45 replies to this topic

#16 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,334 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:51 AM

I've made this statement many times. I want every legal voter to vote. Period. You can pin ignorance, lack of care, etc to the reasons you want on any persons that take issue with it, but there's no poll taxing, no literacy testing, no bill that has been put to paper that resembles anything you all are saying is going on and preventing legal voters from voting. States have the right to determine their means of voting. Name one provision that doesn't pass constitutional muster or the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

But continue on...don't let this take the thread down a different path.

#17 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,484 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

so am I understanding this right that college aged people and their parents would have to decide between the right to vote and being considered dependents for tax purposes? That seems like a huge effort to disenfranchise young people. It might be technically legal (though I'm not sure on that) but that doesn't mean it should be done.

#18 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

Wasn't it ruled that the 14th admendment enforces the Bill of Rights at the State level?

#19 Nicks To The Colts

Nicks To The Colts

shitpost around the clock

• HUDDLER
  • 9,564 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:05 PM

I've made this statement many times. I want every legal voter to vote. Period. You can pin ignorance, lack of care, etc to the reasons you want on any persons that take issue with it, but there's no poll taxing, no literacy testing, no bill that has been put to paper that resembles anything you all are saying is going on and preventing legal voters from voting. States have the right to determine their means of voting. Name one provision that doesn't pass constitutional muster or the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

But continue on...don't let this take the thread down a different path.

it fails the undue burden standard outright, for one. forcing parents to accept what is a de facto tax penalty based on where their adult children register to vote is a glaring problem.

i refuse to believe for a second that you don't understand that this is intended to make voting as annoying as possible for demographics who threaten republicans. there's absolutely no use for it otherwise no matter how obtuse you want to be about it.

#20 Nicks To The Colts

Nicks To The Colts

• HUDDLER
  • 9,564 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

so am I understanding this right that college aged people and their parents would have to decide between the right to vote and being considered dependents for tax purposes? That seems like a huge effort to disenfranchise young people. It might be technically legal (though I'm not sure on that) but that doesn't mean it should be done.

g5 is going to argue from the standpoint of pure legality because he knows he doesn't have a leg to stand on when it comes to anything regarding the implications stemming from the application of such a law. he "doesn't see the harm" in any kind of voter suppression effort.

#21 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,849 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

If the govt had some empirical evidence where x# of voting fraud happened I kinda sorta could see the idea behind this but I'm with ireg on this. It totally appears to be making voting a big time hassle.
This is where if I was consulting Rep candidates I would say just blow others away with your track record and taking care of big issues so you won't sweat worrying getting votes.

The Reps are the guy who finally got the pretty girl to go out with him and he takes her to a place he wants to eat at and talks only about himself. Then is baffled when she doesn't answer the phone for a second date.

#22 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,739 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

so obscure that the majority leader is a sponsor

fine, in this case I rescind the obscure part.

But in the next 12 threads, I won't be so kind!

#23 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,035 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

I bet it won't pass, however I hate the religion thing.

Both seem pretty stupid to me however.

Then again, I am not really a Republican either.

#24 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

They can't claim them as dependents and can't carry them on their insurance under Obamacare? WTF is this?

#25 Nicks To The Colts

Nicks To The Colts

• HUDDLER
  • 9,564 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:02 PM

even if the entire mechanism of tying dependent status of an adult child to place of voter registration was found to be legal (it's within the realm of possibility as various voter registration laws have passed the undue burden test in the past) it still doesn't mean that the aim of this bill isn't to keep certain people from voting (or make it a massive pain in the ass) which was my entire point.

#26 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

even if the entire mechanism of tying dependent status of an adult child to place of voter registration was found to be legal (it's within the realm of possibility as various voter registration laws have passed the undue burden test in the past) it still doesn't mean that the aim of this bill isn't to keep certain people from voting (or make it a massive pain in the ass) which was my entire point.

Adult child? gimme a break! Cheating the system is inexcusible on any level. And thats why this country is half as screwed up as it is. You are suggesting that someone who lives in one district should be able to pretend he lives at mommies house, so he can avoid registries in the county in which he lives. And be able to vote on behalf of a district in which he does not live? And mommie is supposed to claim him on her taxes. And this arguement is supposed to make me embarrassed that I have voted for reps in the past? I mean its not like anyone says he can't vote. Just that you do it honestly. And not cheating the irs while you are at it. Adult child?

#27 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,570 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:36 PM

Adult child? gimme a break! Cheating the system is inexcusible on any level. And thats why this country is half as screwed up as it is. You are suggesting that someone who lives in one district should be able to pretend he lives at mommies house, so he can avoid registries in the county in which he lives. And be able to vote on behalf of a district in which he does not live? And mommie is supposed to claim him on her taxes. And this arguement is supposed to make me embarrassed that I have voted for reps in the past? I mean its not like anyone says he can't vote. Just that you do it honestly. And not cheating the irs while you are at it. Adult child?

Are you arguing that a college student who lives off his parents dime while attending school away from home is not a financial dependent?

Because that's what this is attempting to do. You either let your child, who attends college away from home, register to vote and thus forfeit your right to claim them as a dependent, or your child forfeits their right to vote so that you can continue to afford to send them to college.

#28 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:02 PM

Are you arguing that a college student who lives off his parents dime while attending school away from home is not a financial dependent?

Because that's what this is attempting to do. You either let your child, who attends college away from home, register to vote and thus forfeit your right to claim them as a dependent, or your child forfeits their right to vote so that you can continue to afford to send them to college.

lots of kids go to college on thier own. It is my expierence that if you are living off your parents dime at 18, and going to school..., you got dough. In reality it is unfair to the kids who have to make thier own way. The ones that don't have mommie's dime to live off of. These kids make it. So why can't the rich kids do it? Funny you guys are mad that reps are fighting for the poor. Evening it up so the rich pay thier fair share.

#29 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,570 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

Funny you guys are mad that reps are fighting for the poor..

You think that this legislation is a Republican attempt to fight for the poor? fuging LOL.

"Forcing everyone to become saddled with a lifetime of student loan dept in order to maintain equal voting rights, is totally a righteous fight for the poor!!1 Can't you guys see it?!?!?"

The rest of your post is just too much dumbassery to bother dignifying with a serious response.

#30 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,484 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

lots of kids go to college on thier own. It is my expierence that if you are living off your parents dime at 18, and going to school..., you got dough. In reality it is unfair to the kids who have to make thier own way. The ones that don't have mommie's dime to live off of. These kids make it. So why can't the rich kids do it? Funny you guys are mad that reps are fighting for the poor. Evening it up so the rich pay thier fair share.

so is your argument that the "unit" of voting is not an adult, but a tax return?

I like your thinking. Why bother letting two married people vote if they file jointly? If they're a union, make a decision like one!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.