Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doughboy88

4-3, 3-4: Which one is harder to beat?

31 posts in this topic

I am curious to see which base defense is overall harder to beat. Does practicing against your own 4-3 or 3-4 help better prepare you for the same style defense? Last year 13/32 teams had a base 3-4 defense, and 7 of those teams made the playoffs. I will be crunching the numbers later for 2012 and how they both styles impacted each team. We played 11 games facing a 4-3 and won 5 of them. Of the 3-4 teams, we won 2/5. Clearly this does not have any significant impact on the matter but maybe after all 32 teams are analyzed for 2012, there may be a trend. Maybe practicing against a 3-4 tends to lose more games against 4-3 teams and visa-versa. If there is a web site with this info already, please chime in!

3-4 more versatile and can disguise defenses and blitzes better

it just depends on who is on the field.

1 person likes this

A well run 4-3 is just as successful as a well run 3-4. Each defense requires different styles and different type of personnel to successfully run and beat it. It's all about the personnel you have and the matchups you create.

2 people like this

Isn't it something like 9 of the last 13 team SB winners were 3-4s? The notable defense exception is the NY Giants and their tremendous Defensive Ends.

A well run 4-3 is just as successful as a well run 3-4. Each defense requires different styles and different type of personnel to successfully run and beat it. It's all about the personnel you have and the matchups you create.

i would add to it how well the system is coached and run/executed.

easy, whoever has the better players and coaches

4-3 with players athletic enough to run 3-4 hybrid sets

I'd imagine 4-3 is better against the run, while 3-4 would be better for timed-route, pocket passers.