Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Inimicus

Fan Bases: Geography vs. Reality

42 posts in this topic

Weird group of falcons fans out in Montana...

Probably some sort of compound that will be on the news someday.

I live in Atlanta. Looking at my friends list there are 7 people whose name starts with an A alone who I know are Falcons fans and don't like their page. No I don't think you can use Facebook likes to determine how popular a team is.

Yeah, it's more of a Facebook fans by region. Not accurate at all.

I live in Atlanta. Looking at my friends list there are 7 people whose name starts with an A alone who I know are Falcons fans and don't like their page. No I don't think you can use Facebook likes to determine how popular a team is.

Your argument doesn't make any logical sense. Of course there are fans that don't like their team's pages. In fact, the percentage that do is probably fairly small when compared to a teams total fans. Having said that, however, the only way that you could argue that the results don't portray an accurate cross section of the nation's fan dispersion, especially considering the massive sample size of Facebook, is if you argued that one subset of fans is more likely to "like" their team than another - otherwise all of you anecdotes would just be statistical irrelevancies.

datasource is fundamentally flawed given how heavily it's relied on for conclusion. the sad truth is the panthers may actually be over-represented.

Your argument doesn't make any logical sense. Of course there are fans that don't like their team's pages. In fact, the percentage that do is probably fairly small when compared to a teams total fans. Having said that, however, the only way that you could argue that the results don't portray an accurate cross section of the nation's fan dispersion, especially considering the massive sample size of Facebook, is if you argued that one subset of fans is more likely to "like" their team than another - otherwise all of you anecdotes would just be statistical irrelevancies.

It is very possible that fans of winning teams are more likely to like their team page due to fans of losing teams being embarrassed but that wasn't my point. As an example, there could be 20 people total in South Carolina who like any team's page on Facebook. You certainly couldn't say that was an accurate representation of the state as a whole. I don't think you can take something a large portion of people don't do and call that accurate.

datasource is fundamentally flawed given how heavily it's relied on for conclusion. the sad truth is the panthers may actually be over-represented.

This was my initial reaction... Wow, that many Panther fans, sweet!

Look at those fuging Dallas Appalachia mountain folk. Those people don't even leave the county, WHY ARE THEY COWBOY FANS!?

The Raiders should move back to LA.

No thank you

hahaha people take a highschool stat class and think theyre a fuggin statitician... This is the dumbest map i have ever seen. Sure there are steelers fans here but there are a TON more Cowboy and Redskin fans...hell even more falcons fans. Facebook is NOT what you go to for an accurate representation of anything.

This was my initial reaction... Wow, that many Panther fans, sweet!

Look at those fuging Dallas Appalachia mountain folk. Those people don't even leave the county, WHY ARE THEY COWBOY FANS!?

because of their fond memories of eating squirrel stew with paw paw and watching the cowboys game on the only channel they got on the tv box.

Isn't this really just where that team is shown on television?