Photo
- - - - -

Anyone else think the Sheldon Richardson mocks are just "experts" being lazy?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#11 RockyTopVol

RockyTopVol

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

I don't think so. I also still think it would be a good pick for us. He's a really good pass rusher, and he's really pretty solid against the run, too. Dwan Edwards is hardly our long-term answer at his position. Drafting a guy like Richardson may not be the fan favorite pick for 2013, but it would be a great pick for the future of the team.
Now, having said that, I am still hoping we go WR and Safety with our first two picks.

#12 thunderraiden

thunderraiden

Thunder God Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:46 AM

We didn't meet with Barron last year but if he would have drop to us he was going to be the pick.

So we were going to draft a safety with a higher pick last year and that safety was nearly as good a prospect as 2 in this draft and we're not going to get one a year later with our secondary dying for a leader? Ok.

#13 stratopanther

stratopanther

• LocationCentral VA
SUPPORTER

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

Sports writers aren't held accountable for being wrong so why not be lazy?

#14 XClown1986

XClown1986

I'm a good clown

SUPPORTER

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

It's the same thing as when Mel Kiper kept mocking a TE to us year after year. When you don't have a stud at every position, immediately mock drafters slot a guy in there early because of a perceived want and "need."

I personally don't like that many mock drafters are selecting Richardson for the Panthers, but I do think there is a much better chance of selecting Richardson this year than there was of selecting Fletcher Cox last year.

I honestly think if you look at tendencies, you kind of have to mock a safety or wideout to the Panthers in Round 1. It just makes more sense, unless Star or Floyd are there (I highly doubt it). So, yes, it is lazy mock drafting.

#15 dbulls874

dbulls874

ROOKIE

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:50 AM

I agree with OP. Lazy is exactly right. I doubt they take another three technique defensive tackle unless he is far and away the best player available. The mock drafters have Richardson there because they think he's a combination of BPA and a need, but in reality the need is at the other tackle spot, where Ron Edwards will have to be replaced. So Richardson would have to be the obvious BPA, and BPA only goes so far. For example, if BPA at 14 was Geno Smith or Eddie Lacy, that thinking would go right out the window.

If Star's there, I'd be thrilled for them to take him. I'm not in the business of advocating who they shouldn't take anymore, as I was disappointed when they grabbed Uncle Luke last year, which was shortsighted of me. If they DO take Richardson, I'll be convinced Ron and DG have their reasons. But I think if Star is gone they'll go best available WR, CB, S, or OL, with an eye on safety or DT in round 2 if not taken at 14.

#16 Swaggasaurus

Swaggasaurus

HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationWilkesboro
HUDDLER

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

I love Star to but I would be happy with Richardson as well. He so versatile and if he is taking up 2 blockers we win regardless. Because that mean Luck isn't dealing with a guard and they are going 1-1 with CJ and Hardy.

We don't win if the two blockers push him out of his gap and into our LB. That makes us losers, in a big way.

#17 CharlottePanther

CharlottePanther

HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
Stop Making Threads...

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:57 AM

I will admit, as awful as Hurney was, I atleast didnt fret about our 1st round picks because I knew Hurney hit on nearly all of his 1st rounders, we really have no idea what to expect from Gman. Dont get me wrong, Im not supporting Hurney and am very glad we have Gman now,

#18 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

HUDDLER

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

Not really, pretty much all mock drafts are based on need. And since no team is going to give out reliable information about who they are really considering, what else is there to go by?

#19 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:07 AM

I will admit, as awful as Hurney was, I atleast didnt fret about our 1st round picks because I knew Hurney hit on nearly all of his 1st rounders, we really have no idea what to expect from Gman. Dont get me wrong, Im not supporting Hurney and am very glad we have Gman now,

this was one of the many frustrating things about hurney.

the guy with only one real exception (otah) hit it every year, but he was always looking to trade that pick away. i blame it on being a gambling addict.

#20 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• LocationNonya
HUDDLER

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

We don't win if the two blockers push him out of his gap and into our LB. That makes us losers, in a big way.

if they are dedicating 2 blockers to him then they aren't doubling CJ or Hardy. Which falls to our benefit. Plus this idea that every play ran at Richardson he gets blown out is overly exaggerated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users