Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good Times?

44 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Several things

First, I think the lines now will always be blurred between sequester and Obamacare and is the main reason the President went down this path. Anything good, he and his team will attribute to his namesake, anything painful or controversial, sequester. His biggest gift was the sequester.

Second, to Priapism. I understand your lack of enthusiasm for taxes, etc. Obamacare says that even if you have little risk of getting sick, you still need to pitch in for the good of others. This has a lot to do with providing goodies for votes. Both sides try to pitch their giveaways to secure power. This is the reason I think a flat tax will never happen even though it would be best. How could our great leaders manipulate us for votes if not through the threats of higher taxes or tax breaks or giveaways.

Thirdly, no offense, but you sound like one who was head over heels about a chick who dumped him after being together for several years. A man scorned, if you will. It might not be the case at all, but normally, people don't have such disdain for marriage and kids without something precipitating those feelings. Things might settle a bit for you in the next year or so, but the taxes will go on forever.

Posted · Report post

I have to agree with Priapism. "Notion of equality? Irrelevant when it comes to tax breaks, marriage and kids. Homosexuality? Corporate community benefit? Affordable housing? Education? Medical history? Environmentally friendly motivators? Drugs and alcohol? Addiction? Income? Yeah... all those are fine with respect to what can be considered to use the morality bludgeon in the form of the tax code. You'll just have to trust the majoritarian tyranny when it comes to knowing what is best for you."

Posted · Report post

[quote name='stirs' timestamp='1365250634' post='2187595']
Several things

First, I think the lines now will always be blurred between sequester and Obamacare and is the main reason the President went down this path. Anything good, he and his team will attribute to his namesake, anything painful or controversial, sequester. His biggest gift was the sequester.

Second, to Priapism. I understand your lack of enthusiasm for taxes, etc. Obamacare says that even if you have little risk of getting sick, you still need to pitch in for the good of others. This has a lot to do with providing goodies for votes. Both sides try to pitch their giveaways to secure power. This is the reason I think a flat tax will never happen even though it would be best. How could our great leaders manipulate us for votes if not through the threats of higher taxes or tax breaks or giveaways.

Thirdly, no offense, but you sound like one who was head over heels about a chick who dumped him after being together for several years. A man scorned, if you will. It might not be the case at all, but normally, people don't have such disdain for marriage and kids without something precipitating those feelings. Things might settle a bit for you in the next year or so, but the taxes will go on forever.
[/quote]

1st the medicare cuts that are causing the problem right now is because of the sequester. It isn't a grey area.

2nd people don't just go to the hospital when they are sick and people with insurance were the ones picking up the tab when those you think "have little risk of getting sick" actually did get sick or had a catastrophic medical event.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Priapism' timestamp='1365223478' post='2187521']
Oh, why yes it is. I wouldn't want to foster a child with dissapointing results such as this comment, would I?
[/quote]

Luckily you had parents who overlooked these types of results.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='stirs' timestamp='1365250634' post='2187595']

[/quote]

No offense taken. I am quite used to it, this is the go to school of thought that most people like to use to reason what they don't fully understand, or care to even understand. I get it. Most people follow the trend of wanting to get married and have children and that's lovely. Those that don't want to apply knee jerk reasoning behind it without ever giving it a second thought.

As I said previously I have made a lifestyle choice, a concious choice. Why is this so hard to believe without applying a nonesensical thereputic answer? I suppose this is just what people do. Regardless I am as happy as I can ever be with myself, me, who I am and the choice I have made. I can do what i want, who i want, with whoever i want, as much as I want, anytime i want. Life is good.

Until I get my check an realize how much I getting fuged because I am not married or have children. Why do I get to bear the higher tax burdon? This is a real discrimination issue that no one says anything about. Paying more for health insurance, car insurance, don't get the same kind of tax breaks, paying higher taxes. Mortgage brokers want to pass right over me and even sometimes rental offices. And I am a sucessfull guy! Oh and where does my SS go if god forbid I don't make it to that age?

By the way the marriage rate in this country is rapidly declining. I am willing to bet over half of the current marriages end in divorce. Want to guess why?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Priapism' timestamp='1365306250' post='2188061']

No offense taken. I am quite used to it, this is the go to school of thought that most people like to use to reason what they don't fully understand, or care to even understand. I get it. Most people follow the trend of wanting to get married and have children and that's lovely. Those that don't want to apply knee jerk reasoning behind it without ever giving it a second thought.

