Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NC Republican/General Assembly Idiocy

46 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Jase' timestamp='1365007193' post='2184630']
I keep hearing about obscure bills being filed but nothing crazy being passed yet. This is a symptom of something... Can you guess what it is?
[/quote]

Sky is falling?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Jase' timestamp='1365007193' post='2184630']
I keep hearing about obscure bills being filed but nothing crazy being passed yet. This is a symptom of something... Can you guess what it is?
[/quote]

so obscure that the majority leader is a sponsor

Posted · Report post

[quote name='g5jamz' timestamp='1365007415' post='2184639']
Sky is falling?
[/quote]

and the huddle's biggest fan of voter disenfranchisement finally puts in an appearance

Posted · Report post

I've made this statement many times. I want every legal voter to vote. Period. You can pin ignorance, lack of care, etc to the reasons you want on any persons that take issue with it, but there's no poll taxing, no literacy testing, no bill that has been put to paper that resembles anything you all are saying is going on and preventing legal voters from voting. States have the right to determine their means of voting. Name one provision that doesn't pass constitutional muster or the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

But continue on...don't let this take the thread down a different path.

Posted · Report post

so am I understanding this right that college aged people and their parents would have to decide between the right to vote and being considered dependents for tax purposes? That seems like a huge effort to disenfranchise young people. It might be technically legal (though I'm not sure on that) but that doesn't mean it should be done.

Posted · Report post

Wasn't it ruled that the 14th admendment enforces the Bill of Rights at the State level?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='g5jamz' timestamp='1365007911' post='2184660']
I've made this statement many times. I want every legal voter to vote. Period. You can pin ignorance, lack of care, etc to the reasons you want on any persons that take issue with it, but there's no poll taxing, no literacy testing, no bill that has been put to paper that resembles anything you all are saying is going on and preventing legal voters from voting. States have the right to determine their means of voting. Name one provision that doesn't pass constitutional muster or the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

But continue on...don't let this take the thread down a different path.
[/quote]

it fails the undue burden standard outright, for one. forcing parents to accept what is a de facto tax penalty based on where their adult children register to vote is a glaring problem.

i refuse to believe for a second that you don't understand that this is intended to make voting as annoying as possible for demographics who threaten republicans. there's absolutely no use for it otherwise no matter how obtuse you want to be about it.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='mav1234' timestamp='1365008177' post='2184672']
so am I understanding this right that college aged people and their parents would have to decide between the right to vote and being considered dependents for tax purposes? That seems like a huge effort to disenfranchise young people. It might be technically legal (though I'm not sure on that) but that doesn't mean it should be done.
[/quote]

g5 is going to argue from the standpoint of pure legality because he knows he doesn't have a leg to stand on when it comes to anything regarding the implications stemming from the application of such a law. he "doesn't see the harm" in any kind of voter suppression effort.

Posted · Report post

If the govt had some empirical evidence where x# of voting fraud happened I kinda sorta could see the idea behind this but I'm with ireg on this. It totally appears to be making voting a big time hassle.
This is where if I was consulting Rep candidates I would say just blow others away with your track record and taking care of big issues so you won't sweat worrying getting votes.

The Reps are the guy who finally got the pretty girl to go out with him and he takes her to a place he wants to eat at and talks only about himself. Then is baffled when she doesn't answer the phone for a second date.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='I Registered To Post This' timestamp='1365007488' post='2184642']

so obscure that the majority leader is a sponsor
[/quote]

fine, in this case I rescind the obscure part.

But in the next 12 threads, I won't be so kind!

Posted · Report post

I bet it won't pass, however I hate the religion thing.

Both seem pretty stupid to me however.

Then again, I am not really a Republican either.

Posted · Report post

They can't claim them as dependents and can't carry them on their insurance under Obamacare? WTF is this?