50 replies to this topic

#41 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationMontford
HUDDLER

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:14 PM

Some have sex cat because they are looking for validation. Not all of course.

#42 cptx

cptx

Junkhead

SUPPORTER

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

maybe somebody will figure out a way to make methamphetamine out of it so you have to be 18 to buy

#43 twylyght

twylyght

The picture of how I care

HUDDLER

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

Might as well get to the endgame sooner rather than later

#44 OneBadCat

OneBadCat

HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:30 AM

Well, the other side generally stands only against the conservative view in every way, so, I paraphrase.

Generally, the left wants no restrictions on sex or "after the fact" fixes. In their views, the same kids who cannot balance a checkbook, name the VP of the US, or have any plan for their future, are wholly capable and have the rights to unending sex, whenever, wherever and with whomever they want. Not many things in the conversations about the lefts ideas on curing the ills until after they have happened. I guess free condoms in schools are one, but that scares the other side to death.

The pious ones from the church, think that they can tell the kids to do things that they themselves were not capable of and use guilt and condemnation to pummel the views into their heads.

Like I said, way more to it than what each side espouses.

So what? Sex happens and it's time to fuggin deal. There should be no shame in plan B. That is a very responsible decision and if any of you have ever broken a condom you know what I'm talking about. All the pressure that the churches put on kids is literally stupid in every way possible. Sex is not an ill, it's nature and accidents do happen. Making kids feel like they have to talk to their parents or that they are at the mercy of anyone other than their own decisions is why we have Teen Mom and Maury.

#45 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

HUDDLER

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:56 AM

So what? Sex happens and it's time to fuggin deal. There should be no shame in plan B. That is a very responsible decision and if any of you have ever broken a condom you know what I'm talking about. All the pressure that the churches put on kids is literally stupid in every way possible. Sex is not an ill, it's nature and accidents do happen. Making kids feel like they have to talk to their parents or that they are at the mercy of anyone other than their own decisions is why we have Teen Mom and Maury.

fuging preach! Well said.

Sex happens. I honestly do not know of a single person (and I have moved a lot and know a LOT of people) who ever did the whole "abstinence till marriage" deal, including my most religious friends. It's just not realistic. There is a reason we have a crazy sex drive that starts in the teenage years. It's just natural. We're not slaves to biology any more. Science and medicine has freed us from that. Sex is not, and has never been about, procreation alone (hence, why rape has existed for as far back in history as we can find). Sure, it's the means to that end, but to say "don't have sex until you can handle a child" is fuging terrible, unrealistic advice. Of course there is SOME truth to it, because pregnancy is a possible outcome, and stating that it is something that needs to be considered is obviously wise, but also let them understand the other options AFTER pregnancy if they CHOOSE to take those routes. Practice safe sex and take measures such as Plan B if the need is there. It is their body, their lives, their choice. To take that from them isn't teaching them responsibility anymore than saying "you can't drive until you're no longer my dependent" (and I KNOW people that have parents that are doing just that...21 year old people...no license, no car, all because of their parents). It is being obsessively controlling when the teenage years is indeed, IMO, about slowly taking the training wheels off and guiding them. Helping them to stand on their own two feet for when they are in college or otherwise moved out and on their own. Not controlling their minds and bodies.

People want them to act like adults, yet strip them of their decision making. Their decision making shouldn't be "obey or disobey my parents". It should be, do this, or do that. Get this, or get that. Go here, or go there. And parents should be informing them of the pros and cons of each. Teaching them to look at everything and for them to learn how to see the pros and cons themselves. Teach them decision making. Teaching them rational thinking. My parents barely gave me "the talk". I didn't lose my virginity until 19 (was with the girlfriend I eventually lost it to since I was 17, and waited 2 years because she wasn't ready for that and I respected that, because I was raised to respect women and taught that THAT was the woman's choice and the man's agreement). I have never engaged in unprotected sex. I don't go around having sex with whoever, whenever, wherever. Sure, not all teens in my specific circumstances turn into people like me, but the point is that some do and that not being all over a teen's business is the best thing for them. It allows them to make those choices, and to live with those choices, for better or for worse. That is what adulthood is all about, after all. That is what living is. And making them fear ridicule, condemnation, or any other negative response from parents and peers because they made a choice is a quick way to end up with more teen pregnancies, more mistakes, and more problems. If they have sex, a mistake happens, and they end up pregnant, they should know that they can, if they so choose, take a simple pill and it all goes away and they have learned a lesson: mistakes can happen, be more careful next time.

#46 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• LocationMontford
HUDDLER

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

i agree. since a young person is responsible enough for their choices, then they don't have to be on their parents insurance until they are 26 right?

#47 OneBadCat

OneBadCat

HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:05 PM

What does sex have to do with that?

#48 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• LocationMontford
HUDDLER

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:13 PM

they are old enough to think and do for themselves and either make good choices are bad and if need be, navigate thru those choices.
so if the parents don't need to be involved in anything to do with the am pill, then why should those same kids be on those very parents insurance plan?

merely highlighting the juxtaposition. ya want the freedom on one hand and be called responsible, but still want the safety blanket of mom and dad and at that point be just a kid.

just seems ironic.

#49 Delhommey

Delhommey

Moderators

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

i agree. since a young person is responsible enough for their choices, then they don't have to be on their parents insurance until they are 26 right?

I didn't know they had to be.

#50 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

HUDDLER

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

I was dropped from my parents insurance a while ago. And dependency status does not mean that the parent has the right to dictate what the child does with their body when they are at the age of consent. You are aware of this, correct? When a child is 18, they can get a tattoo and there isn't a damn thing the parents can do if they don't like it. Besides kick their kid out over a fuging tattoo, which is as obscene as forcing your child to go through a pregnancy that they deem a mistake. But even if they do that, well, the child would then no longer be a dependent.

Basically, pstall, your argument of "they're on my insurance, so I should know everything about their sexual activity and what they do in the case of pregnancy" is fuging stupid. Would it be ideal for kids to be able to talk to their parents? Absolutely. Do the parents have to earn that trust from their kid that they won't be judged, shamed, or bullied into a decision one way or the other on the matter? Absolutely. And there is the problem with most of the people I went to high school with who had teen pregnancies/abortions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users