As I said previously I have made a lifestyle choice, a concious choice. Why is this so hard to believe without applying a nonesensical thereputic answer? I suppose this is just what people do. Regardless I am as happy as I can ever be with myself, me, who I am and the choice I have made. I can do what i want, who i want, with whoever i want, as much as I want, anytime i want. Life is good.[/quote]
Just for the record I back him on the above. I know a fair number of people with his mentality & with one exception, none of them afaik none arrived at that decision by being bitter & jilted. (Full disclosure: There should be 2 IMO but then the second is that army buddy I've mentioned that won the lottery & I'm gonna go out on a limb & say that winning $34 mil a few weeks after the divorce is final heals a fug ton of wounds)

[quote]Until I get my check an realize how much I getting fuged because I am not married or have children. Why do I get to bear the higher tax burdon? This is a real discrimination issue that no one says anything about. Paying more for health insurance, car insurance, don't get the same kind of tax breaks, paying higher taxes. Mortgage brokers want to pass right over me and even sometimes rental offices. And I am a sucessfull guy! Oh and where does my SS go if god forbid I don't make it to that age?[/quote]
Again, I don't see it as the IRS targeting you... but if you insist... You're gonna be paying taxes into the system for what? Another 20-30 years? Well so am I, & odds are, my son will put another 35+ years in, so its like they're splitting the difference.

As far as mortgage, rental, insurance, etc... they see people who are married with kids as stable & predictable, thus a safer bet.

[Quote]By the way the marriage rate in this country is rapidly declining. I am willing to bet over half of the current marriages end in divorce. Want to guess why?
[/quote]

Because they either got married too young or they caved to societal pressure.

Posted · Report post

The sequester us 100% on Obana, no matter how much the Dens want to debt it.

Obana got tax increases last year with one caveat....the spending cuts were to come by a specific date., or a sequester would happen.

He tried to back out of the cuts, and the Republicans called him on it.

He believed that he could make a promise and then have the Republuxans back down when he decided to void said promise.

Guy is a liar, a cheat, and a buffoon.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='MadHatter' timestamp='1365347888' post='2188229']
The sequester us 100% on Obana, no matter how much the Dens want to debt it.

Obana got tax increases last year with one caveat....the spending cuts were to come by a specific date., or a sequester would happen.

He tried to back out of the cuts, and the Republicans called him on it.

He believed that he could make a promise and then have the Republuxans back down when he decided to void said promise.

Guy is a liar, a cheat, and a buffoon.
[/quote]

Wanna post some citations for that, or are your research skills as crappy as your spelling?

Posted · Report post

Thats real interesting Mad, as I can remember him offering spending cuts and tax increases. I do however, know that Republicans said no the combination of cuts and new revenue, which every economist not associated with Paul Ryans infantile dreams agrees are needed.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='BBQ&Beer' timestamp='1365372480' post='2188407']
Wanna post some citations for that, or are your research skills as crappy as your spelling?
[/quote]

I was posting on an iPhone....so who gives two shits about spelling on an internet message board.

So, you can just keep your opinion and your 85 IQ to yourself.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='cookinwithgas' timestamp='1365373488' post='2188420']
Thats real interesting Mad, as I can remember him offering spending cuts and tax increases. I do however, know that Republicans said no the combination of cuts and new revenue, which every economist not associated with Paul Ryans infantile dreams agrees are needed.
[/quote]

The cuts that Obama has ever proposed are not even enough to be a drop in the bucket. This country has a MASSIVE spending issue.

His proposal is like having to put $5,000 per month on a credit card because you cannot afford your bills.....but offering to stop buying a newspaper on Mondays. The amount does not even equal the other increases that he has proposed.

Again....we have a MASSIVE spending issue. Not a revenue issue.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='MadHatter' timestamp='1365375669' post='2188442']

I was posting on an iPhone....[/quote]
Neat! I'm posting from a razr.

[Quote]so who gives two shits about spelling on an internet message board.[/quote]
Very few people. I just figured I'd give you an out when you realized you couldn't back up the idiotic claims you made... You're welcome.

[Quote]So, you can just keep your opinion and your 85 IQ to yourself.
[/quote]Oh my IQ is quite a bit higher than 85. Otherwise I wouldn't know the difference between opinion ( this is all Obama's fault!) & fact ( you didn't back up your argument).