Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DeAndre Hopkins visiting Panthers today

103 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

If we can go into training camp with a top-tier rookie receiver, a safety, a guard, and a defensive tackle added to the roster in one form or another we'll be looking pretty nice

Posted · Report post

14 seems high but if we trade down to the mid 20's Hopkins would be a great pick there.

Posted · Report post

Hopkins or Hunter are the ones I want on the team.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Growl' timestamp='1365437336' post='2188768']
Lemme clarify, my comment has nothing to do with "reaching" as that's become a mostly outdated term. It has to do with the fact I wouldn't prefer Hopkins at 14 over an Allen or a Patterson. Id rather pull the trigger on the best receiver prospect we could get at 14 than try to squeeze as much out of the draft as we could, truth be told, and am not sure how I'd feel about the move mentioned above.
[/quote]
My problem is this. There are several WR's we could take in this draft. But the cream of the crop is very few and Hopkins is one of those guys. And personally I think there are 4-5 WR with the talents that would be perfect for the Panthers. To me it would be Hopkins, Hunter, Patterson, Rodgers, maybe Allen. Patterson is very raw, but once one of those guys are off the board I feel it will be a domino effect and they will start flying off the board. It happens every year in the draft.

I wouldn't mind reaching for Hopkins at 14 if meant we were getting one of the best WR's in the draft and one of the best WR's to make an impact on our team in 2013. Once those 3-4 guys are gone I feel like we would just be picking up bullsht again like every other year. We can't afford to do that again, we need a legit future WR now.

Posted · Report post

I have Hopkins going to Houston at 27. So this would be a possibility if we trade down in mid 20's.

Posted · Report post

We are due to hit on a WR pick.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='OneBadCat' timestamp='1365437913' post='2188776']

My problem is this. There are several WR's we could take in this draft. But the cream of the crop is very few and Hopkins is one of those guys. And personally I think there are 4-5 WR with the talents that would be perfect for the Panthers. To me it would be Hopkins, Hunter, Patterson, Rodgers, maybe Allen. Patterson is very raw, but once one of those guys are off the board I feel it will be a domino effect and they will start flying off the board. It happens every year in the draft.

I wouldn't mind reaching for Hopkins at 14 if meant we were getting one of the best WR's in the draft and one of the best WR's to make an impact on our team in 2013. Once those 3-4 guys are gone I feel like we would just be picking up bullsht again like every other year. We can't afford to do that again, we need a legit future WR now.
[/quote]

I agree with your assessment that we need a future star now. I disagree that Hopkins is in the same tier as a Patterson or Allen. I feel their potential vastly out weighs his.

Posted · Report post

Just something to add to the conversation, been seeing a few "I like him in the first, just not at 14" posts in here, this isn't relevent anymore, if he's the player we want just pick him, doesn't matter if he's 1st or 32nd pick the right pick at 14 is the player we want.

Something that has been lost recently in draft talk is the impact of the rookie salary Cap, the reason before that we didn't want to pick up player x/y/z was because the salary that would be involved for at position x, drafted in the top ten, lets say you have a QB that may be fine but you have a question mark about him so you don't want to risk the pick at 7 because you will have to pay him $50 mill, he drops to the second round because of that and you sign him for $15m now today it's fixed cap meaning less loss if the player is a bust.

Because of this you will continue to see more and more QBs get drafted in the first, even for this being a down year for QBs you may see up to 5 go in the first. And also teams unless they just want more picks will be less interested in trading back and hoping the player they want drops to them and more about just picking the guy they want outright.

At 14 if a guy we want is there like Hopkins we need just draft him because of this.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='OneBadCat' timestamp='1365437913' post='2188776']

[/quote]agree, also because of the rookie cap he's not a reach at 14, as I put it in my last post.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Doc Holiday' timestamp='1365439479' post='2188800']
Just something to add to the conversation, been seeing a few "I like him in the first, just not at 14" posts in here, this isn't relevent anymore, if he's the player we want just pick him, doesn't matter if he's 1st or 32nd pick the right pick at 14 is the player we want.

Something that has been lost recently in draft talk is the impact of the rookie salary Cap, the reason before that we didn't want to pick up player x/y/z was because the salary that would be involved for at position x, drafted in the top ten, lets say you have a QB that may be fine but you have a question mark about him so you don't want to risk the pick at 7 because you will have to pay him $50 mill, he drops to the second round because of that and you sign him for $15m now today it's fixed cap meaning less loss if the player is a bust.

Because of this you will continue to see more and more QBs get drafted in the first, even for this being a down year for QBs you may see up to 5 go in the first. And also teams unless they just want more picks will be less interested in trading back and hoping the player they want drops to them and more about just picking the guy they want outright.

At 14 if a guy we want is there like Hopkins we need just draft him because of this.
[/quote]

At 14 Im taking austin if we go wr route.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Squirrel' timestamp='1365439788' post='2188807']

At 14 Im taking austin if we go wr route.
[/quote]really? Would have never guessed that pick from you.

Posted · Report post

Am I the only one who has 0% interest in Austin?