#31 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,404 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

I have never said abstinence only. That's why I mentioned at least give the person a free box of condoms with the morning after pill. The doc/pharmacist now knows this girl is sexually active and they know they don't have to inform the parent. So maybe a free box can help for her in the future.

Its all how we market and package things. Isn't the upside to waiting till you are married much more than not? Can't schools show a chart with a 0 beside STDS if you wait? It seems its now more taboo to wait than not.
And for full disclosure I didn't wait. It was all my choices. Looking back and knowing what I know I wish I had waited. I don't fret over it that was so long ago but that's how I see it.

It does seem odd you can keep a "kid" on your insurance till what 26 now but you can't be told about them getting the am pill? Seems...odd.

#32 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

"Wait till you're married" is one of the leading drivers of divorce.

I'd say the "teach kids self respect, the pluses and minuses of casual sex, the risks of unprotected sex, and how to use a rubber" path is probably the way to go.

#33 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,512 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:42 PM

Generally, the left wants no restrictions on sex or "after the fact" fixes. In their views, the same kids who cannot balance a checkbook, name the VP of the US, or have any plan for their future, are wholly capable and have the rights to unending sex, whenever, wherever and with whomever they want. Not many things in the conversations about the lefts ideas on curing the ills until after they have happened. I guess free condoms in schools are one, but that scares the other side to death.

Kids are going to have sex.

Give them the tools not to ruin their life when they do. Education, contraception, birth control, whatever. Making an expensive pill easier to acquire for people who are younger isn't going to make kids run out and have careless sex all the damn time any more than they already do.

Instead of spinning our wheels punishing kids who actually have sex, why not provide them an environment where doing so doesn't have such a huge risk of ruining their futures?

Also, what the hell does who the VP is have anything to do with "rights to unending sex, whenever blah blah".. I mean goddamn, what the heck are you even talking about? :P

#34 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,770 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

Do you have a teenage daughter? Most times, they are in tune with Facebook and little else. Slow down the criticism and think a bit.

#35 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,512 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

So your argument is that, because your child (and teenagers in general) do not know anything about politics, they are not responsible enough to have sex? Possibly true.

Do you think that you feeling that way, no matter how true or untrue it may be, will prevent them from doing so?

I think you really do not understand the point of view of many people you disagree with. This isn't about promoting sex among underage people. It's about accepting the reality that a large portion of them are going to do it whether we want them to or not. So let's enable them to do so in a way that will offer them some protection from the dangers of it.

#36 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,770 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

I think if you read my earlier comments, you'd see that I don't necessarily agree that either side has it together. You seem to be espousing your side, which is fine.

You can ask leading questions, but they were answered in my earlier posts

#37 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,404 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

I don't think there are many teens who don't know about sex and diseases etc. They are very savvy and aware.
In some odd way the show on MTV can do a good job of shwoing the downside to unplanned pregnancies. Not to mention what happens if no protection.

I still say you promote self respect and confidence so a kid doesn't cave into peer pressure or goes looking for worth because aren't valued at home.

And I stand by the fact the am pill is too late in the game. Sure we might slow down unwanted births but the diseases that are out there needs to be the forefront to stop as much as possible.

#38 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,595 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

I don't think there are many teens who don't know about sex and diseases etc. They are very savvy and aware.
In some odd way the show on MTV can do a good job of shwoing the downside to unplanned pregnancies. Not to mention what happens if no protection.

I still say you promote self respect and confidence so a kid doesn't cave into peer pressure or goes looking for worth because aren't valued at home.

And I stand by the fact the am pill is too late in the game. Sure we might slow down unwanted births but the diseases that are out there needs to be the forefront to stop as much as possible.

Maybe now days but in the late 90s they were not. And growing up eviroments were sex is wrong outside of marriage makes it a very hidden act when it does happen outside of marriage and more often then not its happening before marriage.

Also are u saying teens have sex because they don't have confidence and feel love?

#39 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,138 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:27 PM

I told my daughter that whenever she was making out and needed to draw the line, to ask the boy if he thought Ronald and Nancy Reagan ever did this. Crisis averted.

#40 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,404 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

Some have sex cat because they are looking for validation. Not all of course.

#41 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,404 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:14 PM

Some have sex cat because they are looking for validation. Not all of course.

