Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Someone please explain the Tavon Austin hype.

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

Superior Member

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:00 PM

Everyone said the same thing about AE (including me) and Joe Adams. OVERRATED!!!!!!!

#32 PantherMan89

PantherMan89

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:07 PM

He ran a fast 40.

Now if only we can teach him football

#33 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,583 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:30 AM

Everyone said the same thing about AE (including me) and Joe Adams. OVERRATED!!!!!!!

AE was neither a WR ,RB or special teams player.How can you say that without comparing the stats of what he accomplished. He was much more accomplished than Joe Adams.

#34 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,583 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:35 AM

Now if only we can teach him football

I watched several games and he looked like we can bypass the step of teaching him how to play football.I wish people that do not like him would just leave at that and quit making comments like the one above

#35 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,781 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

neither guy was nearly as polished and talented as a receiver. that's why he'll be taken much earlier. that's why he'll be more productive.

just because he's small, fast, and can return the ball doesn't make him overrated. thinking that way is pretty narrow-minded.

#36 PantherMan89

PantherMan89

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

I watched several games and he looked like we can bypass the step of teaching him how to play football.I wish people that do not like him would just leave at that and quit making comments like the one above

I am pretty sure you are missing my sarcasm in my post. I am definitely on the tavon bandwagon and hope we draft him. Ken was implying his hype was just because he ran fast like many others on here have suggested. As a wvu fan I know how good of a football player he is and do not need any convincing.

#37 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

Superior Member

• HUDDLER
  • 3,195 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:20 PM

neither guy was nearly as polished and talented as a receiver. that's why he'll be taken much earlier. that's why he'll be more productive.

just because he's small, fast, and can return the ball doesn't make him overrated. thinking that way is pretty narrow-minded.

Narrow minded? Why cause I think he is overrated. He is coming from a wide open offense. He won't be playing against subpar players in the NFL. I watched the highlights of the Oklahoma game and saw piss poor tackling and a player that is going to get light up like a Christmas tree when comes in the big boys league.

I remember everyone ranting and raving how AE speed and open field ability was going to put us over the top. Last year I heard the same damn thing about how Joe Adams was the steal of the draft and he was going to tear this league up once he gets into the open field. Now for the 3rd time in 4 years I am hearing the same damn thing about 175lb speedster out of College with a wide open offense.

At 175lbs he is going to get pushed and bumped all over the field and never get into his route.

The only narrow mind is the fact everyone thinks he is going to be a game changer. His college stats and highlights are great but he is going to struggle in the NFL. HE IS NOT NFL READY!!!!!

He might one day be a game changer but it won't be in 2013 or 2014 and probably not until 2015 before he even sniffs 1000 yds. We don't need to waste a No. 1 pick on a 2 or 3 year project.

#38 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • 12,326 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:50 AM

Prospect. lol

#39 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:30 AM

I think Ace Sanders can bring the same dynamic, but you can draft him later.

#40 Jbo

Jbo

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

We don't need to waste a No. 1 pick on a 2 or 3 year project.

I don't have a dog in this Tavon Austin argument but I had to point out that what you said was EXACTLY what they were ALL saying in 2011 before we drafted Cam... When you draft safe, you get safe. When you draft flashy, you can potentially, get flashy.

Percy Harvin was drafted four WR's after Darius Heyward-Bay in 2009, good thing Oakland played it safe... turned out great for them.

#41 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 5,856 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:55 PM

I think Ace Sanders can bring the same dynamic, but you can draft him later.

I love Ace Sanders and think he is better than Joe Adams or AE..but it is not close to Tavon of he would have been featured quite a bit more at SC.

Also the combine is used to confirm film speed...Tavon plaed fast and timed fast(confirmed blaze)

Ace played fast and looked to be in the 4.4 speed but really ran Joe Adamsish speeds 5.59 4.6ish ..the big difference is Ace can accelerate as he cuts while Joe Adamns slows down as he cuts.

Ace has more forward explosion and has a cooler name.

#42 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• HUDDLER
  • 6,066 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

I think Tavon will be a very good weapon for some team, but I just don't see the fit for us. We have our return guy in Ginn. We have ATM 3 very good running backs. What I think we are missing is a big tall future #1 WR which obviously Austin is not.

For those that want to draft him, how do you see him fitting into our scheme and how would we use him? And what player would you say he most resembles? A Percy Harvin or Desean Jackson or someone else?

#43 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:55 PM

I love Ace Sanders and think he is better than Joe Adams or AE..but it is not close to Tavon of he would have been featured quite a bit more at SC.

Also the combine is used to confirm film speed...Tavon plaed fast and timed fast(confirmed blaze)

Ace played fast and looked to be in the 4.4 speed but really ran Joe Adamsish speeds 5.59 4.6ish ..the big difference is Ace can accelerate as he cuts while Joe Adamns slows down as he cuts.

Ace has more forward explosion and has a cooler name.

I agree that Tavon is amazingly explosive, more so then Ace. But you could argue that Ace's returns actually were a bit more impressive considering he displayed a good bit of power and played in the SEC.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQBIZprUxHc

#44 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

Superior Member

• HUDDLER
  • 3,195 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

I don't have a dog in this Tavon Austin argument but I had to point out that what you said was EXACTLY what they were ALL saying in 2011 before we drafted Cam... When you draft safe, you get safe. When you draft flashy, you can potentially, get flashy.

Percy Harvin was drafted four WR's after Darius Heyward-Bay in 2009, good thing Oakland played it safe... turned out great for them.

You are comparing T. Austin to Cam Newton? Seriously? So if Cam was coming out this year and was available at our spot you would consider Austin over Cam? I hope not.

Michael Crabtree went after Heyward-Bey too. It took him 4 seasons before he became a vaild WR in this league. You want to waste a #1 pick on a WR that might take 3 or 4 years to be something. He is fast, he is quick, he is dangerous in the open field. Said the same Poo about AE and J. Adams. Why not allow Joe Adams to develop and select a position of greater need. Or is Joe Adams a wasted pick?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.