Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

4-3, 3-4: Which one is harder to beat?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#25 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

SUPPORTER

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:26 AM

If you have the right.players for a 43, is is the hardest to play against.

There aren't enough good 43 ends in the for most defenses to be 43.

There is always.more tweener guys coming out, so there will always be a healthy percentages of 34s.

Both defenses are can be great defenses.
Just takes the right personnel and execution.

#26 SIGCHI222

SIGCHI222

the illustrious potentate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

A sore d*ck is hard to beat.
The 4-3, 3-4, I leave that stuff up to you legitimate posters.

I will wait for Mr. Scot to chime in but from what I can discern, we do not have the personnel to run a 3-4 effectively yet.

#27 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

What? No votes for the Wide 9? :unsure:

#28 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

A sore d*ck is hard to beat.
The 4-3, 3-4, I leave that stuff up to you legitimate posters.

I will wait for Mr. Scot to chime in but from what I can discern, we do not have the personnel to run a 3-4 effectively yet.

Appreciated, but to be fair, I'm not the only one here who knows a thing or two.

What Rivera and McDermott want to run is a base 4-3 with occasional 3-4 packages thrown in. And yes, we have the personnel to do that. To run a 3-4 all the time? Not really. We don't have the "tweeners" you need at OLB for that, and our middle guys are true "mikes" rather than insiders. And I'd have to look but off the top of my head, we don't have anyone I'd want to throw in as a full time nose guard either.

Folks are correct when they say "hybrid really is the trend these days. And bottom line, with the right players and right coaching you can make either scheme work.

#29 weymouthst

weymouthst

#1 zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

Your basically looking at the LOS as the difference, 4 with the 43 and 5 with the 34. 3-4 disguises the 5 man blitz well, and plays the run better as well since you have 2 ILB's covering the gaps.

4-3 you rely heavily in your MLB to cover 2 gaps, where the 3-4 has 2 ILB's covering those same gaps. The OLB's for the 4-3 are meant to cover the outside lanes.

I would like to see a 3-4 base over the 4-3, but with our d-line and LB's as of right now, I think the 4-3 is deff the best way to go.

#30 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:07 PM

IMO, on passing downs they are the same Defense. You still have to rush 4, which still leaves 3LB. The fundamental difference comes in the run game. You have 4 LB for support. That is big in my book. On the flip side, if you can limit the run with just 4, it gives you flexibility as well. If all that is true. Then it just comes down to philosophy, coaching, and personnel. The coach with the most versatile players can do more scheming. Other than that, it is all just gravy in the boat.

#31 weymouthst

weymouthst

#1 zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

I also think that whatever formation gets your best players out there, make it happen.

Having a 3-4 looks puts CJ, Hardy, Dwan, TD, Keek, Beason, and now Blackburn as the front 7.

I would rather see a 3-3-6 look, that puts TD and Blackburn in a rotation together, and puts 6 DB's on field.

But like Beason said, our 4-3 formation, depending on who comes in as the other DLineman, could be "scary good" as long as people stay healthy.