• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,553 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:09 PM

g5 did you seriously just go from defending some crazy idea of your own to claiming it was a joke when you realized how outlandish it was right now?

i don't understand how people can be opposed to things like a registry of guns but perfectly A-Okay with a government controlled database of pictures that enable quick access to facial recognition software.

#17 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,396 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

He does it a lot.

#18 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,532 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:14 PM

g5 did you seriously just go from defending some crazy idea of your own to claiming it was a joke when you realized how outlandish it was right now?

i don't understand how people can be opposed to things like a registry of guns but perfectly A-Okay with a government controlled database of pictures that enable quick access to facial recognition software.

Government already has a database of pictures that could be used for quick access from facial recognition software. It's called the DMV.

#19 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,993 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:54 PM

We are for smaller gov intervention in life except in your doctors office, your vagina, your love life, and IDs or retinal scanners to vote, a state religion,

#20 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,730 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:48 PM

i wonder how much all this would cost to implement compared to the good it would accomplish. given the eye-poppingly low instances of voter fraud wouldn't this be one of those bullshit wasteful spending big government programs the tea party conservatives love to get all red in the face about?

#21 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,532 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:19 AM

How many instances of voter fraud are people content with.

#22 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,730 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:27 AM

Quit trying to frame the argument as though people are "content" with it. It's a question of cost versus demonstrable necessity and as it stands there is a massively imbalance between the two.

#23 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,730 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:28 AM

"would you rather pass voter ID laws or let the holocaust happen to puppies and kittens? which side of this totally not false dichotomy do YOU fall on?"

#24 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,532 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

"would you rather pass voter ID laws or let the holocaust happen to puppies and kittens? which side of this totally not false dichotomy do YOU fall on?"

Voter id law intent is to prevent any voter fraud from going on. There is no false dichotomy or killing of pets. Liberals use this angle of argument when it comes to things like gun control. "How many children must die before sensible gun legislation is passed". They put pictures of murdered children on magazines.

Don't like the same strategy used from the other direction?

Just respond to the question. How many instances are acceptable.

Also...there are borderline 3rd world countries with better means of voter identification and tabulation than we have in some areas of the US.

#25 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,730 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:39 AM

Voter id law intent is to prevent any voter fraud from going on. There is no false dichotomy or killing of pets. Liberals use this angle of argument when it comes to things like gun control. "How many children must die before sensible gun legislation is passed". They put pictures of murdered children on magazines.

Don't like the same strategy used from the other direction?

Just respond to the question. How many instances are acceptable.

Also...there are borderline 3rd world countries with better means of voter identification and tabulation than we have in some areas of the US.

if you truly don't see the difference there's nothing left to be discussed here

#26 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,532 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:48 AM

if you truly don't see the difference there's nothing left to be discussed here

"Give me liberty or give me death"

By not answering, it's obvious you cannot give that number. I knew you couldn't give a number because there ISN'T a number > 0 that is acceptable. Who cares if 1 out of 250,000 votes is invalid...as long as it wasn't one of your votes cancelled out by the 1 illegal vote of someone else.

But you're statements say otherwise. There IS a cost/acceptance level you are admitting to in speaking out against the law, but not willing to let everyone know. For someone that's so quick to expound in great articulance their stance on issues, I'm amazed at your inability to put to words what's acceptable.

#27 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,730 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

"Give me liberty or give me death"

By not answering, it's obvious you cannot give that number. I knew you couldn't give a number because there ISN'T a number > 0 that is acceptable. Who cares if 1 out of 250,000 votes is invalid...as long as it wasn't one of your votes cancelled out by the 1 illegal vote of someone else.

But you're statements say otherwise. There IS a cost/acceptance level you are admitting to in speaking out against the law, but not willing to let everyone know. For someone that's so quick to expound in great articulance their stance on issues, I'm amazed at your inability to put to words what's acceptable.

am i being trolled here?

i already said, you're putting the argument in the framework of "either choose voter ID laws or you are ok with voter fraud happening and the subsequent downfall of liberty and the pursuit of happiness you loathsome human being" when the reality is that the question is primarily utilitarian and the rejection of voter ID laws is a sacrifice of something demonstrably not a big deal because of what it would cost to address that not-big-deal.

is one instance of voter fraud bad? yes.
should it be stopped? yes.
at all cost?

no.

#28 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,532 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:06 AM

am i being trolled here?

i already said, you're putting the argument in the framework of "either choose voter ID laws or you are ok with voter fraud happening and the subsequent downfall of liberty and the pursuit of happiness you loathsome human being" when the reality is that the question is primarily utilitarian and the rejection of voter ID laws is a sacrifice of something demonstrably not a big deal because of what it would cost to address that not-big-deal.

is one instance of voter fraud bad? yes.
should it be stopped? yes.
at all cost?

no.

I'm not framing it as either choose this or it's full on voter fraud. I'm framing it as some of these common sense voter id laws are accepted in nearly every country in the world. We, the US voting system, is looked upon as a joke by countries much less technologically advanced than we.

Same day voter registration is a joke.

I personally know of a Jamaican national (not a citizen) who's a great guy, owns multiple restaurants, taxpayer, but is on our voter registration rolls. Even his girlfriend, who's an OFA volunteer and went to both inaugurations has no clue how/why he's on the rolls. He didn't vote because he KNEW legally he couldn't. Do you think the little old ladies of the League of Women Voters know anything other than simply asking name/address? No. There are major flaws in our voting systems and they need to be reviewed. If he'd voted...how would he have ever gotten caught. He was/is on the voter registration list.

Something as simple as running our voter registration list against E-Verify for citizenship status is met with fire and brimstone from liberals. Compromise was made for the elderly in this bill, students, and accomodations for the free ids.

#29 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,000 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

We are for smaller gov intervention in life except in your doctors office, your vagina, your love life, and IDs or retinal scanners to vote, a state religion,

If you want smaller government intervention....start with gov't supporting people for their entire lives.

You are as hypocritical on this topic as the person you were insulting.

You want gov't intervention in entitlement programs, medicine, etc.....but not in other things.

#30 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,396 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:07 AM

I enjoyed that movie, the League of Women Voters, Sean Connery was awesome in it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com