Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NC Republican/General Assembly Idiocy

46 posts in this topic

Posted

even if the entire mechanism of tying dependent status of an adult child to place of voter registration was found to be legal (it's within the realm of possibility as various voter registration laws have passed the undue burden test in the past) it still doesn't mean that the aim of this bill isn't to keep certain people from voting (or make it a massive pain in the ass) which was my entire point.

Posted

even if the entire mechanism of tying dependent status of an adult child to place of voter registration was found to be legal (it's within the realm of possibility as various voter registration laws have passed the undue burden test in the past) it still doesn't mean that the aim of this bill isn't to keep certain people from voting (or make it a massive pain in the ass) which was my entire point.

Adult child? gimme a break! Cheating the system is inexcusible on any level. And thats why this country is half as screwed up as it is. You are suggesting that someone who lives in one district should be able to pretend he lives at mommies house, so he can avoid registries in the county in which he lives. And be able to vote on behalf of a district in which he does not live? And mommie is supposed to claim him on her taxes. And this arguement is supposed to make me embarrassed that I have voted for reps in the past? I mean its not like anyone says he can't vote. Just that you do it honestly. And not cheating the irs while you are at it. Adult child?

Posted

Adult child? gimme a break! Cheating the system is inexcusible on any level. And thats why this country is half as screwed up as it is. You are suggesting that someone who lives in one district should be able to pretend he lives at mommies house, so he can avoid registries in the county in which he lives. And be able to vote on behalf of a district in which he does not live? And mommie is supposed to claim him on her taxes. And this arguement is supposed to make me embarrassed that I have voted for reps in the past? I mean its not like anyone says he can't vote. Just that you do it honestly. And not cheating the irs while you are at it. Adult child?

Are you arguing that a college student who lives off his parents dime while attending school away from home is not a financial dependent?

Because that's what this is attempting to do. You either let your child, who attends college away from home, register to vote and thus forfeit your right to claim them as a dependent, or your child forfeits their right to vote so that you can continue to afford to send them to college.

Posted

Are you arguing that a college student who lives off his parents dime while attending school away from home is not a financial dependent?

Because that's what this is attempting to do. You either let your child, who attends college away from home, register to vote and thus forfeit your right to claim them as a dependent, or your child forfeits their right to vote so that you can continue to afford to send them to college.

lots of kids go to college on thier own. It is my expierence that if you are living off your parents dime at 18, and going to school..., you got dough. In reality it is unfair to the kids who have to make thier own way. The ones that don't have mommie's dime to live off of. These kids make it. So why can't the rich kids do it? Funny you guys are mad that reps are fighting for the poor. Evening it up so the rich pay thier fair share.

Posted

Funny you guys are mad that reps are fighting for the poor..

You think that this legislation is a Republican attempt to fight for the poor? fuging LOL.

"Forcing everyone to become saddled with a lifetime of student loan dept in order to maintain equal voting rights, is totally a righteous fight for the poor!!1 Can't you guys see it?!?!?"

The rest of your post is just too much dumbassery to bother dignifying with a serious response.

Posted

lots of kids go to college on thier own. It is my expierence that if you are living off your parents dime at 18, and going to school..., you got dough. In reality it is unfair to the kids who have to make thier own way. The ones that don't have mommie's dime to live off of. These kids make it. So why can't the rich kids do it? Funny you guys are mad that reps are fighting for the poor. Evening it up so the rich pay thier fair share.

so is your argument that the "unit" of voting is not an adult, but a tax return?

I like your thinking. Why bother letting two married people vote if they file jointly? If they're a union, make a decision like one!

Posted

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED

AN ACT TO PROVIDE THAT IF A CHILD REGISTERS TO VOTE AT AN ADDRESS

OTHER THAN THAT OF A PARENT, THAT PARENT MAY NOT CLAIM A PERSONAL EXEMPTION ON ACCOUNT OF SUCH CHILD, AND TO INFORM NEW VOTERS OF THEIR CIVIC AND TAX DUTIES.

If the child simply doesn't not register to vote at the school address and maintains it at home...there's no problem IF the exemption is what is desired. If the kid/adult is on their own...they change their address to the new one....they register to vote at the new address, then why should a parent be allowed to claim them as a personal exemption. You either are or are not a depedent to your parents.

Posted

Used to be as long as you had a NC address for a solid year, you could be considered a resident to get instate tuition. Talking to relatives who's daughter is looking at Virginia, Wake Forest, Duke, NC...and they moved to Georgia...a child cannot claim instate UNTIL they not only have a year of residency but can prove self-reliance through a job and paying for the housing/etc without subsidization from the parents.

Posted

Why is it a problem if a voter is attending college, is a resident of another address, but is still dependent on a parent for support? What problem exactly is this law attempting to address?

Posted

Used to be as long as you had a NC address for a solid year, you could be considered a resident to get instate tuition. Talking to relatives who's daughter is looking at Virginia, Wake Forest, Duke, NC...and they moved to Georgia...a child cannot claim instate UNTIL they not only have a year of residency but can prove self-reliance through a job and paying for the housing/etc without subsidization from the parents.

Is your suggestion that a similar situation be adopted for elections?

Posted

Why is it a problem if a voter is attending college, is a resident of another address, but is still dependent on a parent for support? What problem exactly is this law attempting to address?

This is my question. How the hell do they come up with this poo?

Posted

If the child simply doesn't not register to vote at the school address and maintains it at home...there's no problem IF the exemption is what is desired. If the kid/adult is on their own...they change their address to the new one....they register to vote at the new address, then why should a parent be allowed to claim them as a personal exemption. You either are or are not a depedent to your parents.

So you're telling me that you're cool with thousands of students voting in local elections in areas that they don't truly reside? Or conversely restricting them from voting in local elections for the area that they do ACTUALLY reside in?