes the Tavon Austin train seem unwarranted.

#9 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:11 PM

Its the just the thought of him being such a small target bothers me the most. Cam doesnt need anymore small targets, he needs a bigger one to make his job easier.

#10 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:14 PM

It happens each year on the Huddle.

Every February, "a star is born". It is no longer a team sport once the combine occurs

Which is why I started my thread in Jan.

#11 rscott94

rscott94

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:24 PM

Honestly.... You want to know where the hype comes from

#12 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 6,071 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

Hi.

#13 PantherMan89

PantherMan89

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:40 PM

Don't really get the ginn comparison. He was primarily a deep threat in college. They are both fast and are good return men so I guess I can see that party of a comparison but that's really about it.

#14 ZackAttack23

ZackAttack23

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:43 PM

If Panthers drafted Austin, which I would love and thinks makes sense, believe that Madden users will choose the Panthers a lot. With Cam and Austin in same offense..... omg!

#15 Jakob

Jakob

never conquered rarely came

• Stop Making Threads...
  • 4,024 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:48 PM

Ugh... he dat deal?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com