SZ James

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,116 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:36 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

While many factors contribute to the rates of gun violence in any state, our research clearly demonstrates a significant correlation between the strength of a state’s gun laws and the prevalence of gun violence in the state. Across the key indicators of gun violence that we analyzed, the 10 states with the weakest gun laws collectively have a level of gun violence that is more than twice as high—104 percent higher—than the 10 states with the strongest gun laws.

http://www.americanprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/AmericaUnderTheGun.pdf

#2 gospodin shuttlesworth

gospodin shuttlesworth

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:24 PM

i recently read an article by an author who argued that income inequality can be blamed for high violent crime rates, and that efforts to remove a sizable portion of guns without first addressing inequality may only exacerbate the problem

idk the numbers but i'd venture to guess that the GINI coefficients of the states with the highest crime rates are also p high

#3 SZ James

SZ James

• HUDDLER
  • 7,116 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:47 PM

i recently read an article by an author who argued that income inequality can be blamed for high violent crime rates, and that efforts to remove a sizable portion of guns without first addressing inequality may only exacerbate the problem

idk the numbers but i'd venture to guess that the GINI coefficients of the states with the highest crime rates are also p high

I don't think it would exacerbate the problem. I see what you're saying, but I think both could help with different types of gun crime.

What you're talking about would help with gang/drug/theft related violence. State gun laws and background checks would target mentally unstable people/suicide/crimes of passion etc.

#4 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 17,809 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:57 PM

link?

#5 gospodin shuttlesworth

gospodin shuttlesworth

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:17 PM

i was mistaken; the argument was that gun control without equality would result in more mass murders, not more violent crime.

https://www.nsfwcorp...-heads-we-lose/

the link may be behind a pay wall and it's mark ames who's a pretty polarizing figure to the left but one of the take home points is how gun enthusiasts argue that the underlying problem is the sad state of mental healthcare in america (which is true) while simultaneously maintaining libertarian ideals which do not allow for intervention to fix the problem (UHC); gun politics are "a shrill diversion"

#6 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,142 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

:sleep:

I question the Validity of a poll/survey/w.e that says the State of NC has "worse" gun violence than the State of California.

#7 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 17,728 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:40 AM

North Carolina is bad....see Durham, Winston Salem, etc...

#8 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 11,902 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

Any report listing gun laws as a good thing is automatically wrong. You can take your p-values and you know what to do with them.

- Gun Addicts

#9 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 15,960 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

while I like the analysis the lack of accounting for potential covariates means I do not completely buy the analysis. still pretty interesting and not surprising, but I'd like to see some other metrics included and accounted for in the analysis.

#10 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

I question the Validity of a poll/survey/w.e that says the State of NC has "worse" gun violence than the State of California.

If you have to normalize the data by state then it makes sense. It would look much different broken down by county I'm sure.

#11 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• HUDDLER
  • 10,820 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:00 PM

335 people were killed by gun violence in NC during 2011. While 1,220 people were killed by gun violence in CA during 2011.

Now factoring in the population of each state, 9.7 million for NC and 38 million for California.

NC has a much higher Murder by firearm rate then California (Roughly 14% compared to 9%)

Violent crimes in NC was around 42,000 and California was around 194,000, both of which are in the top 10 in the US.

NC also has one of the higher property damage and burglary crime rates in the Country as well. "Charlotte is particularly bad in this section of crime"

Data shows that while California has a higher total amount of crimes committed using a firearm, but the percentage is higher in NC because of the huge difference in population.

http://www.guardian....-crime-us-state

http://www.statemast...umber-homicides

Now if you want to compare say the US (probably the weakest gun laws in the world) to the rest of the world. You can use the information from here. http://www.washingto...t-of-the-world/

You'll notice that Brazil and Southern Africa both have pretty damn high percentages comparatively for murder's committed with fire arms. While America is middle of the pack in those percentages but tops in the gun's owned percentage.

More detailed version of the gun's owned percentage can be found here. http://www.guardian....p-homicides-map

A bunch of people like to use Switzerland as a pro for gun ownership, but fail to realize that less then half of the civilians in Switzerland own guns. Most of the gun ownership is from militia and men being conscripted into the militia between 20-30.

Unless some are proposing that the US go back to conscription based service.

#12 Woodcookedbbq

Woodcookedbbq

Vinegar Based

• HUDDLER
  • 2,329 posts
  • LocationGreenville, NC

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

And Illinois is near the bottom. Yeah, not buying it.

#13 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,743 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

And Illinois is near the bottom. Yeah, not buying it.

Questioning the methodology is fine, but summarily dismissing data that doesnt match your assumptions is quite ignorant. Most americans will tell you that violent crime is getting worse even though is has steadily declined for decades

http://www.gallup.co...-Worsening.aspx
Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

In the old days most arguements ended up in the street at high noon, where the disagreeing parties would have a duel with guns. Very common for all walks of life back then. I wonder if they kept charts and graphs so we could compare the rates from then to now?

#15 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 21,809 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:11 PM

My fave post of the day

Steven

I can not stand with this asshole prez and all his bullshit. TWF He is a lier and WHY If I want a gun to bad. I dont get what is going on. If I want one the fine.HE MAKES ME SO MAD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.