Photo
- - - - -

Gun Laws, Abortion, Health Care, Taxes, War, Education

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
102 replies to this topic

#91 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:29 PM

when you are face to face with people they don't have a google search option at the ready to counter a point or make a wise retort. either you know something or you don't.

Or more often you think you know something, and you say it with enough authority and conviction that your listeners are hesitant to call you on it.

These are both so true. When I have face to face political conversations (and I have politicians and lobbyists in my family, and we have a family that is very politically diverse and opinionated as hell, so these conversations often come up once we are good and drunk) one of two things happen;

1) I can't articulate what I am trying to say properly and just make it more confusing. Or,

2) If I am not 100% sure about something, I either hedge like crazy or just don't say anything at all.

But what i will do, and my family and friends hate this, is I will email them later once I get all the info straight and try to crush them if they are wrong (or at least I think they are wrong) lol.

#92 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:36 PM

the only problem with name calling is that people without a real argument can just seize on that and conveniently ignore the rest

Ironic

I'm just gonna put these two posts together

#93 PhillyB

PhillyB

sườn núi phía đông thứ ba của mặt trời

SUPPORTER

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:37 PM

it would be interesting to see tinderbox topics tackled irl with the same participants around a roundtable and a case of IPAs

#94 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

HUDDLER

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:39 PM

FWIW I don't approve of the name calling but threads always escalate quickly out of nowhere and it's hard to moderate consistantly. One of the few times I will say "every side does it" but yeah impossible to really see who actually starts it

"I don't approve of the name calling"

Although, you do quite a bit of it. "But everybody's doin it"

Ironic is an adjective by the way

#95 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:50 PM

it would be interesting to see tinderbox topics tackled irl with the same participants around a roundtable and a case of IPAs

Debating while drunk is the best because you always feel like you are nailing it.

However, I am pretty confident that if you recorded those conversations and replayed them the next day for yourself sober, you would sound like "drunk uncle" from Saturday Night Live. Or at least I know I would.

#96 PhillyB

PhillyB

sườn núi phía đông thứ ba của mặt trời

SUPPORTER

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:53 PM

"too much wine and too little: give a man one or the other and he cannot find the truth"

blaise pascal

#97 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

HUDDLER

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:57 PM

"I don't approve of the name calling"

Although, you do quite a bit of it. "But everybody's doin it"

Ironic is an adjective by the way

Like when you called certain voters morons for thinking a certain way?

Damn double ironic :(

#98 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

HUDDLER

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:23 AM

I call the electorate at large sheep and morons just because they do NOT think. They are taken in by deception all the time. From both sides.

A bit different than calling you a name personally like racist or my favorite "fugtard". I don't have conversations here on the Huddle with the electorate at large, but with individuals

#99 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

HUDDLER

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:33 AM

I call the electorate at large sheep and morons just because they do NOT think. They are taken in by deception all the time. From both sides.

A bit different than calling you a name personally like racist or my favorite "fugtard". I don't have conversations here on the Huddle with the electorate at large, but with individuals

Racist like when you said I, SZ, hate white people

And I'm glad you're merely passive agressive with name calling and calling entire groups morons instead of just one person. Huge difference bro.

#100 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

HUDDLER

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:05 AM

Here is what I said, one of several posts about you not clinging to a certain ideology and opening your eyes and your future happiness. But what do I know, I am a racist fugtard.

You are a young man, you have a lot of life in front of you. You would do well not to see a white sheet behind every corner. Your life will be much more enjoyable if you distinguish a bit more between good and bad, black and white.

You might even find some guys who enjoyed Lyn Skyn and also enjoy having a beer with you. Throwing up KKK pics for Brad Paisly and LL is so off base. These guys were embracing differences and moving ahead. Are you afraid of that? Don't be. Don't be so invested in an ideology that you miss the bus. Things are getting better, not miss out. Don't wake up at 60 and realize a life of hating all whites because of some morons in the past.

#101 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

HUDDLER

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:14 AM

Here is what I said, one of several posts about you not clinging to a certain ideology and opening your eyes and your future happiness. But what do I know, I am a racist fugtard.

You are a young man, you have a lot of life in front of you. You would do well not to see a white sheet behind every corner. Your life will be much more enjoyable if you distinguish a bit more between good and bad, black and white.

You might even find some guys who enjoyed Lyn Skyn and also enjoy having a beer with you. Throwing up KKK pics for Brad Paisly and LL is so off base. These guys were embracing differences and moving ahead. Are you afraid of that? Don't be. Don't be so invested in an ideology that you miss the bus. Things are getting better, not miss out. Don't wake up at 60 and realize a life of hating all whites because of some morons in the past.

So why do I hate all whites? Your backpedaling is oh so cute.

#102 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

HUDDLER

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:17 AM

First of all, if you read the other posts, I stated that they were advice, nothing more. I said "DON'T" wake up at 60 and realize you had spent your life hating white people.

I am not certain what your feelings are toward white people. Please characterize them for me. What is your general feelings toward white people?

#103 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

HUDDLER

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:21 AM

Don't wake up at sixty and realize you spent your whole life thinking the n-word isn't offensive because of it's origins

e: just advice nothing more