#42 cptx

cptx

Junkhead

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,106 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

maybe somebody will figure out a way to make methamphetamine out of it so you have to be 18 to buy

#43 twylyght

twylyght

The picture of how I care

• HUDDLER
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

Might as well get to the endgame sooner rather than later

#44 OneBadCat

OneBadCat

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:30 AM

Well, the other side generally stands only against the conservative view in every way, so, I paraphrase.

Generally, the left wants no restrictions on sex or "after the fact" fixes. In their views, the same kids who cannot balance a checkbook, name the VP of the US, or have any plan for their future, are wholly capable and have the rights to unending sex, whenever, wherever and with whomever they want. Not many things in the conversations about the lefts ideas on curing the ills until after they have happened. I guess free condoms in schools are one, but that scares the other side to death.

The pious ones from the church, think that they can tell the kids to do things that they themselves were not capable of and use guilt and condemnation to pummel the views into their heads.

Like I said, way more to it than what each side espouses.

So what? Sex happens and it's time to fuggin deal. There should be no shame in plan B. That is a very responsible decision and if any of you have ever broken a condom you know what I'm talking about. All the pressure that the churches put on kids is literally stupid in every way possible. Sex is not an ill, it's nature and accidents do happen. Making kids feel like they have to talk to their parents or that they are at the mercy of anyone other than their own decisions is why we have Teen Mom and Maury.

#45 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,683 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:56 AM

So what? Sex happens and it's time to fuggin deal. There should be no shame in plan B. That is a very responsible decision and if any of you have ever broken a condom you know what I'm talking about. All the pressure that the churches put on kids is literally stupid in every way possible. Sex is not an ill, it's nature and accidents do happen. Making kids feel like they have to talk to their parents or that they are at the mercy of anyone other than their own decisions is why we have Teen Mom and Maury.

fuging preach! Well said.

Sex happens. I honestly do not know of a single person (and I have moved a lot and know a LOT of people) who ever did the whole "abstinence till marriage" deal, including my most religious friends. It's just not realistic. There is a reason we have a crazy sex drive that starts in the teenage years. It's just natural. We're not slaves to biology any more. Science and medicine has freed us from that. Sex is not, and has never been about, procreation alone (hence, why rape has existed for as far back in history as we can find). Sure, it's the means to that end, but to say "don't have sex until you can handle a child" is fuging terrible, unrealistic advice. Of course there is SOME truth to it, because pregnancy is a possible outcome, and stating that it is something that needs to be considered is obviously wise, but also let them understand the other options AFTER pregnancy if they CHOOSE to take those routes. Practice safe sex and take measures such as Plan B if the need is there. It is their body, their lives, their choice. To take that from them isn't teaching them responsibility anymore than saying "you can't drive until you're no longer my dependent" (and I KNOW people that have parents that are doing just that...21 year old people...no license, no car, all because of their parents). It is being obsessively controlling when the teenage years is indeed, IMO, about slowly taking the training wheels off and guiding them. Helping them to stand on their own two feet for when they are in college or otherwise moved out and on their own. Not controlling their minds and bodies.

People want them to act like adults, yet strip them of their decision making. Their decision making shouldn't be "obey or disobey my parents". It should be, do this, or do that. Get this, or get that. Go here, or go there. And parents should be informing them of the pros and cons of each. Teaching them to look at everything and for them to learn how to see the pros and cons themselves. Teach them decision making. Teaching them rational thinking. My parents barely gave me "the talk". I didn't lose my virginity until 19 (was with the girlfriend I eventually lost it to since I was 17, and waited 2 years because she wasn't ready for that and I respected that, because I was raised to respect women and taught that THAT was the woman's choice and the man's agreement). I have never engaged in unprotected sex. I don't go around having sex with whoever, whenever, wherever. Sure, not all teens in my specific circumstances turn into people like me, but the point is that some do and that not being all over a teen's business is the best thing for them. It allows them to make those choices, and to live with those choices, for better or for worse. That is what adulthood is all about, after all. That is what living is. And making them fear ridicule, condemnation, or any other negative response from parents and peers because they made a choice is a quick way to end up with more teen pregnancies, more mistakes, and more problems. If they have sex, a mistake happens, and they end up pregnant, they should know that they can, if they so choose, take a simple pill and it all goes away and they have learned a lesson: mistakes can happen, be more careful next time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com