• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,231 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:08 AM

There's just too much to ignore now...is this your party Repubs? Please answer for these instead of deflecting as usual.

A bill filed by Republican lawmakers would allow the state to declare an official religion, in violation of the Establishment Clause of the US Bill of Rights, and seeks to nullify any federal ruling against Christian prayer by public bodies in North Carolina.

http://www.wral.com/proposal-would-allow-state-religion-in-north-carolina/12296876/

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED
AN ACT TO PROVIDE THAT IF A CHILD REGISTERS TO VOTE AT AN ADDRESS
OTHER THAN THAT OF A PARENT, THAT PARENT MAY NOT CLAIM A PERSONAL EXEMPTION ON ACCOUNT OF SUCH CHILD, AND TO INFORM NEW VOTERS OF THEIR CIVIC AND TAX DUTIES.

http://www.ncleg.net...m=2726&SeqNum=0

Next thing you know McCrappy will put a pro bullying person in charge of education...

http://projects.news...ard_appointment

#2 Nicks To The Colts

Nicks To The Colts

shitpost around the clock

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,329 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:20 AM

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED
AN ACT TO PROVIDE THAT IF A CHILD REGISTERS TO VOTE AT AN ADDRESS
OTHER THAN THAT OF A PARENT, THAT PARENT MAY NOT CLAIM A PERSONAL EXEMPTION ON ACCOUNT OF SUCH CHILD, AND TO INFORM NEW VOTERS OF THEIR CIVIC AND TAX DUTIES.

i'm sure that this is intended to prevent fraud or something.

it's just a coincidence that it would force a parent to choose between letting their college aged child vote and having to give up a crucial exemption that they've been taking for granted for decades.

#3 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,586 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

Was going to post the link to that religion bill...

Are some of these guys just retarded?

#4 SZ James

SZ James

1 888 CAM PAIN

• HUDDLER
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:43 AM

I don't know what this thread is about so BOTH SIDES!!!!!

#5 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,328 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

I'm officially disenfranchised...

#6 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,380 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

I remember having a talk with someone in 2009 about how NC was really not at all dominated by extreme ideological conservatives like it seemed most of the south was.

Do you guys who live in NC actually think that there will be a pushback against all this stuff?

#7 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,485 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

I remember having a talk with someone in 2009 about how NC was really not at all dominated by extreme ideological conservatives like it seemed most of the south was.

Do you guys who live in NC actually think that there will be a pushback against all this stuff?

I hope so. The problem with state level politics is that the majority of the public isn't aware/doesn't follow it at all. It really takes a huge effort to marshal public opinion against state legislation, which is why local election results are so important, and yet conversely overlooked.

#8 Nicks To The Colts

Nicks To The Colts

• HUDDLER
  • 9,329 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

anybody want to argue that nc republicans aren't cowards who are trying to silence inconvenient voter blocs now:

"If the voter is a dependent of the voter's parent or legal guardian, is 18 years of age or older and the voter has registered at an address other than that of the parent or legal guardian, the parent or legal guardian will not be allowed to claim the voter as a dependent for state income tax purposes," the bill says.

The bill would also require voters to have their vehicles registered at the same address as their voter registration. That also could cut down on college student registration, since many students maintain their vehicle registration in their home counties.

http://www.wral.com/...-vote/12298695/

#9 Nicks To The Colts

Nicks To The Colts

• HUDDLER
  • 9,329 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

i mean you always do hear tea party types hollering about how the government should be afraid of the people.

well, mission accomplished. the controlling party of our state legislature is so terrified of its own citizens that it wants to push what essentially amounts to a tax penalty on parents if their children dare to register to vote where they actually live.

#10 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,237 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

Geez what a goofy idea.

#11 Nicks To The Colts

Nicks To The Colts

• HUDDLER
  • 9,329 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

talk about shooting for the stars here

"The Constitution of the United States does not grant the federal government and does not grant the federal courts the power to determine what is or is not constitutional; therefore, by virtue of the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, the power to determine constitutionality and the proper interpretation and proper application of the Constitution is reserved to the states and to the people," the bill states.

"Each state in the union is sovereign and may independently determine how that state may make laws respecting an establishment of religion," it states.

The bill goes on to say:
SECTION 1. The North Carolina General Assembly asserts that the Constitution of the United States of America does not prohibit states or their subsidiaries from making laws respecting an establishment of religion.
SECTION 2. The North Carolina General Assembly does not recognize federal court rulings which prohibit and otherwise regulate the State of North Carolina, its public schools or any political subdivisions of the State from making laws respecting an establishment of religion.

tldr "the US constitution doesn't apply to the states"

#12 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,530 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

I keep hearing about obscure bills being filed but nothing crazy being passed yet. This is a symptom of something... Can you guess what it is?

#13 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,138 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

I keep hearing about obscure bills being filed but nothing crazy being passed yet. This is a symptom of something... Can you guess what it is?

Sky is falling?

#14 Nicks To The Colts

Nicks To The Colts

• HUDDLER
  • 9,329 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

so obscure that the majority leader is a sponsor

#15 Nicks To The Colts

Nicks To The Colts

• HUDDLER
  • 9,329 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

Sky is falling?

and the huddle's biggest fan of voter disenfranchisement finally puts in an appearance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.